Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4062308 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29975 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
I don't believe that at all. OU doesn't swing any bigger of a hammer than Nebraska or A&M. Texas is a massive athletic department, biggest and best in the country and they're in our conference, that's a great thing. What the hell is Oklahoma other than a great football program? They don't have a major media market, they aren't a top 10 athletic department, before Bob Stoops they were completely irrelevant. Nebraska had full control of the Big 8 before the "merger."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29976 on: August 22, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Agree with mir about OU

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29977 on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:47 AM »
This conference would be done without OU. Don't kid yourself.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29978 on: August 23, 2017, 06:29:10 AM »
I should say, done as any type of respected power conference. Not necessarily that it would cease to exist.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29979 on: August 23, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
So if OU has some serious growing pains due to their new coach. . .what does that do to the perception of the conference?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29980 on: August 23, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »
So if OU has some serious growing pains due to their new coach. . .what does that do to the perception of the conference?
Depends a lot on what Herman does. If OU and UT suck, it's not a good look for the conference. I mean it's no rough ridin' secret that if Baylor and TCU were OU and UT a few years back, the Big 12 would have gotten someone in the playoff. As much as I love CFB, it's still a beauty contest until you literally play your way in to the playoffs. And name teams will virtually always get the benefit. I don't personally believe it's anything to do with ratings, but of the general belief that they recruit better, have more talent, and are simply better than the flash in the pan teams w/ the same record.

Rankings generally reflect this sentiment, and a committee is no different than any different human ranking except w/ fewer people.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29981 on: August 23, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
The Mountain West announced they will stream six games live on Facebook this year  :surprised:

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29982 on: August 23, 2017, 09:30:38 PM »
Depends a lot on what Herman does. If OU and UT suck, it's not a good look for the conference. I mean it's no rough ridin' secret that if Baylor and TCU were OU and UT a few years back, the Big 12 would have gotten someone in the playoff. As much as I love CFB, it's still a beauty contest until you literally play your way in to the playoffs. And name teams will virtually always get the benefit. I don't personally believe it's anything to do with ratings, but of the general belief that they recruit better, have more talent, and are simply better than the flash in the pan teams w/ the same record.

Rankings generally reflect this sentiment, and a committee is no different than any different human ranking except w/ fewer people.

Totally agree and it is this fact that screws the conference over, at least relative to simply using the old BCS formula to pick the playoff teams. Nine out of ten times, the Ohio State's of the world will get the benefit of the doubt, while a TCU or KSU gets no such consideration unless we're prefect.

Offline Mike from Ft. Collins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29983 on: August 24, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »

Agree with CFP being a beauty contest.  That's why automatic bids for conference champs are needed.  They'll stabilize the conferences, at least the ones with auto bids.  All we'd be able to bitch about then is the at-large bids (if there are some).

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29984 on: August 24, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »

Agree with CFP being a beauty contest.  That's why automatic bids for conference champs are needed.  They'll stabilize the conferences, at least the ones with auto bids.  All we'd be able to bitch about then is the at-large bids (if there are some).
That's where I'm at. Go to 8, take the 5 conference champs. From there I'd prefer to be inclusive and give 1 bid to the G5 and 2 more at large bids. Like you said, there would be plenty of bitching amongst those at large teams, but at least every power conference team knows exactly how to get there. If they don't win their conference and get skipped over for the at large spots, too bad so sad. The groundwork was laid prior to the season start.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29985 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
Personally, in a perfect world, we'd get the two AZ schools, the Pac-12 would up and take Colorado State and BYU, and then we would have an 8 team playoff.

I like a 12 team conference, and I'd love to have Arizona and Arizona State.  And BYU and Colorado State would give some natural rivals to CU and Utah.

I also think that the Big 12 and Pac 12 should pool their Tier 1 and Tier 2 media rights and create a lot of cross conference match-ups.

But, hey, what do I know?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29986 on: August 26, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
Personally, in a perfect world, we'd get the two AZ schools, the Pac-12 would up and take Colorado State and BYU, and then we would have an 8 team playoff.

I like a 12 team conference, and I'd love to have Arizona and Arizona State.  And BYU and Colorado State would give some natural rivals to CU and Utah.

I also think that the Big 12 and Pac 12 should pool their Tier 1 and Tier 2 media rights and create a lot of cross conference match-ups.

I think all power conferences should combine media rights and bargain. Nobody watches anything live that has commercials except sports. I would think combining all would give schools even more leverage.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29987 on: August 26, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »

There is a better chance Nebraska and Missouri come back than the Pac-12 adding BYU

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29988 on: August 27, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
I think some sort of 20 team Big PAC would be cool. Each 10 team division plays a round robin. No cross-division play that counts in the standings. Division champs play in the Rose Bowl.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29989 on: August 27, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »

There is a better chance Nebraska and Missouri come back than the Pac-12 adding BYU

I don't agree. There's literally one issue keeping BYU out of the Big 12.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29990 on: August 27, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »
I agree with that, but I don't think byu will ever give in on that issue. Maybe the conference will.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29991 on: August 27, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »

Which is?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29992 on: August 27, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »

I said BYU to the P12.

I agree with you on BYU to the B12.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29993 on: August 27, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »

Which is?
Sunday play.

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29994 on: August 27, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »
I'm of the personal opinion that BYU would be a giant headache if they ever hypothetically joined the conference. A school that openly calls themselves 'The Notre Dame of The West' has delusions of grandeur imo. Yes on paper they seem like they'd add the most stability to our conference, but i could easily see them becoming another thorn in the conferences side by insisting they be treated like Texas and getting same cut  revenue, etc. It would be Nebraska constantly in a pissing match with Texas all over again

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29995 on: August 27, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Seeing that T1 and T2 money is distributed evenly that wouldn't the cause of any BYU induced headaches.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29996 on: August 27, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »
I agree with that, but I don't think byu will ever give in on that issue. Maybe the conference will.

The conference can't, they would if they could but the geographic foot print of the conference would make it impossible to eliminate a weekend day to play games. It's an issue for the Olympic sports only but of course they are the ones that have problems with travel already.

The conference would flex if they could, I think BYU is one of the schools in college athletics that could bring measurable revenue to a conference. Scott's Pac 12 theory is interesting because it would be much easier for them to accommodate BYU, but it's worth noting they had a chance and opted for Utah instead.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29997 on: August 28, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »

The conference can't, they would if they could but the geographic foot print of the conference would make it impossible to eliminate a weekend day to play games. It's an issue for the Olympic sports only but of course they are the ones that have problems with travel already.

The conference would flex if they could, I think BYU is one of the schools in college athletics that could bring measurable revenue to a conference. Scott's Pac 12 theory is interesting because it would be much easier for them to accommodate BYU, but it's worth noting they had a chance and opted for Utah instead.

Sunday play obviously super important to them getting into the Big XII, with that aside, how much does some of this (especially in the PAC 12 case) simply have to do with not wanting THAT kind of jesus-y team in the conference?

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29998 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »

Sunday play obviously super important to them getting into the Big XII, with that aside, how much does some of this (especially in the PAC 12 case) simply have to do with not wanting THAT kind of jesus-y team in the conference?

If Sunday play is mostly an issue with the olympic sports, then why not invite them for football only?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29999 on: August 28, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »

Nobody cares about them being jesus-y.  If anything, that is what gives them their giant footprint and thus is part of the appeal