Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3981483 times)

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29950 on: August 20, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
How much more are the big 12 schools making than the pac12 schools?
Dax fan club member!

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29951 on: August 20, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
How much more are the big 12 schools making than the pac12 schools?

All tier rights, it sounds like the lower end of the Big 12 will make roughly 10-12 mill more per school next year, OU/KU around 15-17 mill more, up to about 20 mill more for Texas.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29952 on: August 20, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
a pac12/big12 mashup is seriously boner city dudes
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29953 on: August 20, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »

Well, you should avoid wearing sweatpants in 2023 & 2024.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29954 on: August 20, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »

Well, you should avoid wearing sweatpants in 2023 & 2024.

The irony is that everyone talks about what dire straits the Big 12 is in, but the Pac 12 has been hemorrhaging money for years.  They are the least stable conference without question.

The only reason people don't know the Pac 12 is in trouble is because 75% of the country couldn't give two shits about the Pac-12.  Which is why they're in this mess.

Something radical is going to happen in about five years, but it's not going to be any of our schools defecting over there.  There will absolutely be overtures by some schools to come here or create some sort of joint rights deal.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29955 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
I wonder what the television world will look like, in general, in 5 years.  Not sure it looks better for college sports deals, but even if it's worse overall for everyone, it will still be relatively worse for those PAC schools. 

It also doesn't help them that they carry so many odd ball sports.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29956 on: August 21, 2017, 07:46:45 AM »
what are the conference bylaws on voting to dissolve the conference? how many votes are needed? simple majority, 7/10, 8/10? I could maybe see a scenario where UT and UCLA/USC lead the charge to create a 16 team combo-conference near the end of the P12 GOR deal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29957 on: August 21, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
what are the conference bylaws on voting to dissolve the conference? how many votes are needed? simple majority, 7/10, 8/10? I could maybe see a scenario where UT and UCLA/USC lead the charge to create a 16 team combo-conference near the end of the P12 GOR deal.

How would that be beneficial to Texas? They have absolutely no reason to cede power.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29958 on: August 21, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »

How would that be beneficial to Texas? They have absolutely no reason to cede power.

If the reputation of the BIGXII diminishes to the point that we have no way into the CFP unless our record is better than all other options.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29959 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »

If the reputation of the BIGXII diminishes to the point that we have no way into the CFP unless our record is better than all other options.

That's too difficult to do.  They won't do that.

The easiest, and most likely thing, is that the Arizona schools (or anyone else in the Pac-12) say they're done with the Pac-12 as their current contract expires and say they'll leave the conference for the 2024-2025 school year.   They could make the announcement in 2022 or 2023.  There will be no buyout necessary.  They'll just make arrangements to join the Big 12 for 2024.

If they announced a couple of years in advance, we would simply renegotiate with our partners a year early to more effectively plan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29960 on: August 21, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

Is there an abundance of two loss teams getting in the CFP that I missed?

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29961 on: August 21, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »

Is there an abundance of two loss teams getting in the CFP that I missed?

Not yet, but theoretically we might have six more years of the current system with the current conferences. If the playoff committee respects the league less and less over time that could cause UT to want to bolt.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29962 on: August 21, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
lol, Yard Dog.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29963 on: August 21, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »
The Big 12 is, and will be, fine.

I wouldn't worry about many hot take analyses until someone understands the Big 12 compensation structure.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29964 on: August 21, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »
UT changing conferences would only make their chances at the playoff slimmer.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29965 on: August 21, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
I feel pretty comfortable.  However, I'd feel more comfortable if we can cut back to 8 conference games & get Texas & A&M playing again.  I'd feel rock solid if we could get OU & Nebraska playing more often, but the BigTen's 9 game conference schedule won't allow it.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29966 on: August 21, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »

Texas would still be the power and be the shot caller in a hybrid Big XII/Pac-12 16 team conference, and it would benefit them by being aligned basically a cherry picked group of schools from the Pac-12 and Big XII

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29967 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »

Texas would still be the power and be the shot caller in a hybrid Big XII/Pac-12 16 team conference, and it would benefit them by being aligned basically a cherry picked group of schools from the Pac-12 and Big XII

You're almost stuck with the Pac-8 + others.  Those teams, in one way or another, have been affiliated since the 1920's.  Some of them go back to founding the Pacific Coast Conference in 1915.

That is an incredibly cohesive group of schools, especially the four in California.  Texas would absolutely cede power in that relationship.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29968 on: August 21, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
Leave the PAC 8 to play with themselves.

Go get the mountain time zoners with less/no PAC tradition (AZ schools, Utes, and Colorado) to go to 14. If WVU becomes a travel issue, push them into a more easterny confy and dump Baylor (for rape reasons) to be a 12 team conference.

Offline Mike from Ft. Collins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29969 on: August 21, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »

Go get the mountain time zoners with less/no PAC tradition (AZ schools, Utes, and Colorado) to go to 14. If WVU becomes a travel issue, push them into a more easterny confy and dump Baylor (for rape reasons) to be a 12 team conference.

I just don't see Colorado being in the same league with Texas again.  I think Colorado to the big 10 is more likely than Colorado to the Big 12.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29970 on: August 21, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »

You're almost stuck with the Pac-8 + others.  Those teams, in one way or another, have been affiliated since the 1920's.  Some of them go back to founding the Pacific Coast Conference in 1915.

That is an incredibly cohesive group of schools, especially the four in California.  Texas would absolutely cede power in that relationship.

During the that time point where Larry Scott tried to poach a couple of Big 12 teams, I seem to recall a vote to allow conference schools to keep tier 3 revenue and it was rejected, killing any chance of Texas going there. I also seem to recall the chancellor of the University of California system with some harsh words about doing things their way and culture.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29971 on: August 21, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »

I just don't see Colorado being in the same league with Texas again.  I think Colorado to the big 10 is more likely than Colorado to the Big 12.

No big deal at all, they add not a nickel of value. BYU would be a much better add for any conference.

Offline eat_beef

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29972 on: August 21, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
If the Big12 wants the state of Colorado, CSU is the answer, not CU.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29973 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
If the Big12 wants the state of Colorado, CSU is the answer, not CU.

what did you have for dinner tonight?

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29974 on: August 22, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
One thing that I think people are forgetting is that there are two schools that can end the Big 12. Texas is obviously the big dog, but OU also has access to the launch codes and their fingers on that big red button.

If the next couple of years prove that the Big 12 is too disrespected to get our conf champ into the CFP, OU is going to push that button.  We don't only have to worry about whether Texas will cede power and go elsewhere... we also have to worry about OU acting like a loose cannon. And does anyone think Boren is not a loose cannon?

Ideally, the Big 12 needs Texas or Oklahoma to get into the playoff and win it. Failing that, the Big 12 needs to consistently get its champ into the playoff. Failing THAT, the Big 12 is going to simply dissolve when the GOR and TV contracts end as OU goes elsewhere.