Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980398 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30525 on: March 04, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
We can't actually kick anyone out, though. Too mean.

I'm not sure if we can convince the California schools to share a conference with a pro-rape backwater institution like Baylor. TCU would be difficult, but maybe doable.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30526 on: March 04, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
Baylor has to be on double secret probation by now. Just wait until their next mess up (the way they go that’ll probably be next week) and revoke their charter

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30527 on: March 04, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
:crackes knuckles:

Welcome back old friend.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30528 on: March 04, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »
Bounce
LOOKS LIKE THE CONVERSATION IS BEING BROUGHT UP AGAIN!

Formation of a Pac-12/Big-12 Strategic Alliance Deemed “Very Likely”
UCLA isn’t going to become the Big-12’s 11th member, but one former Big-12 athletic director deemed the eventual formation of a strategic alliance between the Pac-12 and the Big-12 – on tier-one rights (as was first discussed back in ’12) – as “very likely.” The move simply makes too much sense for it not to happen. 24 schools, spread across 4 time zones, would generate the leverage needed to ensure future growth in the value of their collective media rights; and the addition of several new opponents on each school’s home schedule would help to solve college football’s attendance problems (at least in the short-term).

:dance:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30529 on: March 04, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »
California will start paying their players in the next couple of years.  If we cherry pick the California schools, the Big XII will be paying their players.  Will make for the top players in the nation to play for the new Big XVI. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30530 on: August 11, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
 :babywillie:

Hi Everyone! Just a reminder that Big 12 TV deal runs out in the Spring of 2024.  So, we have at most 5 more seasons (if we play in 2020).  I doubt that the TV networks and other conferences wait until Spring of '24 to start the vulture circling.  Sooooo, we have maybe, what, 2 to 3 more peaceful seasons before the crap storm begins again?  :dunno:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30531 on: August 11, 2020, 06:51:02 PM »

Hi Everyone! Just a reminder that Big 12 TV deal runs out in the Spring of 2024.  So, we have at most 5 more seasons (if we play in 2020).  I doubt that the TV networks and other conferences wait until Spring of '24 to start the vulture circling.  Sooooo, we have maybe, what, 2 to 3 more peaceful seasons before the crap storm begins again?  :dunno:

I mark long lengths of time in conference TV contracts the same way they marked time with winters in GoT. Last contract/realignment I quit work to finish my masters.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30532 on: August 11, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »
We need to get Nebraska back along with Iowa or Minnesota to go back to twelve.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30533 on: August 11, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

2023 for the Pac 12. This probably starts up again at the conclusion of the fall 2021 season.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30534 on: August 11, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »
We need to get Nebraska back along with Iowa or Minnesota to go back to twelve.

The only way this even has a chance of happening is if Nebraska and Iowa file suit claiming that the postponed/cancelled season was a breach of contract, releasing them from their Grant of Rights. Iowa doesn't want to be in the same conference as Iowa State and I'm guessing Nebraska will never admit to making a mistake so nobody is suing anyone else to get into the Big 12.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30535 on: August 11, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »
Just spitting, MIR.  I know with the network contracts the P5 conferences have, there isn't much of a chance of movement like started in '10.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30536 on: August 12, 2020, 12:11:29 AM »
I think there's a chance of some upheaval, just not with those two schools. Some of the Pac 12 schools seem legitimately unhappy, but clearly Larry Scott still has the important ones he needs. I think the others are just stuck, but we'll see.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30537 on: August 12, 2020, 08:01:04 AM »

2023 for the Pac 12. This probably starts up again at the conclusion of the fall 2021 season.

OK, wow yeah. I had forgotten about PAC 12 being before us.  Yikes.  It's going to get nuts next year.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30538 on: August 12, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
As great/exciting as the BBS'n was back during the conference realignment saga of 2010-11 I don't know if I can handle it again. We almost ended up in the MWC or AAC  :frown:

Although if we do end up there this go around it wont hurt as much since our lord and savior Patrick Mahomes will be slinging darts for the KC Police Chiefs for the next 10+ years

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #30539 on: August 12, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »
As great/exciting as the BBS'n was back during the conference realignment saga of 2010-11 I don't know if I can handle it again. We almost ended up in the MWC or AAC  :frown:

Although if we do end up there this go around it wont hurt as much since our lord and savior Patrick Mahomes will be slinging darts for the KC Police Chiefs for the next 10+ years
yeah.. this thread brought back nightmares

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30540 on: August 12, 2020, 10:54:17 AM »
I’m much less worried that something will happen that results in K-State not being in a power conference this time around.

However, if it did happen, the impact I see it having on me personally would be much bigger. Last time around we’d had ~7 seasons middling at best. I didn’t have kids, so road trips were a much bigger factor. I was much more cool with the thought of going 8-4 to 11-1 in the MWC with MWC roadies then than I am now. K-State football served a different utility for me then with lower expectations in the B12.

That said, bring on the fanfic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30541 on: August 12, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »

We didn't though, worst case scenario was a Big 12 with some combo of BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF and USF replacing UT, OU, OSU, and maybe Tech. However, I still don't think that was close. OU and OSU being alone in the Pac 10 would have been awful. Tech in a P5 conference other than the Big 12 was lol.

Also that would have been worse for the Pac 12 than Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers has been for the Big 10. They absolutely would have come back when this media deal came up, the Pac 12 might have kicked them out.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30542 on: August 12, 2020, 12:24:14 PM »

We didn't though, worst case scenario was a Big 12 with some combo of BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF and USF replacing UT, OU, OSU, and maybe Tech. However, I still don't think that was close. OU and OSU being alone in the Pac 10 would have been awful. Tech in a P5 conference other than the Big 12 was lol.

Also that would have been worse for the Pac 12 than Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers has been for the Big 10. They absolutely would have come back when this media deal came up, the Pac 12 might have kicked them out.

You can choose to trust me or not. I had a source very close to Boren, as in I gave a eulogy at his funeral that Boren attended. There were 45 minutes where Boren thought he was going to the PAC with Texas and a group of others.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30543 on: August 12, 2020, 12:38:22 PM »
I definitely believe you.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30544 on: August 12, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »
think back in the day we'd call that A+++ source

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30545 on: August 12, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »

You can choose to trust me or not. I had a source very close to Boren, as in I gave a eulogy at his funeral that Boren attended. There were 45 minutes where Boren thought he was going to the PAC with Texas and a group of others.

It was my first sentence 'burglar
We didn't though, worst case scenario was a Big 12 with some combo of BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF and USF replacing UT, OU, OSU, and maybe Tech.

Them leaving wouldn't have led to us being in the MWC, just a Midwest version of the aughts Big East.

Hasn't is also been proven since that Boren was kinda out there on some of this and the Pac 10 presidents and chancellors were never going to let Texas keep their LHN money?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30546 on: August 12, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
I've got questions about this next round of TV deals, man.

What will be in the calculation the next time TV deals are done?  It's going to be different than the last round, but how different?  Last time, everyone was very interested in schools that could force cable companies to adopt their network and channels (e.g. Rutgers and Maryland).

Will the focus turn to how many actual viewers the conference brings instead of how many cable hostages they can produce?

Heck, will the "big buyers" in the next round be entities that didn't even exist during the last round?  Like Apple TV, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30547 on: August 12, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
Also, the Big 10 TV deal expires after the 2022-2023 season.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30548 on: August 12, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
Also, the Big 10 TV deal expires after the 2022-2023 season.

BigTen’s GoR is tied to their TV contract (was as of 2017 in an article by Adam Rittenberg). With 2020 effectively cancelled, there’s only two more seasons on it. Nebraska is risking leaving a lot of money on the table, but if the Big12 really wanted them back it might be workable.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30549 on: August 12, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »
I've got questions about this next round of TV deals, man.

What will be in the calculation the next time TV deals are done?  It's going to be different than the last round, but how different?  Last time, everyone was very interested in schools that could force cable companies to adopt their network and channels (e.g. Rutgers and Maryland).

Will the focus turn to how many actual viewers the conference brings instead of how many cable hostages they can produce?

Heck, will the "big buyers" in the next round be entities that didn't even exist during the last round?  Like Apple TV, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.

I don't think any of those streaming carriers will commit the cash that any of the networks will, they have tried this. NFL on Prime hasn't been great as far as attracting subscribers. I do think that we will finally start to see a bit of a rollback when it comes to these deals, not huge because there's still competition and live programming is still very much in demand, but not enough for the huge increases in rights fees that we've seen.