Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066855 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36525 on: February 08, 2024, 01:06:39 PM »
honestly wouldn't mind if the top 20 richest schools to go eff off and glaze each other leaving us to run things. sick of their crap!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36526 on: February 08, 2024, 01:36:37 PM »
honestly wouldn't mind if the top 20 richest schools to go eff off and glaze each other leaving us to run things. sick of their crap!

It will be the top 40 probably, but I get it.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36527 on: February 08, 2024, 01:46:15 PM »
top 40 would suck. 20 max. would think they trim the fat. but maybe not

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36528 on: February 08, 2024, 01:46:36 PM »
Our facilities will be world class compared to the rest of our division and we will win football national championships like we are judging crops.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36529 on: February 08, 2024, 01:47:53 PM »
Our facilities will be world class compared to the rest of our division and we will win football national championships like we are judging crops.

Maybe so, but if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to see the smell of the fresh pine needles, Jesus will weep.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36530 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:55 PM »

Maybe so, but if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to see the smell of the fresh pine needles, Jesus will weep.

I will be there. Or I will be streaming the game on Paramount+ or something. But I will see it all the same.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36531 on: February 10, 2024, 06:19:51 PM »
Is this real? What's going on, here?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36532 on: February 10, 2024, 06:46:36 PM »
Is it your opinion that this happened because Arkansas left the SWC?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36533 on: February 10, 2024, 06:52:47 PM »
I posted it in the wrong thread. I have no opinion. That's why I was asking for help.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36534 on: February 10, 2024, 08:52:49 PM »
I posted it in the wrong thread. I have no opinion. That's why I was asking for help.
YOU ARE GOD DAMN RIGHT YOU POSTED IT IN THE WRONG THREAD!

It is a very interesting story tho.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #36535 on: February 10, 2024, 09:02:31 PM »
Twitter search for "Arkansas Love Triangle" leads me to a belief that Mizzou message board started the rumor.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36536 on: February 10, 2024, 09:28:29 PM »
YOU ARE GOD DAMN RIGHT YOU POSTED IT IN THE WRONG THREAD!

It is a very interesting story tho.

What's funny is the thread I intended to post it in probably isn't the right thread. What is the right thread?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #36537 on: February 10, 2024, 09:37:31 PM »
Its own thread

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36538 on: February 10, 2024, 09:39:20 PM »
On its face, it sounds like a bunch of malarkey, and I don't want to start a thread about a bunch of malarkey. C'mon, Jack.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36539 on: February 19, 2024, 08:23:17 AM »
Does anyone know what the ACC's network pay is per contract with ESPN?  If you guessed $8 million per school per year you are correct.  The rest of their annual payment is a combined total of the ACC network pay, bowl games, and CFP money.  That gets them to the mid 30s with only an increase of 4% annually.  LOL No wonder FSU is jelly of UCF.  If anyone thinks they won't hop on over the Big XII if BY will take them just does know much about Athletic Department greed.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36540 on: February 19, 2024, 09:30:16 AM »
Does anyone know what the ACC's network pay is per contract with ESPN?  If you guessed $8 million per school per year you are correct.  The rest of their annual payment is a combined total of the ACC network pay, bowl games, and CFP money.  That gets them to the mid 30s with only an increase of 4% annually.  LOL No wonder FSU is jelly of UCF.  If anyone thinks they won't hop on over the Big XII if BY will take them just does know much about Athletic Department greed.

The ACC has both a grant of rights, and a flat exit fee of "three times the league's operating budget" which is currently $130M, which run through 2036.

FSU will only leave when (Revenue from new conference) + (Private donations) => (GOR) + (Exit Fee). 

I suppose (Revenue from new conference) could include a signing bonus or something to help FSU offset the cost of their ACC GOR, for example.  I doubt that the big 10 or SEC will be willing to pay to get FSU...I'd think they both would like to have them, but it seems far fetched to think that they would bend over backwards to do so.  I think it's unlikely that the Big 12 membership would agree to take less money in order to fund a get out of jail fee for FSU.

So, my bet is that FSU is stuck where they are until they have private donations >= $130M, AND GOR has only a small number of years left on it.  My guess is that FSU leaves the ACC around 2034 or so.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36541 on: February 19, 2024, 11:32:58 AM »

The ACC has both a grant of rights, and a flat exit fee of "three times the league's operating budget" which is currently $130M, which run through 2036.

FSU will only leave when (Revenue from new conference) + (Private donations) => (GOR) + (Exit Fee). 

I suppose (Revenue from new conference) could include a signing bonus or something to help FSU offset the cost of their ACC GOR, for example.  I doubt that the big 10 or SEC will be willing to pay to get FSU...I'd think they both would like to have them, but it seems far fetched to think that they would bend over backwards to do so.  I think it's unlikely that the Big 12 membership would agree to take less money in order to fund a get out of jail fee for FSU.

