Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980708 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30500 on: September 10, 2019, 04:51:35 PM »
I hated it at every level.

One level I hated is how everyone seemed to just take it as a given that, of course, state university athletic departments should absolutely try to make as much money as they possibly can. FUUUUUUUCK that.

It was worse than that. People that call themselves fans of teams so internalized the profit motive-logic that was driving the actors in this that they were actually rooting for it. It wasn't people just familiarizing themselves with the terms of what was being done to them, but celebrating their own conference's destruction without even questioning it.
Exactly this.  It drove me crazy.

I think it was that fans of programs like MU and A&M wanted "we're desired and you're [KU/UT respectively] not."  So shortsighted and stupid.

Drove (drives?) ku fans nuts though
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30501 on: September 11, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »

One level I hated is how everyone seemed to just take it as a given that, of course, state university athletic departments should absolutely try to make as much money as they possibly can. FUUUUUUUCK that.

It was worse than that. People that call themselves fans of teams so internalized the profit motive-logic that was driving the actors in this that they were actually rooting for it. It wasn't people just familiarizing themselves with the terms of what was being done to them, but celebrating their own conference's destruction without even questioning it.

I think it was that fans of programs like MU and A&M wanted "we're desired and you're [KU/UT respectively] not."  So shortsighted and stupid.
I fee like it has worked out fairly well for aTm, am I wrong?
:adios:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30502 on: September 11, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »

I don't think they are any better or worse off than they were. If I were a fan, I would be upset about not being able to play Texas anymore, but their fans are pretty weird, so maybe they like that.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30503 on: September 12, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
A&M fans are like Trump supporters. They think whatever the school does is the greatest thing in the world and everyone else is just jealous they didn’t think of it/don’t have the balls to do it themselves.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30504 on: September 13, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »
 I thought you were supposed to remove the band BEFORE you smoked them.
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30506 on: October 23, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
Chaboy Greg

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1186715503894642688?s=19

This guy was exposed as a liar in the last realignment saga.

Do not read.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30507 on: October 23, 2019, 04:38:48 PM »
lol

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30508 on: October 24, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
A&M fans are like Trump supporters. They think whatever the school does is the greatest thing in the world and everyone else is just jealous they didn’t think of it/don’t have the balls to do it themselves.

:facepalm:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30509 on: October 24, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »

Those with TDS are asked to keep their delusional rants and unsupported claims to the birther pit, thank you.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30510 on: October 24, 2019, 06:43:54 AM »

I don't think they are any better or worse off than they were. If I were a fan, I would be upset about not being able to play Texas anymore, but their fans are pretty weird, so maybe they like that.

Fiscally, they are a little better off now than they were in the Big XII. The future of the program though, is much worse. They'll never be able to pass Alabama or LSU and instead, will simply be fighting Auburn or Arkansas for 3rd/4th place in their division annually.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30511 on: October 24, 2019, 06:48:32 AM »

I can't say it any better than these two quotes right here. Nebraska, more than anything, has banished themselves to a barren wasteland of football purgatory never to return until they likely leave the conference, which I doubt will happen. Don't worry though Nubs, you showed Texas and got that $$$ check.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30512 on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:21 AM »
out of all the teams that left the conference (i'm not factoring in Colorado since i don't know anything about the pac12) Nebraska got into the best division of the 3 teams.  Wisconsin is really the only "powerhouse" in that division, it was set up for them to come in and do something right away and Pelini won 9 or 10 games every year for 7 years and it wasn't good enough because Nebraska fans are still stuck in the 90's, afraid of Y2K.  I love it all.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30513 on: October 24, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »

Fiscally, they are a little better off now than they were in the Big XII. The future of the program though, is much worse. They'll never be able to pass Alabama or LSU and instead, will simply be fighting Auburn or Arkansas for 3rd/4th place in their division annually.

They also were never going to be able to pass Oklahoma or Texas in the Big 12.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30514 on: October 24, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »
A&M and their weird-ass fanbase is an outlier in any data set of conference changes.  They are just too strange/unique/delusional.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30515 on: March 04, 2020, 06:29:37 AM »
Sure! It's a fun thread. Let's keep it going!

https://twitter.com/Andy_Staples/status/1235176625710522368

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30516 on: March 04, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
So, does the Big 12 get rid of Baylor and another school in order to pick up the Arizona schools?  Or does the Big 12 try to add the AZ schools  and get our conference back to 12 teams?  (Assuming AZ schools are or can be put into  play).

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30517 on: March 04, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
Sean will bring the LA schools to the b12
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30518 on: March 04, 2020, 09:09:07 AM »
I don't know what it takes to read that thing, but this summary is from reddit:

TL;DR Between now and when the Pac-12’s media rights deal — and accompanying Grant of Rights agreement — runs out in spring 2024, the Big 12 needs to invite USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Arizona State. They very well might do it.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30519 on: March 04, 2020, 09:12:35 AM »
drop wv and baylor, grab az schools and usc/ucla

Southwest div

USC
UCLA
ASU
AU
TT
Texas

Northeast

OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
TCU

or you flop TCU and Texas if Texas would rather have that.

Or you boot TCU, and have the Big11 with 10 game round robin for football and 20 for bball.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30520 on: March 04, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »
USC
UCLA
ASU
Arizona
Texas
Tech

OU
OSU
KU
K-State
ISU
Colorado

this has the flavors i crave if we go past 10, but i don't want to get rid of the round robin

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30521 on: March 04, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »
Weren't Texas and UCLA all horny to play in the same division years ago?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30522 on: March 04, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »
That's what i'm saying, it will give Texas fans trips to cali/az, not sure OU will be down.  Colorado is the only team that left the 12 i want back.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30523 on: March 04, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
We should kick Baylor and TCU out. Don't invite WSU, Utah, Colorado, and Cal. Each division plays a 7 game round robin with 2 cross division games that don't count for division standing except to break a 3 way tie. Champs play in a CCG.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30524 on: March 04, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
We can't actually kick anyone out, though. Too mean.