Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4063895 times)

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32850 on: October 19, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/undefeated-cincinnati-college-football-playoff-selection-committee/e0znrzaiuxz61t01r6dlifsg4

Cincinnati has traveled this same path already, winning every regular-season game and the American Athletic Conference championship game in 2020 while dodging COVID-19 stoppages like everyone else. The Bearcats were ranked eighth and placed behind a Florida team that fell three times.

All those words and none of them addressed the fact that Cincinnati is currently in CFP position in the polls and the computer models, they're 4th in the Massey composite.
https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

It's flat dishonest to write an article about this and not point out that Cincinnati's profile is unlike every G5 team before them. They are so astronomically ahead of any predecessor that it isn't fathomable for another G5 to reach #3 in the polls and #4 in the computers.

Any idea if it is likely they maintain that ranking?  I don't know how much their conference SOS will hurt them compared to P5 teams.

Based upon previous history and looking at the current top 25, I'd say they still stand a good chance at making it.

SEC: Only Georgia, Alabama, and Kentucky are still in the hunt. Kentucky and Georgia play this weekend with the winner likely being division champ. Alabama already has one loss and has to win out including the CCG to make it in. While a scenario or two exists, the SEC is likely only getting one team in this year.

big 10: Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, M-State and Penn State are all still technically in the hunt. Big ten east is simply loaded. Unfortunately for them, they all still have to play each other and so the losses are going to mount up. A scenario exists where two teams get it, but it's very unlikely. big 10 is only getting 1 in this year

Pac: Hahaha

Big XII: Oklahoma and OSU are the only teams with a shot unless Baylor flips a switch and suddenly wins out in convincing fashion, and OSU would need a little help too. Otherwise, BlowU is it unless they lose the CCG.

Remaining teams still technically in the hunt but that can't leapfrog Cincinnati without other teams losing: ND, Coastal, Oregon, Wake Forest, and Arizona State.

So yeah, if I'm Cincinnati and I win out, I like my chances of making the playoff!

Just an update.

SEC: Georgia and Alabama are now it, and Bama can't afford to stumble at all the rest of the way. Kentucky and Ole Miss making it in is possible, but not really plausible.

big 10: Iowa gonna Iowa. It's possible for them to still get in, but most likely they end up like 2018 Ohio State who also only lost to Purdue that year. The other 4 still have to play each other.

Pac: Still LOL

BigXII: BlowU and Okie Light still in the hunt. Baylor still has an outside shot but has to win out convincingly to make it happen.

Arizona State dropped a game to Utah, so they're pretty much out of it. So the only remaining teams still technically in the hunt but that can't leapfrog Cincinnati without other teams losing: ND, Coastal, Oregon, and Wake Forest.

So far, still looking good for future conference member Cincinnati.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32851 on: October 19, 2021, 04:41:53 PM »
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/undefeated-cincinnati-college-football-playoff-selection-committee/e0znrzaiuxz61t01r6dlifsg4

Cincinnati has traveled this same path already, winning every regular-season game and the American Athletic Conference championship game in 2020 while dodging COVID-19 stoppages like everyone else. The Bearcats were ranked eighth and placed behind a Florida team that fell three times.

All those words and none of them addressed the fact that Cincinnati is currently in CFP position in the polls and the computer models, they're 4th in the Massey composite.

It's flat dishonest to write an article about this and not point out that Cincinnati's profile is unlike every G5 team before them. They are so astronomically ahead of any predecessor that it isn't fathomable for another G5 to reach #3 in the polls and #4 in the computers.

Any idea if it is likely they maintain that ranking?  I don't know how much their conference SOS will hurt them compared to P5 teams.

Based upon previous history and looking at the current top 25, I'd say they still stand a good chance at making it.

SEC: Only Georgia, Alabama, and Kentucky are still in the hunt. Kentucky and Georgia play this weekend with the winner likely being division champ. Alabama already has one loss and has to win out including the CCG to make it in. While a scenario or two exists, the SEC is likely only getting one team in this year.

big 10: Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, M-State and Penn State are all still technically in the hunt. Big ten east is simply loaded. Unfortunately for them, they all still have to play each other and so the losses are going to mount up. A scenario exists where two teams get it, but it's very unlikely. big 10 is only getting 1 in this year

Big XII: Oklahoma and OSU are the only teams with a shot unless Baylor flips a switch and suddenly wins out in convincing fashion, and OSU would need a little help too. Otherwise, BlowU is it unless they lose the CCG.

