Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980243 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31975 on: August 13, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »
It's basically like they are ignoring our meat judging program championships.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31976 on: August 13, 2021, 12:00:48 PM »
We are what, the Big IV now?

Quick, grab WVU's hand and hope the ACC takes us.

Offline jonsjasper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31977 on: August 13, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
Welp, looks like it's a DONE DEAL. Smell ya later, taters.

https://twitter.com/TimShep1972/status/1426172793595604995?s=20

"got together"  - check
"four University's" - check
"other school's"  - check
big 12 logo in letterhead - check

we're mumped.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31978 on: August 13, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »

lol, how did you find this?

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31979 on: August 13, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
LOL - Some of the punctuation in that....woof.

And Baylor - Guess the big 10 "wants" someone to rehab Michigan State's image.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31980 on: August 13, 2021, 04:15:13 PM »
I sincerely hope whoever wrote that has not set foot in a University’

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31981 on: August 13, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
I sincerely hope whoever wrote that has not set foot in a University’

Are you really suggesting that Tim Shepherd would put his reputation on the line like that? Obviously, I assume that's not what you're suggesting.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31982 on: August 13, 2021, 04:36:29 PM »
Rumor has it that Tim Shephard has an intern on the inside at the Oklahoma State Univerity'

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31983 on: August 13, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
What a laughable group to contact the BIG.   :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31985 on: August 13, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »
They could each invite Big XII schools in their conferences, if my math is correct, if ACC took two followed by BIG taking two and PAC takes four.  That would make four conferences of 16 teams.  Two run by Fox and two by ESPN.  This could get interesting.  :dance:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bananaeater

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31986 on: August 13, 2021, 08:24:46 PM »

What does it mean to be an "Unaffiliated Big 12 Sports Reporter" with 339 followers?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31987 on: August 13, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »
guys, shut up

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31988 on: August 14, 2021, 02:59:00 AM »
guys, shut up

Honestly, there's not much here on the power alliance thing. It seems like this was a calculated release to tell the sec to stay in their place, but there's not much else here.

The Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC are engaging in high-level discussions about an alliance, sources tell The Athletic.

Talks have centered around not just a scheduling alliance in football but in broader cooperation, according to sources in the three conferences. Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff, Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren and ACC commissioner Jim Phillips have been having conversations for several weeks.

“I’ve been in frequent and regular contact with all of the other A5 commissioners the last few weeks about the complex issues that are facing the industry,” Kliavkoff said, adding that there’s “nothing to report on this specific matter at this time.”

How will an alliance work?
Max Olson, staff writer: While the specifics on how a scheduling pact might work remain unclear, sources in the three conferences suggest the larger goal is alignment so that the Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC can work and vote together on major issues such as College Football Playoff expansion and upcoming NCAA governance changes.

“This is their shot right back at the SEC,” one athletic director said.

All three leagues and their relatively new commissioners are feeling some pressure to respond to the SEC’s aggression after the conference added Texas and Oklahoma as new members starting in 2025. None of the three have expressed serious interest in raiding what’s left of the Big 12, so working together is a logical next step and appears to be the likely outcome.

There are differing beliefs among sources in the three conferences as to how imminently this alliance could be finalized and formally announced. Kliavkoff and Warren were together this week in California for Rose Bowl-related meetings.

What about the Big 12?
Olson: While these plans are still in the works, it does appear the Big 12 will not be included in the alliance. Last week, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby met with Kliavkoff to discuss potential options for a strategic alliance. The Big 12 is currently exploring options to preserve its future after Texas and Oklahoma exit.

If this alliance comes together, it would clearly be a setback for the Big 12. Sources in the conference said Bowlsby was optimistic about the potential of working with the Pac-12, and the possibility of this three-league alliance was not discussed on a call between Bowlsby and Big 12 athletic directors Friday.

While this alliance would presumably mean Power 5 leagues will not look to poach Big 12 members and helps keep the eight members together, this is not a good development for Bowlsby. The Big 12 could focus its efforts on expansion going forward, but trying to align with a Power 5 league was considered a preferable possibility.

Why would the three conferences do this?
Matt Fortuna, staff writer: On Tuesday the NCAA announced the formation of a constitution committee, with the hopes of expediting a proposed governance model. It is there, in voting power, where an alliance among the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 would really show those three conferences’ power — 41 votes to the 16 votes of the expanded SEC.

Phillips, who was announced as one of 23 members of the constitution committee, has told ADs that strength comes in numbers, not in one conference stacking the deck. This is where the real difference could come for these three conferences.

The question of timing
Nicole Auerbach, senior writer: Even if such a move is not exactly imminent, there is still pressure to do something in the wake of the SEC's power play.

A formal alliance between these three conferences could be announced with specific scheduling details to be ironed out later. But it would still be valuable to get this out there at some point soon because the three leagues could then work together to vote as a bloc on CFP expansion (timeline and format), upcoming NCAA governance decisions and other pressing issues.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #31989 on: August 14, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »
If that happens, wouldn’t it make sense for the SEC and B12 figure out some sort of alliance?  They’d get some decent football brands to beat up on and B12 would have a chance to survive. 

Let KU go play basketball in the cold weather states and pick up the AAC schools around SEC country.  If they want, we could rebrand to SEClite or SEC2.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31990 on: August 14, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »
Yeah if the theory is strength in numbers I don’t see why either “side” would completely leave out a P5.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31991 on: August 14, 2021, 01:03:22 PM »
If that happens, wouldn’t it make sense for the SEC and B12 figure out some sort of alliance?  They’d get some decent football brands to beat up on and B12 would have a chance to survive. 

Let KU go play basketball in the cold weather states and pick up the AAC schools around SEC country.  If they want, we could rebrand to SEClite or SEC2.

Hmmm....Big 12 as vulture bait

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #31992 on: August 14, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »
Yeah if the theory is strength in numbers I don’t see why either “side” would completely leave out a P5.
They won't be.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31993 on: August 14, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
 I've never understood why all major conferences don't band together to negotiate TV rights. But at this point, we'd still likely be screwed if that happened.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31994 on: August 14, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »
What was the tv "payout" prior to the 2010(ish) contract?  I saw 22m in 2012, but not much prior information.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31995 on: August 14, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »
What was the tv "payout" prior to the 2010(ish) contract?  I saw 22m in 2012, but not much prior information.

It was pretty teeny (comparatively) and the more you were on TV the bigger your check from the big12 was. I think it was maybe 5-10 million around 2008 or so.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31996 on: August 14, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »
They won't be.
I thought MIR already covered it, but my impression was that the NCAA couldn’t simply revoke status as an autonomous group based on the fact your conference doesn’t include any blue bloods.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31997 on: August 14, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »
They won't be.
I thought MIR already covered it, but my impression was that the NCAA couldn’t simply revoke status as an autonomous group based on the fact your conference doesn’t include any blue bloods.

They can't and I posted two different articles about it but that won't change people from deluding themselves into thinking that little ol' K-State will always get screwed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31998 on: August 14, 2021, 05:20:59 PM »
That being said autonomy 5 status ain't what it used to be when it was passed in 2015. It was passed to allow those 5 conferences more power in enacting reforms related to player compensation, at the time the cost of living allowance was what they were looking for.

With NIL and the inevitable reforms to the NCAA I'm not sure what's left for the autonomy 5. With the proposed playoff changes the only tangible difference between the conferences will be their media deals and for the entirety of separate media deals, after the OU ruling in 1980, there's been no correlation between media deal and on field success.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31999 on: August 14, 2021, 06:17:07 PM »
They won't be.

They can't and I posted two different articles about it but that won't change people from deluding themselves into thinking that little ol' K-State will always get screwed.
LOL at the idea that the NCAA is going to have to allow a busted conference auto bid status.  Keep rough ridin that chicken.