Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066679 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32875 on: October 21, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »
I think it's good for Texas fans - they'll have their two closest rivals plus a historic rival in Arkansas and a big time neighboring state program in LSU. OU fans are just t-shirt fan idiots so they'll gobble the crap up. I think OU will be pretty competitive too.

I think part of how successful OU will be will depend on how the divisions/pods line up. If they get podded with Arkansas, UT, and A&M, they'll be okay. However, if you're of the belief that the SEC is significantly better than the Big 12, which it is, you have to think they will lose some dominance. While the SEC does have Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina, and Mississippi State, OU won't get to play all those teams every single year like they get to in the Big 12. They won't have the same level of success and their fans aren't going to like it. They won't be quite like Nebraska, but their seasons of 9-3 or 8-4 will not go over well at all. And at some point they'll chase Lincoln Riley to the NFL then they're rolling the dice with finding another good coach again.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32876 on: October 22, 2021, 06:27:01 AM »
Every team in history has had its ups and downs. I'd bet on OU being a lot worse in the SEC than in the Big 12 based on that alone. And I will be there to laugh at them when it happens.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32877 on: October 22, 2021, 07:33:47 AM »
Greg Sankey is not fully on board with CFPO expansion.    That’s the only hope that Texas and OU have to consistently make the PO’s. 

Texas gets a more exciting set of games for the fans.  That’s exciting for those weekends. 

But 10 years in, they’ll be counting that uptick in money and looking at a dusty trophy case.   Outside of some bowl participation trophies.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32878 on: October 22, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
There are two "why did they do it" questions in there. One is about the particular reasons Texas and OU decided to move. Another is about whether or not they made a good decision.

If you're a detached administrator only caring about the bottom line, then hell yes, it was the right decision. If you're a fan, I it absolutely was the 100% wrong decision. However, college sports fans will absolutely willingly eat crap and love it if their AD and the media tell them to.

If you're OU, you've been the big dog in your conference for literally 70 years. Nebraska's best success came when OU had three straight bad coaches, as soon as OU found a good coach again Nebraska and Texas became absolutely second rate citizens. OU got to absolutely destroy your conference comprised of your closest neighbors. Now they're coming into a new conference, predominantly not your neighbors and they aren't going to respect them and they are going to want to wreck their crap. OU goes from running a conference of 70 years to becoming Tennessee and Texas A&M.

Texas already has the biggest budget in college athletics, what the hell do they need more money for. OU ran the football, UT ran the conference, had their own network and everything. Business wise, they are just an also ran in their new conference, no one will placate them or genuflect to them. For football they went from being a clear #2, no matter how overrated they are, to fighting for scraps with Arkansas, A&M, and Ole Miss.

This. All of this.

Yep, it would be  :lol: if they get pissed at the SEC in a few years and break up the league.   :ROFL:

I am fully convinced at this point that UT will get pissed at the SEC in under 5 years and both OU and UT will regret their decision... just like every other school who left the Big XII, but they won't break up the conference and they won't leave.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32879 on: October 22, 2021, 09:06:17 AM »
Texas A&M and Mizzou have basically the same results in the SEC as they were in the Big 12, I imagine UT and OU will be similar to what they were in the Big 12. MiR is right that the scheduling format will have a big impact though.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32880 on: October 22, 2021, 09:19:00 AM »
Texas A&M and Mizzou have basically the same results in the SEC as they were in the Big 12, I imagine UT and OU will be similar to what they were in the Big 12. MiR is right that the scheduling format will have a big impact though.

OU isn't going to immediately suck, but they also won't be in the playoffs most years like they are in the Big 12.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32881 on: October 22, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »

OU isn't going to immediately suck, but they also won't be in the playoffs most years like they are in the Big 12.

depends on scheduling format!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32882 on: October 22, 2021, 09:32:45 AM »
I imagine UT and OU will be similar to what they were in the Big 12.

OU is on their way to winning their 7th straight Big 12 championship.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32883 on: October 22, 2021, 09:34:11 AM »

OK that's a good point but I can see them being a 1 or 2 loss team annually

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32884 on: October 22, 2021, 09:39:38 AM »

OK that's a good point but I can see them being a 1 or 2 loss team annually

Another possibility is that they fall apart like FSU has. I'm confused by why everyone seems to assume they'll continue at the same level. Like I said, I'd be more comfortable betting against them maintaining what they've been doing.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32885 on: October 22, 2021, 09:41:16 AM »
Yeah, if their fans would be happy with 9-3 or 10-2, I think the program would be able to hit the ground running and be just fine. They are going to end up firing Riley after his second 9-3 season, though, and then the wheels could easily fall off with their next coach.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32886 on: October 22, 2021, 09:46:16 AM »
Another possibility is that they fall apart like FSU has. I'm confused by why everyone seems to assume they'll continue at the same level

I just explained a reason -Mizzou and aTm didn't take steps back, why would OU (other than the very fair conference title point). Also because they recruit really really well.

FSU fell apart because Jimbo quit and they made a terrible follow-up hire, I doubt Riley leaves soon.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32887 on: October 22, 2021, 09:48:28 AM »
Instead of OU losing to an Iowa State or K-State once a year, they'll lose to a Mississippi state or a Kentucky 2 times a year, including getting pounded by Alabama and Georgia. 8-4 is their new future. Trust!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32888 on: October 22, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
Another possibility is that they fall apart like FSU has. I'm confused by why everyone seems to assume they'll continue at the same level

I just explained a reason -Mizzou and aTm didn't take steps back, why would OU (other than the very fair conference title point). Also because they recruit really really well.

FSU fell apart because Jimbo quit and they made a terrible follow-up hire, I doubt Riley leaves soon.

You gave a reason why they won't be worse in virtue of moving to a tougher conference. I'm asking more generally about why we'd assume they won't be worse for other reasons. It's very difficult for teams to maintain such a high level for such an extended period.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32889 on: October 22, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
Instead of OU losing to an Iowa State or K-State once a year, they'll lose to a Mississippi state or a Kentucky 2 times a year, including getting pounded by Alabama and Georgia. 8-4 is their new future. Trust!

aTm has averaged 8-4 since joining the SEC, I think OU will do better!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32890 on: October 22, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »

You gave a reason why they won't be worse in virtue of moving to a tougher conference. I'm asking more generally about why we'd assume they won't be worse for other reasons. It's very difficult for teams to maintain such a high level for such an extended period.

well the #1 reason is they have the same coach who has maintained that high level of success for such an extended period.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32891 on: October 22, 2021, 10:16:47 AM »

Thankfully they're in the SEC West side of things. I have no clue how they're shaking up the conference with this realignment. The SEC east is absolute cannibalism.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32892 on: October 22, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »

They can do better. Nebraska was doing better than that under Pelini. The fans still got pissed and they canned him. This seems like a real possibility for OU.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #32893 on: October 22, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »
Paywalled, but Mellinger has an article in the Star today basically saying we are fracked in 2 years. The new Big 12 was pretty sweet for that half hour it existed IMO.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32894 on: October 22, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
lol. That squawk doesn't know crap.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32895 on: October 22, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
Saban isn’t going to be around forever.  It’s possible OU could end up being the premier program in the sec in a few years.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32896 on: October 22, 2021, 11:06:08 AM »

well the #1 reason is they have the same coach who has maintained that high level of success for such an extended period.

Again, I'd bet against him being the next Bobby Bowden. But it's certainly possible!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #32897 on: October 22, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »
lol. That squawk doesn't know crap.

To be fair, his article was mostly about what other people were saying at B12 media day.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32898 on: October 25, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
/snip/

Just an update.

SEC: Georgia and Alabama are now it, and Bama can't afford to stumble at all the rest of the way. Kentucky and Ole Miss making it in is possible, but not really plausible.

big 10: Iowa gonna Iowa. It's possible for them to still get in, but most likely they end up like 2018 Ohio State who also only lost to Purdue that year. The other 4 still have to play each other.

Pac: Still LOL

BigXII: BlowU and Okie Light still in the hunt. Baylor still has an outside shot but has to win out convincingly to make it happen.

Arizona State dropped a game to Utah, so they're pretty much out of it. So the only remaining teams still technically in the hunt but that can't leapfrog Cincinnati without other teams losing: ND, Coastal, Oregon, and Wake Forest.

So far, still looking good for future conference member Cincinnati.

Update:

SEC: Alabama took care of business with Tennessee and Georgia had the weekend off. These are the only two realistic possibilities.

big 10: Penn State dropped one they shouldn't have, and is now likely all out of the hunt. Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State all still control their own destiny. Iowa still technically in it, but will need help.

Pac: ...

Big XII: Gundy gonna Gundy. BlowU is the only realistic possibility now. Okie Light and Baylor still technically in it, but will need help to climb back into the conversation.

Coastal lost their mid-week game too, so the only other teams left are ND and Wake Forest (who hung 70 on Army btw). Oregon is still technically there, but isn't doing anything to impress the committee and could easily be jumped by ND and WF in the rankings before their CCG, if they make it that far.

So, things continue to look better and better for future conference member Cincinnati.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 03:04:59 PM by PurpleOil »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32899 on: October 25, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »

Again, I'd bet against him being the next Bobby Bowden. But it's certainly possible!

"Mizzou and aTm didn't take steps back, why would OU (other than the very fair conference title point)"

Because OU has 8 regular season losses in the last 7 years, w/ a NY6 or CFP appearance in each of those seasons. Taking a step back is 2 regular season losses at this point. It's harder to define a step back for Mizzoud and aTm because it's a gray area of mediocrity. OU has been damn near (3rd-5th-ish?) the most successful regular season P5 program in the country for the better part of a decade, but 2 of them that are better are now in their conference.