Remaining teams still technically in the hunt but that can't leapfrog Cincinnati without other teams losing: ND, Coastal, Oregon, Wake Forest, and Arizona State.

So yeah, if I'm Cincinnati and I win out, I like my chances of making the playoff!

Just an update.

SEC: Georgia and Alabama are now it, and Bama can't afford to stumble at all the rest of the way. Kentucky and Ole Miss making it in is possible, but not really plausible.

big 10: Iowa gonna Iowa. It's possible for them to still get in, but most likely they end up like 2018 Ohio State who also only lost to Purdue that year. The other 4 still have to play each other.

BigXII: BlowU and Okie Light still in the hunt. Baylor still has an outside shot but has to win out convincingly to make it happen.

Arizona State dropped a game to Utah, so they're pretty much out of it. So the only remaining teams still technically in the hunt but that can't leapfrog Cincinnati without other teams losing: ND, Coastal, Oregon, and Wake Forest.

Teams that will get in ahead of Cincy:
1.  Georgia barring 2 losses
2.  B!G Champion is in regardless
3.  Big 12 Champion OU is in even with one loss
4. Alabama is in if they don't lose another game
5. If Iowa wins Big 10, Champ game loser is in.  If Iowa loses Big 10 Champ Big 10 East runner up is in.

I don't like Cincy chances at all.  Not saying this is right but it is how f-up'd I think the selection process is.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32852 on: October 19, 2021, 05:13:03 PM »

Just an update.

5. If Iowa wins Big 10, Champ game loser is in.  If Iowa loses Big 10 Champ Big 10 East runner up is in.

I don't like Cincy chances at all.  Not saying this is right but it is how f-up'd I think the selection process is.

You and I are generally lock step, but man, I don't agree with you at all here. I'd bet any amount of money anyone wants to bet that an undefeated Cincinnati gets into the CFP. Their final resume will be almost identical to some of the resumes that Clemson put together.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32853 on: October 19, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
I have zero doubts about the ability of the playoff committee to somehow manage to find four "resumes" superior to Cincinnati's.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32854 on: October 19, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »
I have zero doubts about the ability of the playoff committee to somehow manage to find four "resumes" superior to Cincinnati's.

The committee is different every two years and there's no precedent for the committee screwing over a team that should be in for one who clearly shouldn't..

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32855 on: October 19, 2021, 05:42:33 PM »

The committee is different every two years and there's no precedent for the committee screwing over a team that should be in for one who clearly shouldn't..

No one out of OU+2 SEC+big 10 champ would fall into the category of "clearly shouldn't be there", but they could still screw Cincy in the process.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32856 on: October 19, 2021, 05:43:52 PM »
Who’s the second SEC team?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32857 on: October 19, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »

Georgia goes undefeated, loses to a 1-loss Bama in the CCG. I'd expect both to get in under that scenario

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32858 on: October 19, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

No one out of OU+2 SEC+big 10 champ would fall into the category of "clearly shouldn't be there", but they could still screw Cincy in the process.

True, although one loss OU or a one loss Big 10 champion isn't the slam dunk they have been in the past. OUs non con was awful and they didn't play well during it. Iowa beating Penn State is going to end up hurting that conference and I think those Big 10 East schools are going to end up beating the hell out of each other.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32859 on: October 19, 2021, 06:07:26 PM »

Georgia goes undefeated, loses to a 1-loss Bama in the CCG. I'd expect both to get in under that scenario

Yea that’s nightmare fuel for Cincy.  Thats the only scenario that keeps them out.  I think high probability Georgia wins out tho.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32860 on: October 20, 2021, 10:52:15 AM »

You and I are generally lock step, but man, I don't agree with you at all here. I'd bet any amount of money anyone wants to bet that an undefeated Cincinnati gets into the CFP. Their final resume will be almost identical to some of the resumes that Clemson put together.

We will see, the biggest difference in the Clemson and Cincy resume is changing one C to an A.  I know that the committee say that conference affiliation does not matter but we all know it really does.  It is embedded in the highly scientific "eye test" metric.  I don't have a strong enough opinion that I am right on this to bet real money but we should bring this back up once the selections are made.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32861 on: October 20, 2021, 10:30:28 PM »
Nothing on Bowlsby gutting Texas like a fish?
https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/1450892872505597955

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32863 on: October 21, 2021, 07:32:36 AM »
Why does he act like he has no idea why they left? Is he trying to imply they're just leaving for money? Why not just say that, because duh

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32865 on: October 21, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
Wichita State could start a football program and be competitive Day 1.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32866 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »
Why does he act like he has no idea why they left? Is he trying to imply they're just leaving for money? Why not just say that, because duh

He did when he said they told him it was about the contract extension of 5 years, the lose of money in the new network contract vs SEC, and fans not liking the quality of the teams on the schedule...Kansas. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32867 on: October 21, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »

I don't know, I can only assume he doesn't want to get sued. That seems to be the only fear motivator for rich executives.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32868 on: October 21, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
There are two "why did they do it" questions in there. One is about the particular reasons Texas and OU decided to move. Another is about whether or not they made a good decision.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32869 on: October 21, 2021, 11:49:24 AM »
Seems pretty clear all parties involved in them moving to the SEC banked on big 12 imploding

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32870 on: October 21, 2021, 02:06:21 PM »
Seems pretty clear all parties involved in them moving to the SEC banked on big 12 imploding

1000%. Which is why, while some of it is a little to a lot crappy, but getting Cincy, UCF, BYU, and Houston to keep the Big 12 alive while forcing OU and Texas to stay put or pay $$$$$$$$$ is the best scenario to come out of this all things considering. Is it great, no, but I am thoroughly enjoying seeing their lil plan get shithoused and them forced to eat it. It's actually quite nice to see that plan to blow up the Big 12 blow up on them. It was/is their worst case scenario out of it all, which for them isn't that bad but still. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32871 on: October 21, 2021, 06:11:17 PM »
There are two "why did they do it" questions in there. One is about the particular reasons Texas and OU decided to move. Another is about whether or not they made a good decision.

If you're a detached administrator only caring about the bottom line, then hell yes, it was the right decision. If you're a fan, I it absolutely was the 100% wrong decision. However, college sports fans will absolutely willingly eat crap and love it if their AD and the media tell them to.

If you're OU, you've been the big dog in your conference for literally 70 years. Nebraska's best success came when OU had three straight bad coaches, as soon as OU found a good coach again Nebraska and Texas became absolutely second rate citizens. OU got to absolutely destroy your conference comprised of your closest neighbors. Now they're coming into a new conference, predominantly not your neighbors and they aren't going to respect them and they are going to want to wreck their crap. OU goes from running a conference of 70 years to becoming Tennessee and Texas A&M.

Texas already has the biggest budget in college athletics, what the hell do they need more money for. OU ran the football, UT ran the conference, had their own network and everything. Business wise, they are just an also ran in their new conference, no one will placate them or genuflect to them. For football they went from being a clear #2, no matter how overrated they are, to fighting for scraps with Arkansas, A&M, and Ole Miss.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32872 on: October 21, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »

If you're a detached administrator only caring about the bottom line, then hell yes, it was the right decision. If you're a fan, I it absolutely was the 100% wrong decision. However, college sports fans will absolutely willingly eat crap and love it if their AD and the media tell them to.

If you're OU, you've been the big dog in your conference for literally 70 years. Nebraska's best success came when OU had three straight bad coaches, as soon as OU found a good coach again Nebraska and Texas became absolutely second rate citizens. OU got to absolutely destroy your conference comprised of your closest neighbors. Now they're coming into a new conference, predominantly not your neighbors and they aren't going to respect them and they are going to want to wreck their crap. OU goes from running a conference of 70 years to becoming Tennessee and Texas A&M.

Texas already has the biggest budget in college athletics, what the hell do they need more money for. OU ran the football, UT ran the conference, had their own network and everything. Business wise, they are just an also ran in their new conference, no one will placate them or genuflect to them. For football they went from being a clear #2, no matter how overrated they are, to fighting for scraps with Arkansas, A&M, and Ole Miss.

Bullshit. Everyone genuflects to UT(exas). They will learn, else we will make them. :hornsup:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32873 on: October 21, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
Yep, it would be  :lol: if they get pissed at the SEC in a few years and break up the league.   :ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32874 on: October 21, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »
I think it's good for Texas fans - they'll have their two closest rivals plus a historic rival in Arkansas and a big time neighboring state program in LSU. OU fans are just t-shirt fan idiots so they'll gobble the crap up. I think OU will be pretty competitive too.