Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068749 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #6975 on: June 04, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
Is it possible, maybe, that no one wanted KU and beems has been lying to us this whole time?

I doubt he was lying.  Most KU fans seem to have gotten some false information from Nate Bukaty, Bob Fescoe, or the Phog.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: June 04, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
Is it possible, maybe, that no one wanted KU and beems has been lying to us this whole time?

I doubt he was lying.  Most KU fans seem to have gotten some false information from Nate Bukaty, Bob Fescoe, or the Phog.

Stuck in his own paradigm, per usual.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: June 04, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Would've been nice if he'd referenced the Certificate.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: June 04, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
My god we were so close to being in the mountain west

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »

Didn't captaincrap all but confirm that we would have gone to the Big East if this all went down? Or just that we had an option that wasn't Missouri Valley?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: June 04, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
lol @ Chip begging for validation. Must be in the blood at rivals.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: June 04, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

Could you imagine if Fitz was in his place when all this went down?

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: June 04, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »

Didn't captaincrap all but confirm that we would have gone to the Big East if this all went down? Or just that we had an option that wasn't Missouri Valley?
I don't know who confirmed what, but I think the Big East adding TCU once everything looked like it had died down is a pretty tell-tale sign that the Big East was at least looking into expanding into this neck of the woods. I still wonder if the BE was already in talks with TCU when this was all going down and thinking they could pluck KSU, KU, and MU up as well. That would moved their football numbers up to an 12 (KSU, KU, MU, TCU, Louisville, Cincy would have actually been a decent looking division) and 20 in bball (I'd love to see the scheduling/alignment that went down with that).

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: June 04, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »

Could you imagine if Fitz was in his place when all this went down?

No, because that would involve working and actual journalism.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: June 04, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
......and having any trustworthiness and credibility whatsoever.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: June 04, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Rough, off the top of my head calculations say a baseline TV payout to all Big 12 teams starting in 2011 of about $11.5 million per school.   Of course some schools will far exceed that based on their Tier 1 appearances.   

That is just TV, that doesn't include Bowl Payout and NCAA tourney payout.   

So, Texas, with their network will pulling down around a minimum of $26.5 million a year from TV. 

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: June 04, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »
There was absolutely zero chance we would have ever ended up in the mountain west.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: June 04, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
There was absolutely zero chance we would have ever ended up in the mountain west.

100% chance we were Big East bound had crap hit the fan

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:29 PM »

according to whom?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: June 04, 2011, 10:59:53 PM »

according to whom?

:dubious:

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6990 on: June 05, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »

according to whom?

:dubious:

Anyone with a pulse

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: June 05, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
I'm going to try to aviod the UT/Nebraska banter.  This is a very good thing for the conference.  Giving everyone an equal share of the Tier 2 rights and a greater share of the Tier 1 will help bring the bottom a little closer to the top financially.  Leaving part of the Tier 1 available for people who schedule higher profile games continues to give a monetary incentive to play them...and since everyone gets to keep their Tier 3 rights, it keeps schools like KU/UT/OU etc. happy.  Solid move.  It gives the Big XII schools the safety net of having an equal share but gives the higher profile schools a chance to earn more individually through their Tier 3 rights.  It also gives some of the also rans an opportunity to grow their Tier 3 rights.
gotta keep 'em happy
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: June 05, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »
KU/UT/OU?!  Which squawk board did ypu get that off of?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: June 05, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
doesn't really matter, they are all the same at the phog. They are very similar to Nebraska fans. They circle jerk to the same ideas long enough that, in their minds, it becomes fact. Makes for some good lols though.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: June 05, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
doesn't really matter, they are all the same at the phog. They are very similar to Nebraska fans. They circle jerk to the same ideas long enough that, in their minds, it becomes fact. Makes for some good lols though.
At ku, it's institutional.  First, and above every other objective, ku tell its stakeholders, whether its true or not, that ku is the best of whatever is being discussed.  Even during last years football season, a complete wreck, most ku fans actually believed that ku football was near the top of the conference because of the '07 orange bowl.  I'm serious, people exposed to ku cannot think objectively about that school.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »

Big East may have been an option, but it was much more likely that the remaining 5 schools would have stayed together and invited new schools into a new Big 12. When schools leave the conference, they forfeit their voting rights. Including on matters such as dissolving the league. So the remaining 5 schools could have voted to keep the league (and its name and BCS status), collected exit fees from the other 7, and then invited 5-7 new schools.

Keeping the Big 12 together with the Texas/Oklahoma schools was always plan a, the revamped Big 12 with the Orphan5+new guys was plan b. Big East was out there as plan c, but really only if super conferences started to form.

And as I have said before, in all 3 plans KU and K-State were working to stay together.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: June 06, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »

Big East may have been an option, but it was much more likely that the remaining 5 schools would have stayed together and invited new schools into a new Big 12. When schools leave the conference, they forfeit their voting rights. Including on matters such as dissolving the league. So the remaining 5 schools could have voted to keep the league (and its name and BCS status), collected exit fees from the other 7, and then invited 5-7 new schools.

Keeping the Big 12 together with the Texas/Oklahoma schools was always plan a, the revamped Big 12 with the Orphan5+new guys was plan b. Big East was out there as plan c, but really only if super conferences started to form.

And as I have said before, in all 3 plans KU and K-State were working to stay together.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »

Great insight, Captain Crap...this version sounds like the most plausible.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »

good stuff cc.  If Texas was Pac10 bound super conferences were formed

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: June 06, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »

glad things landed how they did, but can you imagine how amazing/entertaining it would have been to have the BCS status and to fill a 5-7 team void?  Not just any void either, but one without a huge power team in it.  Pretty much the largest team to fill that void would own the conference.  Would have been like selling a BCS autobid to the highest bidder. 

Would have been fantastic bbs'n.