Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4053170 times)

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33825 on: July 18, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »
If by merge you mean the best 6 remaining non Stanford P12 schools get absorbed and branded as a new Big 12 I completely agree

This is correct. Wazzu, Oregon St., Cal, would all dilute the payouts even more. No reason to life raft the riff raff.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:04:28 PM by WildcatNation »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33826 on: July 18, 2022, 02:08:09 PM »
If by merge you mean the best 6 remaining non Stanford P12 schools get absorbed and branded as a new Big 12 I completely agree

This is correct. Wazzu, Oregon St., Cal, would all dilute the payouts even more. No reason to life raft the riff raff.

That’s what schools like that think about KSU, etc. when contemplating the pac 12 taking big 12 schools.

Both conferences should put ego aside and merge into something awesome and appreciate having jobber teams in the league that will allow for their top teams each year to go undefeated rather than having parity.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33827 on: July 18, 2022, 02:16:52 PM »

That’s what schools like that think about KSU, etc. when contemplating the pac 12 taking big 12 schools.

Both conferences should put ego aside and merge into something awesome and appreciate having jobber teams in the league that will allow for their top teams each year to go undefeated rather than having parity.

That is very true about KSU and it probably isn't going to change. So if teams get relegated and it isn't us, seems like that would do nothing but help us.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #33829 on: July 18, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »

That is very true about KSU and it probably isn't going to change. So if teams get relegated and it isn't us, seems like that would do nothing but help us.
I'm tired of singing kumbaya by the campfire. It's time to sweep the leg.

If Wazzu and Lil OSU have to be killed to keep our spot at the table then so be it.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #33830 on: July 18, 2022, 03:14:15 PM »

I'm tired of singing kumbaya by the campfire. It's time to sweep the leg.

If Wazzu and Lil OSU have to be killed to keep our spot at the table then so be it.
Not to mention zero chance they give a eff about us if the roles were reversed.

I hate what has happened to college athletics as much as anyone, but nobody is floating us a lifeline if we end up in a bad spot. I want whatever is best for us at this point, so if that means some other schools unfortunately get shorted, welp...
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33831 on: July 18, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »

They should have killed us when they had the chance, they are going to have to die for us to live.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33832 on: July 18, 2022, 03:14:51 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-targeting-75-million-annual-media-rights-payout-in-quest-to-remain-independent/

Dodd talking about ND money goals and possible NBC and Big 12 discussions.

Big 12 pairing w ND on NBC would be an absolute dream scenario

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33833 on: July 18, 2022, 03:19:05 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-targeting-75-million-annual-media-rights-payout-in-quest-to-remain-independent/

Makes sense. If ND wants to kick off at 3:30, we can kick at 12:00 & catch people flipping over at half of 11:00am kicks. Pac would have to kick at 10:00am pacific.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33834 on: July 18, 2022, 03:23:21 PM »

They should have killed us when they had the chance, they are going to have to die for us to live.

Is the premise here that the current big 12 with the best pac 12 schools makes that new big 12 a top-level (not “relegated” conference along with the big ten and sec, and/or that KSU would thrive in that conference?

I’d rather be in something giant and interesting and in which KSU could be a winner. If that’s considered relegated, that’s fine as long as it’s on tv. I’d watch my relegated league and continue to ignore the other leagues that aren’t relevant to us.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33835 on: July 18, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »

Makes sense. If ND wants to kick off at 3:30, we can kick at 12:00 & catch people flipping over at half of 11:00am kicks. Pac would have to kick at 10:00am pacific.

Guessing games would also be broadcast on USA/Peacock

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33836 on: July 18, 2022, 03:33:44 PM »

Is the premise here that the current big 12 with the best pac 12 schools makes that new big 12 a top-level (not “relegated” conference along with the big ten and sec, and/or that KSU would thrive in that conference?

I’d rather be in something giant and interesting and in which KSU could be a winner. If that’s considered relegated, that’s fine as long as it’s on tv. I’d watch my relegated league and continue to ignore the other leagues that aren’t relevant to us.

More than likely yes we would be the best of the worst conferences if we absorbed the PAC 12.  The BIG and SEC have left everyone else in the dust financially.  The league will probably have access to the playoff if they don’t feel like fighting a 503C fight.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33837 on: July 18, 2022, 03:50:33 PM »

I would guess it’s just 1 game per week, tier 1 deal only. I doubt they want to invest in a 2nd whole production truck/setup for USA/Peacock. It might be 2 games when ND is on the road. Those 6-7 weekends per year where they can put a 2nd game on Peacock might be enough to drive subscribers for them. But another truck for a weekly Peacock game might make sense to them too.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33838 on: July 18, 2022, 05:33:23 PM »

They can think that all they want but the bottom line is there are have and have nots when it comes to media rights and the also rans in the Big 12 have more value than those in the Pac 12. Feelings be damned, that's a fact now and will be with the next deal for both.

I don't want the Pac 12 to break up, I ultimately want them to do what the Big 12 did and add the biggest markets out west and stay together. However, I think it's pollyannaish to believe all 10 of those schools are going to be satisfied making $15 million a year less than any of the Big 12 schools. We're going to end up with some of those schools and ultimately we'll be worse off for it because we'll have less rivalries and a diluted product.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33839 on: July 18, 2022, 05:36:49 PM »

I would guess it’s just 1 game per week, tier 1 deal only. I doubt they want to invest in a 2nd whole production truck/setup for USA/Peacock. It might be 2 games when ND is on the road. Those 6-7 weekends per year where they can put a 2nd game on Peacock might be enough to drive subscribers for them. But another truck for a weekly Peacock game might make sense to them too.

