Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066969 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31575 on: July 29, 2021, 10:01:41 AM »
Looks like the lazy river around the bill is back on the table boys!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31576 on: July 29, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
The roadmap to ESPN’s COLUSION and interference couldn’t be more clear in terms of what they’re trying to accomplish.  A good lawyer could lay it all out in 3 minutes.

It’s brazen in every way.   

Despite my LOL’ableness at Cult Aggie they may have cost ESPN billions of dollars. 

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31577 on: July 29, 2021, 10:05:08 AM »
So who blinks first here? Do TX and OU just pay the buyout and GTFO? Does someone (maybe KU  :dunno: ) get lucky as crap and get an offer they can't refuse, thus blowing the whole thing up? Does the SEC say, crap, never mind, we are good? Do we end up in the WAC getting $3m a year? I don't have the patience to keep following this, so I need something to happen fairly quick.

TIA

This is the concern of the for the remaining eight.  If two more teams get offers they can't refuse (and I am sure ESPN is trying to swing that with their conferences) those additional remaining teams, the Big 12 is done and has no legal standing in regard to exit fees from OU and UT or contractual agreements with each other.  When the conference dips below seven teams, its own bylaws says it is done.  The only card the Big 12 as a conference would have left is potential legal action against ESPN, which might be a fun case that lasts years, but would be much tougher to pursue if you start running out of schools willing to back that sucker.  Unless, of course, they can find some TV lawyer who will handle the case like one of those TV asbestos cases where you pay nothing unless you get paid. 

Then again, I am no lawyer, so maybe a KSU and a Baylor would spend the dough in hopes of the big payday that could come.  Are there enough donors willing to pay the jack to mount the legal cases (for the A.D.'s offices may be hurting so bad they can't afford the the amount of money needed for the lawyers needed with their diminished revenues post dissolution).

I'm not sure the legal fees on this really scares the remaining 8 schools and big 12, with what they stand to lose as the alternative. I'm not a lawyer either but I would think any of the schools that suffered harm by OU/UT/SEC breach of contract -- any one of them, or all, would have the standing to sue for damages.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31578 on: July 29, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
Why didn't SEC/ESPN wait until closer to 2025? Were they afraid PAC or Big 10 would take Texas and/or OU?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31579 on: July 29, 2021, 10:10:07 AM »
Unless Dennis Dodd is directly quoting an official source I trust nothing he says about the business of college athletics

I agree with you, but his latest stuff reads like Bowlsby himself (or staff) is feeding it to him.  Bowlsby made the rounds yesterday handing out media quotes and making sure to get the word out.

In fact, the Big 12's bylaws are written in such a way that -- if there is even one member remaining -- a program can individually sue any of the entities in this discussion -- the SEC, the AAC or even ESPN.

Leaning on the "disinterested directors" clause in its bylaws, the Big 12 intends to make the migration of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as difficult as possible.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-believes-american-is-attempting-to-grab-eight-remaining-members-with-texas-oklahoma-leaving-for-sec/

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31580 on: July 29, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
Why didn't SEC/ESPN wait until closer to 2025? Were they afraid PAC or Big 10 would take Texas and/or OU?

I deduced that it was the playoff changes and the SEC’s hope of modifying the playoff criteria to increase the at-large bids that did a lot of the convincing that the time is now…and the NIL stuff, the idea that being in the best conference will provide more exposure and $ for recruits.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31581 on: July 29, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
With one less conference champion, it would open up another at-large spot in the playoff that can go to an SEC good ol' boy

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31582 on: July 29, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
With one less conference champion, it would open up another at-large spot in the playoff that can go to an SEC good ol' boy

Rumor was the SEC was going to push to change the at large criteria to be wide open as well…try and get 4 or more SEC teams in.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31583 on: July 29, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »

Rumor was the SEC was going to push to change the at large criteria to be wide open as well…try and get 4 or more SEC teams in.

Yep, this was their biggest driver. They wanted to get as many teams in as possible and would have cried to every year when 8-4 LSU missed out over the G5 or even B12 champ.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31584 on: July 29, 2021, 11:29:47 AM »
Unless Dennis Dodd is directly quoting an official source I trust nothing he says about the business of college athletics

this

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31585 on: July 29, 2021, 11:33:02 AM »

But the proposed at large criteria was already wide open, there were literally no restrictions on 8 of the 12 spots. As currently proposed any conference could have 9 of the 12 playoff spots.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31587 on: July 29, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/osajk4/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=8c5a2dc8fcfb4c16a54298efdcf61ad4&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=osajk4

All you hotshot lawyers...odds that OU/UT held to these bylaws?   Damage to reputation certainly a couple hundred million.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I posted this link a few days ago that outlines the bylaws as it pertains to membership numbers and voting rights. This is what Dodd is referring to. It is separate from GOR.

Also, ESPN benefitted by doing it now to remove our remaining years of $$ from their balance sheet

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31588 on: July 29, 2021, 12:38:51 PM »
I'm interested to see if Texas has a cancerous effect on the SEC's big dogs.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31589 on: July 29, 2021, 12:47:24 PM »
I'm interested to see if Texas has a cancerous effect on the SEC's big dogs.

You can't but be yourself so yes, they will
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31590 on: July 29, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »
With the new transfer rules, there is nothing to stop the SEC schools from recruiting heavily from the campuses of the lower conferences.  If you are a diamond in the rough kid who always wanted to play at the highest level, it's easier to make that happen now.  Sucks for the smaller schools, who are still bound by the 25 annual recruits rule and need to figure out a way to keep depth.

For sure but the flip side is also true. It’s also very easy for an unhappy four star at Georgia to transfer somewhere that he’ll get playing time. As a whole it’s going to help the big names the most though.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31591 on: July 29, 2021, 01:06:48 PM »
With the new transfer rules, there is nothing to stop the SEC schools from recruiting heavily from the campuses of the lower conferences.  If you are a diamond in the rough kid who always wanted to play at the highest level, it's easier to make that happen now.  Sucks for the smaller schools, who are still bound by the 25 annual recruits rule and need to figure out a way to keep depth.

For sure but the flip side is also true. It’s also very easy for an unhappy four star at Georgia to transfer somewhere that he’ll get playing time. As a whole it’s going to help the big names the most though.

True, there is also little cash money in sitting the bench. Non starters are going to be looking for a spot wherever they can start and market themselves. Small time Dick Edwards Ford cash money is better than no cash money maybe  :dunno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31592 on: July 29, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »

I agree with you, but his latest stuff reads like Bowlsby himself (or staff) is feeding it to him.  Bowlsby made the rounds yesterday handing out media quotes and making sure to get the word out.

In fact, the Big 12's bylaws are written in such a way that -- if there is even one member remaining -- a program can individually sue any of the entities in this discussion -- the SEC, the AAC or even ESPN.

Leaning on the "disinterested directors" clause in its bylaws, the Big 12 intends to make the migration of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as difficult as possible.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-believes-american-is-attempting-to-grab-eight-remaining-members-with-texas-oklahoma-leaving-for-sec/

yep, and i'd like to think he knew that one side effect of portraying the remaining schools as a victim would be to rally us together instead of allowing the sec/espn's actions to pull us apart

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31593 on: July 29, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »
I hope to high heaven it was our Cats and Gene spilled the beans to Bob after ESPN came to us w/ the AAC deal.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31594 on: July 29, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
ESPN: "Hey, AAC! How about we throw some money your way if you convince the Big 12 schools to jump ship?  Here's the kicker: you can't mention us by name to any of them.  Good luck!"

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31595 on: July 29, 2021, 01:23:34 PM »

yep, and i'd like to think he knew that one side effect of portraying the remaining schools as a victim would be to rally us together instead of allowing the sec/espn's actions to pull us apart

Portraying the remaining schools as a victim? Do you think the Big 12 bears some complicity here?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31596 on: July 29, 2021, 01:28:07 PM »
I had a chance to read Dodd's article in a non speed read fashion and it sounds pretty legit, for once he may have actually nailed the business side.

Some the easiest dots on the planet to connect at this point relative to what they are trying to do.

ESPN/OU/Texas need total Big 12 implosion to wholly avoid either a non desired protracted exit, or an expensive rapid exit.   As of now, they're negotiating from the highest number in order to get out early if the Orphaned 8 hold fast.   

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31597 on: July 29, 2021, 01:37:21 PM »
I hope to high heaven it was our Cats and Gene spilled the beans to Bob after ESPN came to us w/ the AAC deal.

Twitterverse keeps bring up Tech as the one who spilled the beans but haven't seen that from anybody that is even semi-reliable.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31598 on: July 29, 2021, 01:42:40 PM »
I had a chance to read Dodd's article in a non speed read fashion and it sounds pretty legit, for once he may have actually nailed the business side.

Some the easiest dots on the planet to connect at this point relative to what they are trying to do.

ESPN/OU/Texas need total Big 12 implosion to wholly avoid either a non desired protracted exit, or an expensive rapid exit.   As of now, they're negotiating from the highest number in order to get out early if the Orphaned 8 hold fast.   
https://twitter.com/DickSaban1/status/1420773806097014786?s=19

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31599 on: July 29, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
I’d be a shitty president because i’d pounding that nuclear button like I’m pounding the like button on cat tweets after a touchdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk