Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980390 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30700 on: July 21, 2021, 11:06:04 PM »
Bowlsby, Gene, do we even have a president right now? We are incredibly mumped.
Carl Ice is chair of the committee searching for pres. He has to have someone right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30701 on: July 21, 2021, 11:10:52 PM »

Who say’s no?
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30702 on: July 21, 2021, 11:19:48 PM »
i'm at a much different place in my life this time around. Whatever happens, happens.
:thumbsup:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30703 on: July 21, 2021, 11:19:51 PM »

Who say’s no?

That TV contract spread across 16 teams? We’d be so broke.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30704 on: July 21, 2021, 11:21:16 PM »

Who say’s no?

That TV contract spread across 16 teams? We’re going to be so broke.
Oof, yeah just saw the numbers. We are boned guys, no one else i’d rather be boned with then all of my fellow bloggers at goEMAW.com tho.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30705 on: July 21, 2021, 11:21:30 PM »
i'm at a much different place in my life this time around. Whatever happens, happens.
:thumbsup:
Either way I’m eating brats in the parking lot at halftime, so I’m happy.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30706 on: July 21, 2021, 11:25:20 PM »
with streaming I'm pretty sure I'll be able to see my Cats easily no matter what. wasn't the case 10 years ago

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30707 on: July 21, 2021, 11:25:49 PM »

Who say’s no?

Get all the way the eff outta here with Tulane and Colorado State

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30708 on: July 21, 2021, 11:26:13 PM »

Who say’s no?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30709 on: July 21, 2021, 11:31:03 PM »
I for one welcome Ft. Collins into the fold. However, seems my teams will be in the SEC and big 10, which will be weird.

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30710 on: July 21, 2021, 11:43:32 PM »
I for one welcome Ft. Collins into the fold. However, seems my teams will be in the SEC and big 10, which will be weird.

You're stuck with us. We're a package deal. KU, at least.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30711 on: July 22, 2021, 12:02:30 AM »
The biggest problem with this for Texas and Oklahoma still exists as it has the entire time and that's money.

1. There has not been a school that has switched conferences who have received a full share right from the start, not even Nebraska and Maryland who were actually sought after by the Big 10.
2. Let's say the SEC not only votes to take them, no idea why they would, but whatever, and they give these dudes a full share. The conference and ESPN and FOX would have to, in the midst of the pandemic, tear up a contract that doesn't even start until 2024 and give the conference a minimum of $45 million that only goes to OU and Texas. Bear in mind that this is the same year that one or both of these networks will also, presumably, be paying much more money for a 12 team playoff.
3. Okay so let's assume ESPN and FOX found enough money to make everyone, all 16 SEC teams whole and happy. OU and UT don't get their media rights until July 1, 2025. That means if they left before that day, all of their media money stays with the Big 12, for UT that's 20% of their budget, about 30% for OU.

Here's one more dollar figure for you. UT currently has the highest athletic budget in the country and not by a little either, their budget is $11 million more than the second highest school. OU is 8th, why would they risk that to go play in a tougher conference? Why would the SEC try to feed two more mouths, two gigantic super huge big mouths at that?

I don't really give a crap if they leave, but none of this makes sense.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #30712 on: July 22, 2021, 12:04:15 AM »
Does this blog die with the Big XII? Was Beems right all along? Stay tuned for answers to these questions and more...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30713 on: July 22, 2021, 12:05:39 AM »

Who say’s no?

If any conference went into the mountain time zone and grabbed Colorado State instead of Boise State, they deserve all of the bad things coming to them.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30714 on: July 22, 2021, 12:06:16 AM »
The biggest problem with this for Texas and Oklahoma still exists as it has the entire time and that's money.

1. There has not been a school that has switched conferences who have received a full share right from the start, not even Nebraska and Maryland who were actually sought after by the Big 10.
2. Let's say the SEC not only votes to take them, no idea why they would, but whatever, and they give these dudes a full share. The conference and ESPN and FOX would have to, in the midst of the pandemic, tear up a contract that doesn't even start until 2024 and give the conference a minimum of $45 million that only goes to OU and Texas. Bear in mind that this is the same year that one or both of these networks will also, presumably, be paying much more money for a 12 team playoff.
3. Okay so let's assume ESPN and FOX found enough money to make everyone, all 16 SEC teams whole and happy. OU and UT don't get their media rights until July 1, 2025. That means if they left before that day, all of their media money stays with the Big 12, for UT that's 20% of their budget, about 30% for OU.

Here's one more dollar figure for you. UT currently has the highest athletic budget in the country and not by a little either, their budget is $11 million more than the second highest school. OU is 8th, why would they risk that to go play in a tougher conference? Why would the SEC try to feed two more mouths, two gigantic super huge big mouths at that?

They can afford to take the hit. For a few years

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30715 on: July 22, 2021, 12:34:57 AM »

2. Let's say the SEC not only votes to take them, no idea why they would, but whatever, and they give these dudes a full share. The conference and ESPN and FOX would have to, in the midst of the pandemic, tear up a contract that doesn't even start until 2024 and give the conference a minimum of $90 million that only goes to OU and Texas. Bear in mind that this is the same year that one or both of these networks will also, presumably, be paying much more money for a 12 team playoff.

They can afford to take the hit. For a few years

You think that any business or university is just going to give away $90 million over two years? You actually don't think that's a thing that would happen, at all.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30716 on: July 22, 2021, 01:13:54 AM »
They’ll negotiate a buyout. It will pay for itself with the tv money

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30717 on: July 22, 2021, 01:49:55 AM »
They’ll negotiate a buyout. It will pay for itself with the tv money

What would the motivation be from the other conference teams to give them a buyout? The GOR is designed to prevent exactly that.

And I don't know how anyone could claim "it would pay for itself with tv money." Literally anyone. The best anyone could hope for there is that ESPN and FOX tear up their deals that were negotiated 8 months ago and don't even go into effect for another 3 years. No one knows if that money is there, not even ESPN knows that, Disney is slashing everywhere and they would literally have to commit a minimum of $1 billion over 10 years to make it work.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30718 on: July 22, 2021, 06:05:52 AM »
If Vandy, Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas and I’d even add Auburn at this point . . . vote for this (if it’s true).  Then they might as well issue a joint statement proclaiming they have no intention of ever winning an SEC football championship and are simply there to play games and collect checks.   They might as well add that they also have no real aspirations to make the CFBPO even if they’re expanded to 12 or even 16. 

Straight up LOL’ing at at MethU and CultAggie if this happens.   They both run their mouths about escaping the Big Texas conference and CultAggie will continue to talk a huge game and yet never win anything.  Imagine being a CultAggie weirdo all super horned up to win and yet knowing deep inside you’ll never win anything and now you’re competing directly against your Daddy again? 

LOL.

I was also thinking about Nebraska yesterday.  20 years since they’ve last won a conference title in football and they still have never won an NCAA tourney basketball game, ever.  Now relegated to conference piss boy, a total afterthought, but with tens of thousands of clod kickers in Starter jackets claiming how happy they are in the BiG.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:09:39 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30719 on: July 22, 2021, 06:44:57 AM »
I'm still exhausted over it all. Just rip the bandaid off. I care, but sort of don't. I'm kind of ready for my break up with college sports.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30720 on: July 22, 2021, 06:53:38 AM »
OU and Texas have all the money in the world.  Moving to SEC is purely to stay competitive with recruiting.  They don’t want a 5-star QB from Dallas to choose Bama and make millions from local Texas businesses.  I’m confident this is all happening because of NIL.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30721 on: July 22, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »
OU just landed the top QB in the country. 

Does anyone really think that Norman Meat Rubs or Oklahoma Chicken Fryers featuring the Tom Hayes Chicken Fingers Deluxe was going to hold tight until OU was going to the SEC. 

Didn’t Rattler already sign with Cane’s?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30722 on: July 22, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
OU and UT employ business and operations intelligence people to monitor financial reports, industry moves, moves made by rivals, etc.   It appears that OU and UT have concluded that the upcoming TV deals are not going to satisfy their revenue requirements, and that the broadcast landscape has changed entirely.  They are going to move pre-emptively to preserve their program status - we've all seen how quickly OU can throw the conference under the bus, this should come as no surprise. 

My only consolation?  We aren't being subjected to the moronic musings of OU's David Boren. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30723 on: July 22, 2021, 07:14:41 AM »
Wow, I picked the wrong couple days to not tune into the board....just seeing this now.  :eek:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30724 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
College Football if it even exists in 10 year will be regional interest sport with huge swaths of the country not caring.   That’s already the case now and that’s going to accelerate.   

It’ll be a Southern/Texas thing.   The only thing that will save that from being diluted by migration South is the massive influx of Northern out of state students who stay in the region.   But even then, dilution.   It will be the sport of townies, regionalists and Southern homers. 

Not sustainable on a national scale.