They want in the game with access similar to what ESPN and Fox have.  The expanded Big XII would be the ticket and Womack isn't going to give network rights away.  If NBC gets the bid, they will have two games on with or without airing ND.  They could easly have Big XII games on before the ND game and after the game.  Also, there are NBC Sports Network, USA, and Peacock.  We'll get 75 to 80 million before this is all done.  With that amount of money, we will have no trouble to get UW and UO to buy in, along with the four corner schools.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33840 on: July 18, 2022, 05:39:53 PM »
They will out bit ESPN for the Big XII network, said by Dennis Dodd last week on the CBS pod broadcast.  Also those network projections did not include the six PAC schools.

If Dennis Dodd said that, it's one of the dumbest things said about this round of expansion. There's not going to be a Big 12 Network, that will be bid on, that's not how it works. Whoever wins the rights will determine if they will create a digital Big 12 Network, there will be no linear Big 12 Network.

Also CBS Sports does not have unilateral approval to make whatever bid they want. I just happen to be listening to another podcast today, about 30 minutes after my last post, it wasn't about Big 12 media rights. They were discussing CBS/Paramount's finances. James Andrew Miller, who actually has business media contracts, said CBS has to get any bid for the Big 10 approved by the board and of Tony Romo's contact was up now, as opposed to last year, his new contract wouldn't have been approved.

I think he is referring to the bundled Teir 3 rights everyone but UT and OU did for broadcast on ESPN+. I haven't seen whether we plan to still keep one game for each school out of the TV package sine we don't have to accomodate the LHN anymore.

That makes more sense. I would be shocked if tier 3 rights remain a thing with the next deal. The attractiveness of these deals is the tonnage of live sports which are cheap and well rated. It would be pretty terrible business to buy the media rights but then let the schools/conferences put their product on a competitors OTT service.

If NBC or Apple get the rights we're going to have to pay two different fees to get the games. NBC will have games on their linear networks, Peacock, and Peacock+. Apple will split games between AppleTV+ and an additional subscriber service, like a digital only Big 12 Network that we'll have to pay extra for, like what they're doing with MLS.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33841 on: July 18, 2022, 05:51:15 PM »
They will out bit ESPN for the Big XII network, said by Dennis Dodd last week on the CBS pod broadcast.  Also those network projections did not include the six PAC schools.

If Dennis Dodd said that, it's one of the dumbest things said about this round of expansion. There's not going to be a Big 12 Network, that will be bid on, that's not how it works. Whoever wins the rights will determine if they will create a digital Big 12 Network, there will be no linear Big 12 Network.

Also CBS Sports does not have unilateral approval to make whatever bid they want. I just happen to be listening to another podcast today, about 30 minutes after my last post, it wasn't about Big 12 media rights. They were discussing CBS/Paramount's finances. James Andrew Miller, who actually has business media contracts, said CBS has to get any bid for the Big 10 approved by the board and of Tony Romo's contact was up now, as opposed to last year, his new contract wouldn't have been approved.

I think he is referring to the bundled Teir 3 rights everyone but UT and OU did for broadcast on ESPN+. I haven't seen whether we plan to still keep one game for each school out of the TV package sine we don't have to accomodate the LHN anymore.

That makes more sense. I would be shocked if tier 3 rights remain a thing with the next deal. The attractiveness of these deals is the tonnage of live sports which are cheap and well rated. It would be pretty terrible business to buy the media rights but then let the schools/conferences put their product on a competitors OTT service.

If NBC or Apple get the rights we're going to have to pay two different fees to get the games. NBC will have games on their linear networks, Peacock, and Peacock+. Apple will split games between AppleTV+ and an additional subscriber service, like a digital only Big 12 Network that we'll have to pay extra for, like what they're doing with MLS.

Remember CBS wants in on Big XII rights.  We may have a couple of games on NBC and one on CBS when this network bidding is completed.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33842 on: July 18, 2022, 06:05:28 PM »
If we want to be a young and hip brand we're going to have to say "OK boomer" to network television and start courting YouTube.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33843 on: July 18, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
For the Big XII to be successful, they need the 6 Pac 12 schools to join.  It is the only way the conference could negotiate for payout in the $75-$80 million range.  Womack just needs to sell that to these PAC schools.  It has been estimated that for the PAC to stay together it would need to generate 240% of what its estimated network contract is valued at.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33844 on: July 18, 2022, 06:14:28 PM »

Remember CBS wants in on Big XII rights.  We may have a couple of games on NBC and one on CBS when this network bidding is completed.
lol

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33845 on: July 18, 2022, 06:28:52 PM »
If we want to be a young and hip brand we're going to have to say "OK boomer" to network television and start courting YouTube.

Do you think we will get the number of eyes that NBC/CBS would?  Streaming may be ok for the tier 3 rights.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33846 on: July 18, 2022, 06:32:12 PM »

lol

WTF makes you think CBS is not interested.  There have been several media sources that have said CBS is ready to bid on the Bib XII network rights.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33847 on: July 18, 2022, 06:37:40 PM »
In 2024 CBS has nobody for their national network on Saturday right now.

Don't see how any national network can go without having Saturday football content in a climate where live sports dominate ratings.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33848 on: July 18, 2022, 06:42:39 PM »
Having a game on cbs each week would be pretty gd elite if you ask me. Wouldn’t make us younger or hipper, but I’d have some feels about it each time I hear the intro song.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33849 on: July 18, 2022, 06:56:20 PM »

Do you think we will get the number of eyes that NBC/CBS would?  Streaming may be ok for the tier 3 rights.

Go ahead and tell me the last time anyone aged 13-30 watched a second of network television. I'll wait.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite