Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066786 times)

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9475 on: September 05, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
IMO the Big east is K-States and KU's fall back plan.

Option One: Big 12 stays together and get to 12 schools

Option Two: Texas says no to the PAC 12 and K-State and KU get the invite with OU and OSU (OU sounds like its gone either way if Option one falls apart)

Option Three: This is the option I like: Negotiate with the parting schools to not desolve the Big 12 in exchange we don't charge them exit fees. Fire Puppet Dan Beebe and with the help of Mark Cuban reform the Big 12. Go after the Big East football schools and SEC and maybe stick it to the PAC 12 and go after Arizona and Arizon State. Get us to 16 teams.

Fall Back Option: Join the Big East and crap on ISU and Baylor on our way out.
RIP Fatty

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
RIP Fatty

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
Starting to get confused with all of the back & forth crap going on;  why, if everyone is pissed about texas being texas, would everyone in the south go to a conference that texas will also be joining?  someone please explain this to me.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: September 05, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
Starting to get confused with all of the back & forth crap going on;  why, if everyone is pissed about texas being texas, would everyone in the south go to a conference that texas will also be joining?  someone please explain this to me.

the thought is that the Pac 12 is strong/stable enough to not let Texas push them around. But I don't understand what everyone thinks Texas is doing to push everyone around and none of this makes any sense to me any more.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: September 05, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »

the thought is that the Pac 12 is strong/stable enough to not let Texas push them around. But I don't understand what everyone thinks Texas is doing to push everyone around and none of this makes any sense to me any more.

I don't think this has anything to do with Texas being a bully anymore. That was just aTm's reason for leaving. Now this all has to do with perception. The national perception is that the Big XII is falling apart. As we all know, perception eventually becomes reality. I'm sure Stoops was tired of phone calls from recruits asking him what conference OU would be playing in next year. As such, OU wants off the boat that appears to be sinking.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9480 on: September 05, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »

I don't think this has anything to do with Texas being a bully anymore. That was just aTm's reason for leaving. Now this all has to do with perception. The national perception is that the Big XII is falling apart. As we all know, perception eventually becomes reality. I'm sure Stoops was tired of phone calls from recruits asking him what conference OU would be playing in next year. As such, OU wants off the boat that appears to be sinking.

OU does not leave with out Texas and it has nothing to do with RRR. OU's Texas recruiting pipeline would be cut off.
RIP Fatty

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
It's a mistake to infer that people should be happy with unequal revenue sharing with Texas now simply because they voted for unequal revenue sharing in general in the past.  When they voted, they may not have realized the extent to which it would be unequal and were unhappy once it was staring them in the face.  NU and A&M are probably also hypocrital and self interested such that they thought they would be the big boys along with Texas, not sharing as much money with the little guys.  

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: September 05, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
Overall, this does seem like it could just be a bunch of posturing by OU to get their own network.  Others in this thread have pointed out the similarity to Texas last year.

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: September 05, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
Overall, this does seem like it could just be a bunch of posturing by OU to get their own network.  Others in this thread have pointed out the similarity to Texas last year.

The fact that these moves are being made during the start of Football season make me believe that this is all just show boating. Even A&M "withdrawing" could be just to force Texas to make changes to the LHN to include it with equal sharing. You know the football coaches hate all this going on right now. It is hurting there recruiting against the other schools in stable leagues.
RIP Fatty

catzacker

« Reply #9484 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
It's a mistake to infer that people should be happy with unequal revenue sharing with Texas now simply because they voted for unequal revenue sharing in general in the past.  When they voted, they may not have realized the extent to which it would be unequal and were unhappy once it was staring them in the face.  NU and A&M are probably also hypocrital and self interested such that they thought they would be the big boys along with Texas, not sharing as much money with the little guys.  

this.  NU was pissed because they went from being the Texas of the big 8 to, well, the Nebraska of the Big 12.  They went from having "the" rivalry of the conference to playing Colorado on Thanksgiving and watched the UT/OU game grow even bigger.  But those assholes always voted to keep unequal revenue sharing.  A&M is pissed because UT was getting even more money, but they had no problem with keeping an equal share compared to the rest of the league.  Same with OU.  It was always OU/UT/NU/A&M blocking everything that would have made the conferfence more stable:  a big 12 network and equal revenue sharing.  By trying like hell to retain their power, they (OU, NU, A&M) essentially gave more to UT.  When you make a league about who has the biggest dick, then, well, the guy with the biggest dick is going to win/have more money.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:56:28 AM by catzacker »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: September 05, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
It's a mistake to infer that people should be happy with unequal revenue sharing with Texas now simply because they voted for unequal revenue sharing in general in the past.  When they voted, they may not have realized the extent to which it would be unequal and were unhappy once it was staring them in the face.  NU and A&M are probably also hypocrital and self interested such that they thought they would be the big boys along with Texas, not sharing as much money with the little guys. 

I didn't think the inequality was very bad when you added it all up. It's more about butthurt than anything.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
It's a mistake to infer that people should be happy with unequal revenue sharing with Texas now simply because they voted for unequal revenue sharing in general in the past.  When they voted, they may not have realized the extent to which it would be unequal and were unhappy once it was staring them in the face.  NU and A&M are probably also hypocrital and self interested such that they thought they would be the big boys along with Texas, not sharing as much money with the little guys. 

I didn't think the inequality was very bad when you added it all up. It's more about butthurt than anything.

Agree.  I was addressing the idea I keep reading that NU and A&M were pro revenue sharing merely on the basis that they voted for it.  I'm sure that for a fuckhead like Tom Osbourne, it was (among other things) largely a matter of principle in his mind.  What's worse, I think, is that it seems like NU and A&M are probably to some extent attributing lack of success on the field to unequal revenue sharing.  I mean, can you imagine either leaving the conference if they are successful?  It's difficult.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
From Kirk Bohls

Assuming only a doornail is deader than the Big 12, Texas is left with four options, with a desire for Pac-12 membership remaining at the top of the wish list. The other three are becoming an independent, knocking on the Big Ten's door, or convincing Oklahoma to stay and seek a blockbuster Big 12 merger with the ACC or Big East, for the country's first super-conference.

Going independent loses the shot at an automatic BCS berth, conference revenue and the security of scheduling, especially for Olympic sports. I'm not sure the Big Ten would take OU (partly because of academics and partly because Oklahoma State would be in tow), but if I were Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, I'd invite Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame (very improbable likelihood this would happen). But Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe should roll the dice and shoot for an 18-team league with North Carolina, Duke, Florida State, Maryland, Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse and Connecticut.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/9-things-and-1-crazy-prediction-1820115.html

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: September 05, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
....Also, I should have noted that Kirk Bohls is clearly more stupider than most of us.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: September 05, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
....Also, I should have noted that Kirk Bohls is clearly more stupider than most of us.

Yeah, incredible how stupid some of these people are

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »
If we're adding UCONN, we should just add Hawaii, too. And Easter Island.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
If we're adding UCONN, we should just add Hawaii, too. And Easter Island.

Sounds good to me
RIP Fatty

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
Also, it should be noted that the prerequisite for us joining the Big East is the "official" dissolving of the conference or some sort of binding agreement that says we don't have to pay the exit fees.  We aren't going anywhere with those in place.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
Also, it should be noted that the prerequisite for us joining the Big East is the "official" dissolving of the conference or some sort of binding agreement that says we don't have to pay the exit fees.  We aren't going anywhere with those in place.

I don't think this will be much of a concern

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: September 05, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Isn't K-State to the Big East Frank Martin's wet dream?

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9495 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:50 AM »
Isn't K-State to the Big East Frank Martin's wet dream?

Frank does not have Wet Dreams

Wet has Frank Dreams
RIP Fatty

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: September 05, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
Are these people just adding in states where they have golfing buddies at this point?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
Are these people just adding in states where they have golfing buddies at this point?

Yes, confirmed.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
We might have trouble convincing TV networks to pay as much if they weren't getting Texas.   :dunno:
We have a great 2nd tier contract with Fox and we are due to renegotiate our 1st tier contract in 2115-16 yr.  If we took all 8 football schools and with our 4 or 5 remaining schools and cash from schools leaving, we should be the better deal.  :kstategrad:

You are assuming MU or WVU don't get poached by the acc. 

Certainly this is a typo.  ACC, are you shitting me?  Familiarize yourself with TV contracts, doom.  The ACC's contract is a shitty $155 million a year for the next 11 years.  They aren't poaching anyone from anywhere.  $155 million is what the Big 12 is getting right now with less teams and soon to be expiring tier 1 rights.  The only thing preventing the destruction of the ACC is geography.

Actually partially is a typo.  Meant to put acc/sec.  But I think WVU is a remote possibility for either.  MU is just the SEC, but the loss of either of those schools would devalue our band of refugees.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »
So is there a way where the remaining schools can collect and divide exit fees from Aggies, Sooners, Horns etc etc. before we accept a Big East invite? BSAC plz advise.  :crossfingers: