Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980631 times)

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32675 on: September 12, 2021, 07:42:17 PM »
How comfortable are we that the league will remain at 12?  The KU AD is talking crap about conference revenues, and how KU doesn't belong in a shitty revenue environment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ku-jayhawks-athletic-director-travis-002816516.html
Jesse Newell
Fri, September 10, 2021, 7:28 PM
Kansas athletic director Travis Goff said Friday was “clearly a good day for the Big 12” in announcing four new members, but he remained noncommittal when it came to KU’s potentially pursuing other leagues in the future.

Goff, who spoke to reporters at Brooks Stadium about a half-hour before KU’s road game against Coastal Carolina, was asked whether Friday’s Big 12 news potentially stops other conversations while pursuing what’s best for KU.

“No. The beauty of it is, is when you think about being focused on what’s best for Kansas, that applies to anything we do,” Goff said. “It applies to conference affiliation. It applies to what we’re trying to achieve in our programs. It applies to the financial strength. It applies to fans and alumni engagement.

“And so regardless of all those dynamics, we stay centered and I believe more focused on what’s best for KU. What’s best for KU should be what drives us forward in whatever environment it is.”

Goff went on to speak about the importance of KU improving its stock in football before circling back to talk about the athletic department’s future.

“What’s best for Kansas doesn’t change regardless of conference discussion or speculation,” Goff said. “It’s still what’s best for KU, and it still puts us in the most positive, strengthened position we can be in the league we’re in most importantly, and for all the unknowns that are out there.”

Goff also was later asked if the Big 12 adding four teams “doesn’t close the door” on KU looking at something different in the future for conference play.

“Two months ago, nobody knew what was happening. So for us, it’s all about what we know. And what we know is we’ve got to get better in a variety of fashions,” Goff said. “And we have the most potential I think — I’m biased — but I think as much or more potential as any other A5 (Automatic 5), Power Five athletics program in the country. So that’s where we’re focused.”

Goff wasn’t shy about discussing the potential negative budget ramifications that will come from the league losing Texas and Oklahoma.

We're not necessarily talking about today, but if the Big 10 gets poached, it may open up a seat for KU as an AAU school.  There have been similar rumblings at WVU, which wants in the ACC.  Yeah, maybe not a candidate today, but like KU, further movement in realignment may bring that day.

they might leave but KU (or WVU or ISU or whomever) leaving would not destroy the new league like OU/UT. They also aren't going to move the needle much in whatever new league they jump to.

I'm pretty sure that if they left the Big 12 would figure out a way for someone to still win the conference with no problem.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32676 on: September 12, 2021, 09:40:53 PM »
KU is feeling inadequate at the moment just like all the other teams that left the Big 12.  We all know the state of KU football, but the basketball program decline should not be overlooked.  Until last year, KU dominated the conference and has won the last National Championship.  That is no longer the case because Baylor has taken the reigns.  KU hates being #2 so now they want to sit at a different lunch table, even if it means being the least popular at that table.  This is why they want out of the conference.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32677 on: September 12, 2021, 10:26:14 PM »
KU is feeling inadequate at the moment just like all the other teams that left the Big 12.  We all know the state of KU football, but the basketball program decline should not be overlooked.  Until last year, KU dominated the conference and has won the last National Championship.  That is no longer the case because Baylor has taken the reigns.  KU hates being #2 so now they want to sit at a different lunch table, even if it means being the least popular at that table.  This is why they want out of the conference.

Um, no it's not. This is some weird fan fic crap.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32678 on: September 12, 2021, 10:39:20 PM »
KU is in precarious financial position, and NEEDS more $$$ than the revised revenue the new alignment provides.  They won't suddenly become financially responsible, so are desperate.  I guess that's why they sound desperate.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32680 on: September 13, 2021, 09:48:40 AM »
The rest of the article is that interesting but this nugget was regarding the timing of the TV contract negotiations.

Bowlsby said the Big 12 enters an exclusive negotiating window with ESPN and Fox in March 2024

https://theathletic.com/2823431/2021/09/13/what-we-learned-from-cincinnatis-big-12-announcement-and-whats-still-tbd/?source=emp_shared_article

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32681 on: September 13, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/SECShorts/status/1437400679027552256?s=20

Imagine running to a group of people who see you as a bitch, just for a couple more dollars.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32682 on: September 13, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »
Never underestimate the penile challenged University of Texas Board Member.

Imagine them sitting and downing cocktails worried that Texas A&M may cook their books again and report having higher revenues than Texas.

That's what we've been dealing with.   

Those two can once again slap fight each other on annual basis and still not really win anything while simultaneously telling the world that their pending dominance is just a few million more dollars away.

Texas A&M looked anemic against Colorado.     We'll be talking at the end of Jimbo Fishers contract as we gaze upon a trophy case still devoid of any trophies of significance.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32683 on: September 13, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »
Why didn't Texas just take their Longhorn Network and go independent?

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #32684 on: September 13, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »
the last 10 pages have been great guys. a treat
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32685 on: September 13, 2021, 01:00:20 PM »

Because they only get $15 million a year from ESPN for LHN.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32686 on: September 13, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »

Because they only get $15 million a year from ESPN for LHN.

They're not called the whorns for nothing. I'm looking forward to their struggles in their new conference.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32687 on: September 13, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »

Imagine running to a group of people who see you as a bitch, just for a couple more dollars.

Especially, when the money means far less to you than it would to others. The extra SECspn money is nothing their donors can’t make up with little effort. The influence they’ll lose will be a sight to behold.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32688 on: September 13, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »

Especially, when the money means far less to you than it would to others. The extra SECspn money is nothing their donors can’t make up with little effort. The influence they’ll lose will be a sight to behold.

There's not even anything to make up. They're first in the country in AD revenue right now, while in the Big 12.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32690 on: September 16, 2021, 03:24:49 PM »
Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State would be the wetwillie wet dream
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32691 on: September 16, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1438595428715536384?s=20

lmao. should have read, "Big 12 executives, all giant morons to a man, are also wa....."

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32692 on: September 16, 2021, 03:46:06 PM »

It's not just your dream. Then combined with the current additions, in 2025 we'd be rolling out with 16 teams, all roughly the same size, all with roughly the same budgets, spanning 3 different time zones.

It would be a solid conference for sure.

I just wish there was someway we could get rid of Baylor.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32693 on: September 16, 2021, 03:50:42 PM »

lmao. should have read, "Big 12 executives, all giant morons to a man, are also wa....."

Exactly, I mean what are we even talking about here? Those schools are going to leave a conference that has USC, UCLA, and Oregon as the big brands for one whose biggest brands are Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Kansas because that conference will get a higher per school payout than the conference with USC? In what world is this even close to a possibility?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32694 on: September 16, 2021, 03:58:01 PM »

It's not just your dream. Then combined with the current additions, in 2025 we'd be rolling out with 16 teams, all roughly the same size, all with roughly the same budgets, spanning 3 different time zones.

It would be a solid conference for sure.

I just wish there was someway we could get rid of Baylor.

What if the pac teams possibly interested are the big ones though? USC, etc because they know that the remaining big 12 schools are better and draw more than theirs and they recognize sports benefits of getting into Texas and in being less regional?  :Wha:

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32695 on: September 16, 2021, 04:08:32 PM »

Exactly, I mean what are we even talking about here? Those schools are going to leave a conference that has USC, UCLA, and Oregon as the big brands for one whose biggest brands are Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Kansas because that conference will get a higher per school payout than the conference with USC? In what world is this even close to a possibility?

I know the quote doesn't say this but I took it to mean that IF the Pac 12 media deal is about what we currently make then there are schools in the Pac who expect their big names to bolt to big 10 and moving to B12 then looks like a good options.

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32696 on: September 16, 2021, 04:11:35 PM »
KU is looking for more money because they are still paying their last 4 football HC's...
Dax fan club member!

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32697 on: September 16, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »

My guess is the world it's a possibility is one where the B10 takes the top tier of the PAC. Don't see it happening unless that domino falls first.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32698 on: September 16, 2021, 04:13:53 PM »

For what it's worth, Gene Taylor thinks we'll get about the same valuation from the 4 new additions to the Big 12 than we would if we have the 8 + OU & Texas.   :dunno:

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32699 on: September 16, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »

My guess is the world it's a possibility is one where the B10 takes the top tier of the PAC. Don't see it happening unless that domino falls first.

This was my thought as well.  In a world where the current Pac gets similar money to the Big12, their bigs have to give a lot of thought about calling their big 10 buddies with all the money.