So, my bet is that FSU is stuck where they are until they have private donations >= $130M, AND GOR has only a small number of years left on it.  My guess is that FSU leaves the ACC around 2034 or so.

I can't imagine what college athletics will look like then. Maybe they'll have a conference that wants them by then?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36542 on: February 19, 2024, 12:19:11 PM »
Twitter search for "Arkansas Love Triangle" leads me to a belief that Mizzou message board started the rumor.

Those zaney Antlers are at it again!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36543 on: February 19, 2024, 12:56:22 PM »

Pete, I think you're missing the point.  The ACC is only getting 8 million from the ESPN network deal, so the multiplier should be the number of years remaining plus the exit fee.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36544 on: February 19, 2024, 01:46:42 PM »

everything is negotiable

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36545 on: February 19, 2024, 02:12:59 PM »
Big 12 Media Days in Vegas
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #36546 on: February 19, 2024, 03:25:50 PM »

Those zaney Antlers are at it again!
Link me!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36547 on: February 19, 2024, 10:08:31 PM »
Pat Forde complains about something that actually helps to alleviate my fear of the big 2 breaking away.  The Power 4 conferences (and Big East) want to see the tournament field expand to include ore at large schools, which will benefit the Power 4 (and Big East) financially.  I hope that expansion of the tournament does happen and big 10 and SEC stay fat and happy and don't break away from the NCAA in men's basketball.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/02/19/forde-minutes-emotions-run-high-dont-mess-with-ncaa-tournament

Do not mess with the tournament

You heard the latest warning shots fired last week, when power-conference commissioners resumed chirping about ruining the beauty of a 68-team NCAA tournament (6).

It started years ago by expanding from the perfection of 64 to 68, selling the First Four concept in Dayton as a harmless little add-on. Now they want to add more so that the increasingly large power conferences can get more mid-pack teams into the field. Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey (7) planted that seed with Sports Illustrated in 2022, and it has grown since then. Several involved parties say the administrative momentum is there for expansion by anywhere from four to 12 teams—whether there is public support for it or not.

Ask around: Do any fans want a bigger Big Dance? Anyone clamoring for it? Not that The Minutes can hear.

The tournament is perfectly contained in three weeks of competition, laid out on a bracket that fits snugly on a printed piece of paper or a single computer screen. Expanding it would be like building a dream home and then deciding to put a tacky aluminum siding addition on the back. Bigger is not often better, and eventually bigger becomes worse. This would be worse.

Commissioners and athletic directors will trot out a line about percentage of participation in the championship. Currently, the field of 68 comprises 18.8% (8) of Division I—a lower percentage than some other sports have in their championship fields. But keep these two things in mind:

The NCAA keeps letting more schools move up to Division I, from 326 two decades ago to 345 in 2011, when they inflated the field from 64 to 68, to the current 362. Stop the bloat.
Every team that competes in its conference tournament has a chance to earn an NCAA bid. That’s the true start of March Madness, when leagues gather and compete in a single-elimination format for one of 32 automatic bids. So everyone who makes the conference tourney has that opportunity. (Fewer schools will get that opportunity as the mega-conference trend evolves next year, though. The Atlantic Coast Conference (9), for example, has already said it will cap its 2025 tourney at 15 teams, leaving three at home.)
Eventually, the needy and greedy power brokers of college sports will reach too far and it will backfire. Expanding the NCAA tournament is a risk that’s not worth the reward. Don’t mess with the best thing in college athletics.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36548 on: February 20, 2024, 09:05:26 AM »
I'm not yet at the point of too much of a good thing yet when it comes to the NCAA tournament.  The reasons he gives are silly and speak to not wanting to change something that might need to be changed, only because it's comfortable. The tournament hasn't grown at the same rate of the sport and stunting that growth only because we're used to a 64 team bracket, is really dumb.

The problem for me isn't an expanded tournament, it's that they're going to expand the tournament while minimizing the involvement of the non power conferences. The expansion will come with something stupid like a play in tournament comprised solely of 1 bid conferences, played on home courts to minimize costs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36549 on: February 20, 2024, 09:11:41 AM »
Pete, you and I don't see a lot of these business of college sports issues the same way. This is one where I think we'll find some common ground. This is real bad.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-has-not-yet-agreed-to-new-tv-contract-according-to-commissioner-on-cfp-management-committee-204500201.html
With their expansion of some of college football’s biggest brands, the SEC and Big Ten are expected to seek a bigger cut of the revenue pie as well as a governance structure that grants them more autonomy.