Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066614 times)

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35900 on: August 04, 2023, 01:37:34 PM »
What do you think the “Big 3” conferences look like in 2033?

Easier yet, what about just our B12?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35901 on: August 04, 2023, 01:42:01 PM »
Basically 20 teams in B12, ACC and SEC.  Might see them breakaway from NCAA and negotiate the whole thing as a package deal like the NFL. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35902 on: August 04, 2023, 01:43:39 PM »
Sorta like when the NCAA controlled all TV negotiations, but not the NCAA

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35903 on: August 04, 2023, 01:47:47 PM »
I am 100% sincere when I say bring Wazzou & Chainsaw Aggie instead of Utah & ASU.

With all due respect, that's silly as hell. Those have long been two G5 athletic departments in a P5 conference. Neither have had any sustained success in any sport. They have been drowning in the Pac 12 and you want to bring them into the Big 12? Come on man, their football attendance and ratings have been worse than KU. It sucks that they are getting demoted but they are in no way of the top 64 athletic departments in college athletics.

I must admit I liked the idea purely for spite which is why I don't get to make the decisions. Bring in ASU/UU, fine. Watching them fight it out amongst their in state rivals would be fun.

edit oh and I also did like us getting PST teams.

Yeah. I was sharing my opinion. I think they would be more fun. But I also have a concern that Utah & ASU would be toxic to the conference leaders. I get why most say take Utah/ASU, but I’d personally enjoy Oregon State & Wazzou more. Plus spite of Utah’s shitbird AD.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35904 on: August 04, 2023, 01:49:19 PM »
Strategically I am not opposed to leaving our UU and ASU.

1. It leaves more room to add ACC teams when they go through their shakeup
2. Although we are safe now who knows what will happen in the next round. I would rather have then weakened by being in a PACMWC for a decade just in case it is the ACC that survives and not the Big12.  We are probably screwed if that happens but at least our chances would be better than if they were in our conference.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35905 on: August 04, 2023, 01:50:59 PM »
I am 100% sincere when I say bring Wazzou & Chainsaw Aggie instead of Utah & ASU.

With all due respect, that's silly as hell. Those have long been two G5 athletic departments in a P5 conference. Neither have had any sustained success in any sport. They have been drowning in the Pac 12 and you want to bring them into the Big 12? Come on man, their football attendance and ratings have been worse than KU. It sucks that they are getting demoted but they are in no way of the top 64 athletic departments in college athletics.

I must admit I liked the idea purely for spite which is why I don't get to make the decisions. Bring in ASU/UU, fine. Watching them fight it out amongst their in state rivals would be fun.

Yeah. I was sharing my opinion. I think they would be more fun. But I also have a concern that Utah & ASU would be toxic to the conference leaders. I get why most say take Utah/ASU, but I’d personally enjoy Oregon State & Wazzou more.

More eager partners.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35906 on: August 04, 2023, 01:54:11 PM »

Yeah. I was sharing my opinion. I think they would be more fun. But I also have a concern that Utah & ASU would be toxic to the conference leaders. I get why most say take Utah/ASU, but I’d personally enjoy Oregon State & Wazzou more.

More eager partners.
If that's the bar, there are still better choices in the G5 right now.

kono

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35907 on: August 04, 2023, 02:02:30 PM »
If an ACC school is available that is more attractive than Utah and Arizona St, I would imagine we could amend our TV contract to have them added pretty easily.

We could still make ASU and Utah wait until they're grateful for the lifeline.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35908 on: August 04, 2023, 02:06:59 PM »
If an ACC school is available that is more attractive than Utah and Arizona St, I would imagine we could amend our TV contract to have them added pretty easily.

We could still make ASU and Utah wait until they're grateful for the lifeline.
Def. I think we all know they’re coming eventually. I’m ready for the ACC to implode and let all of this shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35909 on: August 04, 2023, 02:11:33 PM »
Def some wishful thinking but probably something similar to this eventually. Who knows how it will all shake up for the ACC demise?

BC, Wake, Oregon St, Wazzu, crap out of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35910 on: August 04, 2023, 02:12:20 PM »
I don't see how any ACC team escapes their current GOR. ESPN has no incentive to pay more for an ACC team to be in the SEC under the current agreement. The penalty will become less severe the closer we get to 2036 but right now it's basically impenetrable.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #35911 on: August 04, 2023, 02:16:50 PM »
conferences are utterly pointless.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35912 on: August 04, 2023, 02:22:43 PM »
Can we just take a minute to appreciate BY here.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1687516551283400707

Who exactly are the options if not ASU and Utah? I suppose staying at 14 is also an option.

Yep, 14.  If it happens its a solid option.

Ranking the remaining PAC members:

1. UofA - Solid fit, cares about athletics.  Why aren't they here yet?

2. Stanford - Don't laugh.  They can't go big 10 unless the conference modifies its research sharing policies.   Stanford didn't share with their PAC brethren and probably won't share with the big 10 for the sake of sports; major problem for the big 10 as an exception would  leave them the research / academic cancer UT was to Big XII athletics.  Also, surprisingly good brand in sports though that's not in my wheelhouse at all.

3. Cal - LOL,right?  Cal alums are way more tolerable than, say, Utah fans and this athletic department probably dies w/o an immediate P5 affiliation.  Whereas Stanford can probably survive as an independent for a while, Cal can't.  And the MWC ain't gonna cut it here.  But, sadly, Fat  Dawg is probably dead and  his warehouses auctioned off so there's really no reason to ever go to Berkeley again.

4. ASU - Baseball rocks.  Crow is getting up there, his expiration date is probably not far beyond that of the PAC. All the potential in the world here but do the alums care enough to push Crow out and install someone who isn't trying to kill off athletics?  If they do can they get it done?  Does the Big XII feel lucky?

5.  Utah /  Wazzou / OrSt - Pick 'em.  None of them adds much to the conference really.  Utah seems new-money toxic.

When you think about the above, think about the next big 10 and SEC media negotiations.  Any of 'em adding a $100M+?  If not they're subtracting.   Biggest reason for the Big XII to take 3 is  to ensure the PAC actually dies.

But if BY wants UConn give him UConn.  NE markets and hoops are what he does.  It's still innovate  or die in college athletics.

Reportedly FSU thinks the ACC GOR can be killed with 8 votes.  Perhaps the networks will find 8 landing spots for the best of the ACC and allow that to happen.  Or maybe the 8 most valuable properties will get a head start on the next wave of realignment and vote the laggards off the island by dissolving the conference and forming a new one that can generate higher payouts per team.  That's probably the next wave (looking at you big 10 and SEC). 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 02:32:12 PM by AzCat »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35913 on: August 04, 2023, 02:24:25 PM »
Let utah rot, they are so gross

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #35914 on: August 04, 2023, 02:28:02 PM »
my favorite option for the big 12 is to reconsider the ucf invite. don't need a create-a-school from orlando in the big 12. they seem like a fictional university.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35915 on: August 04, 2023, 02:32:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1687545130910101505?t=yNw50zdb2y6eH7ozbkDSUw&s=19

The Animal probably just went into his drafts and replaced Kansas with Washington.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35916 on: August 04, 2023, 02:33:26 PM »
my favorite option for the big 12 is to reconsider the ucf invite. don't need a create-a-school from orlando in the big 12. they seem like a fictional university.

Don’t disagree

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35917 on: August 04, 2023, 02:34:21 PM »
Let utah rot, they are so gross

From GoodForAnother on KSO :lol

if Utah and ASU get partial shares while BYU and Zona get full shares, we are likely to see some of the greatest Twitter and message board meltdowns in college sports history

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35918 on: August 04, 2023, 02:58:47 PM »
Everything I've read about Crow points to his being a dumbass.  Now, if his dumbassery was a long-term play to kill college athletics at ASU, then he's absolutely killing it.

Vis-a-vis athletics Crow is a cancer rather than a dumbass.  Worse, he's a reflection of the faction that's been running ASU for the last couple of decades.  That said ASU could certainly wind up in the Big XII and it's not at all difficult to envision them as *the* problem during any eastward expansion that might occur down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about him being a problem.  I heard the fans are pissed and much more importantly the major donors are pissed, per Jason Shear.  I was guess his days are numbered.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35919 on: August 04, 2023, 03:12:49 PM »
Basically 20 teams in B12, ACC and SEC.  Might see them breakaway from NCAA and negotiate the whole thing as a package deal like the NFL.

I agree completely.  The media package would be great with the negotiating strength of 48 to 64 of the top teams in college football.  Also, I don't think team poaching would be a thing either, since every team gets the same amount.  I don't know if incentives should stay at a conference or be shared equally. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35920 on: August 04, 2023, 03:27:26 PM »
ACC teams will be available in 2037, get ready y'all :excited:

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35921 on: August 04, 2023, 03:28:21 PM »
Everything I've read about Crow points to his being a dumbass.  Now, if his dumbassery was a long-term play to kill college athletics at ASU, then he's absolutely killing it.

Vis-a-vis athletics Crow is a cancer rather than a dumbass.  Worse, he's a reflection of the faction that's been running ASU for the last couple of decades.  That said ASU could certainly wind up in the Big XII and it's not at all difficult to envision them as *the* problem during any eastward expansion that might occur down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about him being a problem.  I heard the fans are pissed and much more importantly the major donors are pissed, per Jason Shear.  I was guess his days are numbered.

While Scheer's reporting on the fans and donors' views on Crow is exactly correct Big XII fans may not appreciate the fact that those views haven't changed in the last 15 years or so.  Crow is a reflection of the university's views, not the other way around.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35922 on: August 04, 2023, 03:38:55 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about him being a problem.  I heard the fans are pissed and much more importantly the major donors are pissed, per Jason Scheer.  I was guessing his days are numbered.

While Scheer's reporting on the fans and donors' views on Crow is exactly correct Big XII fans may not appreciate the fact that those views haven't changed in the last 15 years or so.  Crow is a reflection of the university's views, not the other way around.

All I know is the fans/donors are pissed and want in the Big XII ASAP.  Also, donors upset with UA getting in without them, due to Crow's BS.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35923 on: August 04, 2023, 03:42:02 PM »
Update:  Arizona is in the Big XII reported according to Mark Rogers w/ The Voice of College Football.