Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3979621 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30150 on: November 16, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
Big Ten/Pac 12/ACC are all much better landing zones for an up and coach to manage expectations.

I mean look at how long you can stay put with mediocre results at some of those places. SEC is the worst and Big 12 is probably 2nd for shortest leash for a coach.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30151 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
Big Ten/Pac 12/ACC are all much better landing zones for an up and coach to manage expectations.

I mean look at how long you can stay put with mediocre results at some of those places. SEC is the worst and Big 12 is probably 2nd for shortest leash for a coach.

ISU is not your typical Big 12 program.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30152 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
I think Campbell would be smart to stay at ISU.

Why? There are probably 4-6 SEC jobs up for grabs. Most of those will pay more than ISU. Most of those are better places to be than Ames. Most of those would probably offer him the job.

even SEC coaches don't want SEC expectations.  dude would be out of a job in 2 years.  i'm not suggesting he stay in that shitfest of a town, Ames, though.  good grief :lol:

I was going to argue he could make as much in the SEC in two years as he could in 5 at ISU. But then I looked up his salary, and he could actually make around 3 mill this year there. Think he should stay at ISU and if he's good enough he'll have his choice of where he sees his best fit over the next few years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30153 on: November 16, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
I think Campbell would be smart to stay at ISU.

Why? There are probably 4-6 SEC jobs up for grabs. Most of those will pay more than ISU. Most of those are better places to be than Ames. Most of those would probably offer him the job.

even SEC coaches don't want SEC expectations.  dude would be out of a job in 2 years.  i'm not suggesting he stay in that shitfest of a town, Ames, though.  good grief :lol:
:cry:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30154 on: November 16, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »

He won't get the leash that Proud Paul did. He was a perfect storm of leash extending. He was from the Des Moines area, that Nebraska win, and the fact that he validated their referee conspiracy theories made them feel like he was one of them.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30155 on: November 17, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »

and UTenn is the toughest with the worst expectations to local recruiting territory ratio and the Alabama cross over game. 

I kinda want to see Briles get the UTenn or Ole Miss job

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30156 on: November 17, 2017, 08:30:26 AM »

and UTenn is the toughest with the worst expectations to local recruiting territory ratio and the Alabama cross over game. 

May not be in Ole Miss' best interests to hire someone with Briles' issues as their next head coach. And LOL at Currie hiring him.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30157 on: November 17, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »

Nebraska would be a perfect landing spot for Campbell, for both sides imo. Should Frost get a better gig or turn down Neb I think they should turn to Campbell

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30158 on: November 17, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
Campbell would be pretty dumb to take an SEC job. If I'd spent my entire career in the upper midwest I'd probably want to continue to coach and recruit from the same region.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30159 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »

Briles can't be getting any P5 offer any time soon right?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30160 on: November 27, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »

no, he was hired to a CFL assistant job and lost it before starting

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30161 on: November 27, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »

no, he was hired to a CFL assistant job and lost it before starting

This is some sort of Texas tragedy that Baylor fans will tear up over once they're relegated to the Mountain West.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30162 on: December 03, 2017, 01:49:53 AM »
This is either a preadmission or nightmare:  Last night I wasn't sleeping very well and I can't get this out of my mind.  Folks, Texas will break up the Big XII just like they did with the Southwest Conference.   They will start a new conference composed of the four Texas schools, the two Oklahoma schools, the two Arizona schools, and the four California schools.  This new Southwestern Conference will get top billing and along with it a huge network contract.

This would leave us to form the new Big XII, comprised of KSU, KU, ISU, WVU, with the addition of UCF, USF, UC, UH, CSU and Navy.  If possible, BSU and BYU.  Not sure this would still qualify or allow us to stay a P5 Conference, but it would cover nine states from Florida to Utah.  What say you?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30163 on: December 03, 2017, 05:08:47 AM »
Why wouldn't we get with Oregon Oregon St Washington and Washington state and oh yeah Utah and Colorado instead of that trash Katdaddy?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30164 on: December 03, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
Why wouldn't we get with Oregon Oregon St Washington and Washington state and oh yeah Utah and Colorado instead of that trash Katdaddy?
That may be what it comes to, but what if they take the MWC teams that are closer to their region.  West Virginia is a long ways from Washington.  That's why I was thinking BSU & BYU are a maybe.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30165 on: December 10, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
Long time TCU AD Chris Del Conte is the new UT AD - I believe this is a very good thing for us in the context of this thread

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30166 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
I feel good about Del Conte keeping the Big XII together, he is a deal maker.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tcu-has-texas-venerable-ad-to-thank-for-being-in-big-12/

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30167 on: January 05, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
Well, this is certainly an interesting realignment proposal:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heres-radical-new-college-football-playoff-plan-possibly-end-complaining-022518359.html

We add 4 teams, play in two divisions.  One can debate the additions to the Big 12, but it is certainly an entertaining proposal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30168 on: January 05, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heres-radical-new-college-football-playoff-plan-possibly-end-complaining-022518359.html

We add 4 teams, play in two divisions.  One can debate the additions to the Big 12, but it is certainly an entertaining proposal.

It dilutes the schedule. Having the schedule mostly comprised of shitty north schools with Cincinnati and Memphis seems really gross and boring. Fourteen team conferences are AIDS.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30169 on: January 05, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
Also the unbalanced schedule thing would really be problematic. You would have to either:
1. Eliminate cross divisional games
2. Treat cross divisional games as non-cons
3. Only use record in cross divisional games as a like fourth or fifth tiebreaker if needed.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30170 on: January 05, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »

trash proposal. I agree a lot with what MIR points out. Also articles like that are stupid because there is no all-powerful deciding body that can force conferences to add teams or how they force how they make schedules.

When the current TV deal is up, the playoff will expand to 8. Instead of stupid weird realignment scenarios if the media really wants a school like UCF to get in they and the G5 schools need to begin to lobby and even get politicians on their side so that when it expands to 8 they have at least one locked in spot.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:49:39 PM by scottwildcat »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30171 on: January 05, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »
i can't think of anything better from an entertainment standpoint than the round robin

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30172 on: January 05, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
Big 12 is in the right spot with 10 teams.  Honestly we should probably just change the name at this point.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30173 on: January 05, 2018, 03:58:43 PM »
Fourteen team conferences are two seven team conferences.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30174 on: January 06, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »
i’d like to do a 3 team conference- k-state, ou, texas

probably not likely to happen but if it does, we could call it The Big 3

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.