Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4070286 times)

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9375 on: September 04, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »
Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said by telephone after the Oklahoma news broke Saturday that he would not expect his league to feel pressure to start poaching schools. The Big Ten just added Nebraska to move it to 12 members.

“For us, I don’t think it really changes a lot for us,” Delany said. “We’d likely not be reactive. That’s my take on it. We thought a lot about 12 to 14 and the 16 when we had the opportunity last year. I don’t think that our thinking will change by what others will do. I don’t know it will change for others. Our view, really, is that it’s about quality and not quantity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/sports/big-12-to-pac-12-oklahoma-ponders-a-move.html?_r=2

I think Delany won't make a move unless that move includes Notre Dame.  

The ACC seems strangely content in sticking together.

The Big East will be looking for some additions to get to twelve teams prior to their upcoming television negotiations.

If the Big 12 falls apart in the next couple of weeks, it makes Mizzou the easiest pick out there for the SEC.

KU and KSU to the Big East.  Maybe ISU, but they'll have to figure out what to do about this dance with Villanova.  ISU probably won't wait that long and they'll join a different conference.

Baylor is screwed no matter what.

Big East should just add UCF instead of working out plans with 'Nova

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: September 04, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
I think it's a bad assumption to think that Texas would necessarily follow OU if OU left.  It's part of that media superconference bullshit. 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #9377 on: September 04, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said by telephone after the Oklahoma news broke Saturday that he would not expect his league to feel pressure to start poaching schools. The Big Ten just added Nebraska to move it to 12 members.

“For us, I don’t think it really changes a lot for us,” Delany said. “We’d likely not be reactive. That’s my take on it. We thought a lot about 12 to 14 and the 16 when we had the opportunity last year. I don’t think that our thinking will change by what others will do. I don’t know it will change for others. Our view, really, is that it’s about quality and not quantity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/sports/big-12-to-pac-12-oklahoma-ponders-a-move.html?_r=2

I think Delany won't make a move unless that move includes Notre Dame.  

The ACC seems strangely content in sticking together.

The Big East will be looking for some additions to get to twelve teams prior to their upcoming television negotiations.

If the Big 12 falls apart in the next couple of weeks, it makes Mizzou the easiest pick out there for the SEC.

KU and KSU to the Big East.  Maybe ISU, but they'll have to figure out what to do about this dance with Villanova.  ISU probably won't wait that long and they'll join a different conference.

Baylor is screwed no matter what.

Big East should just add UCF instead of working out plans with 'Nova

Well, it will be UCF/Villanova/Iowa State

Take your pick.  I know what I'd pick, but that's just because I think USF needs a rival.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: September 04, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »
I think it's a bad assumption to think that Texas would necessarily follow OU if OU left.  It's part of that media superconference bullshit. 

It is a bad assumption, but if those two leave (OU, OSU), it's going to be hard to put a conference back together, and the concessions Texas would have to make to attract quality members would negate the reason for staying.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: September 04, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: September 04, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »

Take your pick.  I know what I'd pick, but that's just because I think USF needs a rival.

USF is strongly against adding UCF though.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: September 04, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

USF is strongly against adding UCF though.

That makes it much easier to add Iowa State then.

Personally, and this is selfishness on my part, I'd rather they take Houston for #12 to give TCU a 'travel buddy' and to increase the Texas exposure.  But, whatever.

catzacker

« Reply #9382 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
More  on the LHN and how they can get out of it.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/09/03/is-longhorn-network-roadblock-to-texas-joining-pac-12/

its' never been about whether UT could get out of the LHN or if the LHN was a roadblock, it was whether Texas wanted to share with everyone.  The Texas Fox Sports (or whatever it would be called) would make more money than the Arizona Fox Sports...but that wouldn't matter, all monies would be pooled and shared amongst all Pac-12/16 members, equally.  That has never been a model that Texas (or for that matter Texas A&M, Oklahoma or Nebraska) has ever voted for....which is hilarious because those assholes are the ones that are breaking the conference apart because it instability...which is caused because revenues aren't shared).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
..which is hilarious because those assholes are the ones that are breaking the conference apart because it instability...which is caused because revenues aren't shared).

No, the instability is purely caused by butthurt.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »
 :kstategrad:

It is a bad assumption, but if those two leave (OU, OSU), it's going to be hard to put a conference back together, and the concessions Texas would have to make to attract quality members would negate the reason for staying.

they'll have no trouble attracting teams like air force or new mexico.  that's what i'd do if it was me.  remember how fsu in the old (weak) acc was in the national title hunt every year?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »
When all this is over and we look back upon what we had, there will be regret.  There will be an inverse relationship between the half life of excitement about joining a new conference and the largest distance traveled between that school and the new conference partners.  The only caveat is schools going BCS to non-BCS.

As a society and as fans, we deserve this because we let ESPN and tv markets pervert the only thing unique to college sports, which is traditional rivalries within small geographical areas and accessibility and for fans.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: September 04, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
When all this is over and we look back upon what we had, there will be regret.  There will be an inverse relationship between the half life of excitement about joining a new conference and the largest distance traveled between that school and the new conference partners.  The only caveat is schools going BCS to non-BCS.

As a society and as fans, we deserve this because we let ESPN and tv markets pervert the only thing unique to college sports, which is traditional rivalries within small geographical areas and accessibility and for fans.

:thumbs:

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: September 04, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
crap just got real.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »

That's what makes this so interesting. Texas as the wild card in this whole thing is what creates so much uncertainty. All this talk of Texas and Tech to the PAC 12 right now is probably the OU equivalent of A&M's "gone to the SEC immediately, done deal" thing a couple of weeks back: 99% coming from OU in an attempt to force the dialogue.

OU and OSU *could* go PAC 12 without Texas right now. PAC 12 might go for that to get into the heart of Big 12 country, the Dallas market, and increase the odds of eventually landing Texas.

What would then be Texas' best option? They're going to have legislative pushback if Baylor or Tech gets left out, but who knows whether it will be enough to affect anything. They might not like the perception of having their hand forced by OU, especially when they still have a pretty sweet deal in the Big 12 (which would presumably get even sweeter with the new teams that would be brought in). So maybe they stick around and bring in BYU and Air Force and Houston while they survey the landscape over the next year or two.

Don't really see Texas to the SEC. That would essentially be them following aTm in, and doubt they'd be interested in giving aTm that win. Also, SEC academics seem lower than Texas would want.

Texas to the Big 10 could be likeliest ultimate scenario, but still don't see that immediately, until Texas can milk some of this revenue before going to the Big 10's revenue sharing.

If Texas and Tech do join OU and OSU in going PAC 12, then the question becomes whether this precipitates any other conference jumping to 16 teams in the race to 64. I would actually be surprised if the Big 10 or SEC immediately acts to try to get to 16, unless Big 10 thinks Notre Dame is now in play. Both those leagues are guaranteed to be one of the superconferences when they choose to go to that, so they don't actually have to worry about expanding until that actually happens.

The real issue will be whether the Big East and/or the ACC believe that they have to act to get to 16 right now to position themselves to be the the 4th superconference. Both conferences would be vulnerable to losing teams to either the Big 10 or the SEC when either of those conferences decide to expand. The Big East is a more solid football conference right now, but they'd likely have to add ACC teams to get to 16, and ACC teams aren't likely to leave for the Big East until the SEC poaches a couple of ACC teams and puts its future in doubt. The Big East would probably try to take advantage of its existing affiliation with Notre Dame, but like the Big 10 and SEC, Notre Dame probably won't act until it's decided to go to the 64 team superconferences across the board.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: September 04, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
crap just got real.

Yep, fans will regret all of this in the end. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9390 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
Who knew that being a smaller university than many mid-majors, in a sparse TV market would relegate us to a non-BCS conference?

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: September 04, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/sports/big-12-to-pac-12-oklahoma-ponders-a-move.html

boren's comment is telling.  Great article.

If consolidation is such a great thing, Why not just one big conference with all the teams part of it with small divisions?  Oh wait that's what we have now
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:17:15 AM by Fuktard »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: September 04, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »

I actually think ESPN is our only hope. They know the geographic rivalries are valuable.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/sports/big-12-to-pac-12-oklahoma-ponders-a-move.html

Why not just one big conference with all the teams part of it with small divisions?  Oh wait that's what we have now

Last year, the Big East engaged Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri in discussions when the Big 12 looked fragile.

If the three of us could stay together in a BCS conference, I'm cool with however it goes down. I don't think MU to the SEC would be the logical slam dunk everyone here seems to think it is. NC State, WVU, and VaTech are probably all more attractive possibilities for a 13th SEC team.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: September 04, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
oklahoma to the pac-10. seriously. what. the. eff. what. the. eff.

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:32 AM »
Boakai's wacky idea that will never happen, but should:

Texas, Texas Tech, KU, and K-State to the Pac 12. The alliance will be branded the 'K-State Four', in recognition of the four school's athletic director's ties to Kansas State University. We would be back in a division with Colorado and probably add Utah. Academically K-State already sits above several current Pac 12 schools* and are well ahead of Texas Tech*, so don't go bringin' that up. Pac 12 becomes Pac 16 and gains huge TV markets in the midwest. This also allows the Pac 12 to dodge a bullet regarding splitting the revenue pie with Colorado, who hasn't had a large money generating fanbase in years.

Reasons it won't happen: OU currently shopping Pac 12 essentially blocking the Kansas schools. Dodd's making public statements in attempt to save the Big 12 instead. People seem adamant about leaving K-State out of the discussion.

OU, OSU, Mizzou go to the SEC. This would bring the SEC to 16 teams. It fits well regionally and expands the SEC's market westward.  Mizzou, and to a lesser degree OU, could improve the SEC's poor academic perception.

Reasons it won't happen: OU and OSU shopping Pac 12. OU thinks they are too good academically for the SEC (LOL). Alden seems to always have his head up his rear. He was over zealous during the first realignments and this time he is seemingly out of the loop and uninformed.

ISU - Big 10. AAU (unlike Nebraska). In a Big 10 state already (unlike Nebraska). Good academics (ranked higher than Nebraska*). Larger student body (than Nebraska). The Hawkeyes need to not be jerks about it and let them in.

Reasons it wont happen: Iowa will be jerks. Strong perception that ISU will add no value to the conference while forcing them to split the pie more ways. Will have to shop for a 14th or expand to 16 teams.

Baylor - Don't care.

Basically Academic institutions need to do what's right for their region of the country and for the schools that lie in those regions. This holds true no matter what conference they are in. Letting TV networks boss them around and put a value on their universities lowers the value of higher education and college athletics as a whole. I actually don't think ESPN cares that much about rivalries. They think that important rivalries will exist regardless, but in the form of non conference games. Thus, they get to have their cake and eat it too.

*U.S. News college rankings
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:28:38 AM by Boakai »

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: September 04, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »

Why not just one big conference with all the teams part of it with small divisions?  Oh wait that's what we have now

Last year, the Big East engaged Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri in discussions when the Big 12 looked fragile.

If the three of us could stay together in a BCS conference, I'm cool with however it goes down. I don't think MU to the SEC would be the logical slam dunk everyone here seems to think it is. NC State, WVU, and VaTech are probably all more attractive possibilities for a 13th SEC team.

I hear rumors that A&M has the 13th spot locked down.  :grin:  Serious question though, wouldn't MU deliver more TV's than any of the schools you listed (since they have the state to themselves).  I think the only reason that MU wouldn't get the offer is because the SEC doesn't want to look like they broke up the Big 12.......now if the Pac does that for them and they are just picking up the pieces from the broken Big 12 then I see MU as a top option.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: September 04, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
Can I get one link or published reference that actually states that the true desire of the conference commissioners (and not playoff zealot columnists) is actually to create four super-conferences?  We know Larry Scott wants this, but Jim Delany doesn't seem to outwardly desire this.  He outwardly desires Notre Dame and whatever it takes to get Notre Dame.

Mike Slive has never said he wants 16.  He said he can get 16, but he's having a hard time even getting there because no one in the ACC seems to want to leave their academic ivory tower, which isn't something any of the columnists predicted.

Neither the ACC or the Big East really have the juice, right now, to get to 16.  The ACC is on the front end of their TV deal, which wasn't that impressive to begin with, and the Big East has a eight basketball only schools that severely limit their flexibility.  12 schools is all they can hope for without abandoning the original basketball schools.

So, really, where is it stated, other than columnists who want a 64 team division that leads to a playoff, that this is what the conferences actually want?  Or has this just been stated over and over again by people until it was accepted as fact?

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: September 04, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
kerkhoff: http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_18824261

lol at equal revenue sharing advocate, T Boone Pickens
"This conversation is going to come up every year as long as the conference is not equal," he said. "You've got to have an equal deal like the SEC. You can fix the Big 12 now, but it's got to go to an equal deal, and it's not equal."

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: September 04, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Academics = Money. Why do people insist on thinking they are anything different? Academics is a nice word to cloak people's desire for prestige and money.