Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3981756 times)

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30250 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:51 PM »
I understand the concern and the somewhat poor position that KSU is in.  However for the scenario that KU goes to big 10, Texas / OU to the PAC or SEC and the B12 folds to play out there has to be a number of things lineup before the GOR runs out in 2024-25.

1) Texas and OU have to be able to make more money than their current B12 pay from Tier 1 & 2 as well as their own Tier 3 networks.  For OU the SEC could probably make that happen.  For Texas, and the LHN, the current SEC and P12 Networks would need to up their pay to make it work.  I don't see how the PAC12 could offer them more money... I could be wrong.

2) Texas politics would have to allow the change... we have seen this before with Richards and Baylor, the blowup over TAM/ Texas split, the pending B12 and Texas split and recently the B12 and Houston.  For Texas to leave Tech, Baylor and TCU out in the cold it will take some massive political work.

3) If I remember correctly, Kansas and Oklahoma both have one board of educators to govern their schools.  Therefore, for KU and OU to split off and leave KSU and OSU the boards would have to approve that... not to mention potential political action.  That seems like a big step.  Missouri and Nebraska did not have this say problem because they are the only FBS football schools in the state. 

4) This is minor, but I think the move to a Power Four is somewhat contingent on the four team playoff (in football) format.  Between now and 2024, this could change - especially with the all SEC finals.  Obviously TV dollars are going to dictate a lot of everything, but we'll see what happens.

5) Finally, as the article posted above points out I think we are finding that eyeballs in a state, television viewership and success of a network aren't allows correlated.  Did adding Rutgers do much for the B10?  What about the PAC12 network, they have tons of eyeballs but millions more cord-cutters and some very empty football stadiums.  I have no idea what streaming will do, but again there are a lot of balls in the air here.

As always, KSU can only worry about what they can control: keep winning, keep building facilities, keep building the brand, keep filling stadiums, etc.  Demographics will be hard to overcome, but KSU can do a lot to help itself in the next several years.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30251 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
I understand the concern and the somewhat poor position that KSU is in.  However for the scenario that KU goes to big 10, Texas / OU to the PAC or SEC and the B12 folds to play out there has to be a number of things lineup before the GOR runs out in 2024-25.

1) Texas and OU have to be able to make more money than their current B12 pay from Tier 1 & 2 as well as their own Tier 3 networks.  For OU the SEC could probably make that happen.  For Texas, and the LHN, the current SEC and P12 Networks would need to up their pay to make it work.  I don't see how the PAC12 could offer them more money... I could be wrong.

2) Texas politics would have to allow the change... we have seen this before with Richards and Baylor, the blowup over TAM/ Texas split, the pending B12 and Texas split and recently the B12 and Houston.  For Texas to leave Tech, Baylor and TCU out in the cold it will take some massive political work.

3) If I remember correctly, Kansas and Oklahoma both have one board of educators to govern their schools.  Therefore, for KU and OU to split off and leave KSU and OSU the boards would have to approve that... not to mention potential political action.  That seems like a big step.  Missouri and Nebraska did not have this say problem because they are the only FBS football schools in the state. 

4) This is minor, but I think the move to a Power Four is somewhat contingent on the four team playoff (in football) format.  Between now and 2024, this could change - especially with the all SEC finals.  Obviously TV dollars are going to dictate a lot of everything, but we'll see what happens.

5) Finally, as the article posted above points out I think we are finding that eyeballs in a state, television viewership and success of a network aren't allows correlated.  Did adding Rutgers do much for the B10?  What about the PAC12 network, they have tons of eyeballs but millions more cord-cutters and some very empty football stadiums.  I have no idea what streaming will do, but again there are a lot of balls in the air here.

As always, KSU can only worry about what they can control: keep winning, keep building facilities, keep building the brand, keep filling stadiums, etc.  Demographics will be hard to overcome, but KSU can do a lot to help itself in the next several years.

The political wrangling in the state's of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas that it would take to put us in a position to be in the Mountain West (or some other land of mediocrity) is monumental. I think this gets lost in a lot in the journalism out there on the "future demise of the Big 12".

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30252 on: February 02, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
You're right about the playoffs though, if we ever go to 8 (or another system where 5 power conference champs auto qualify), the Big 12 will not split up. Texas and OU would know that one of them would almost always be in the playoffs.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30253 on: February 02, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
You're right about the playoffs though, if we ever go to 8 (or another system where 5 power conference champs auto qualify), the Big 12 will not split up. Texas and OU would know that one of them would almost always be in the playoffs.

This. For sure.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30254 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »

This. For sure.
That would be the best scenario, if only that would happen.  I'm worried we will get left behind, if not proactive about keeping the BIG XII exciting enough to not break up.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30255 on: February 02, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »

This. For sure.
And not to mention, not saying anything necessarily would happen, but I'm confident the Big 12 would look far more attractive to schools like Arkansas and LSU if we all get auto bids. Of course, we might tell them to piss off at that point too lol
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30256 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
and if we don't...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30257 on: February 02, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30258 on: February 02, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #30259 on: February 03, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
LOL at KU leaving is, and not vice versa
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30260 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

This. For sure.

Yet another reason among many why 8 teams is the superior layoff model
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30261 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:34 AM »
https://instagram.com/p/BfJNb1whCjq/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30262 on: February 13, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »
I wonder if there is a clause for helicoptering.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30263 on: February 14, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »
I really don't understand the non-Mormons who choose to attend that school.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30264 on: February 14, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »
Who reports masturbation?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30265 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30266 on: February 14, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »

Plumbers unclogging shower drains.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30267 on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
The All-American Prophet: Joseph Smith

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30268 on: February 14, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
The real questions is who do you report masturbation to... the spouse, the boss, the landlord, or the Lord; as in, "please don't take my hand in vain".

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30269 on: February 14, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
Didn't Baylor post something similar in thier dorms?  In that case, i believe it was the custodial staff that did the reporting...

:sdeek:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #30270 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
Lots of people itt supporting masturbating in a public restroom. :Wha:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30271 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
Pretty sure that was a fake put up by some ex-Mormon Redditors.  But very believable because it is forbidden by the BYU honor code and housing agreements, even for some off-campus housing.  Also is standard line of questioning during worthiness interviews with the bishop.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30273 on: February 18, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
This thread has taken a weird turn.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30274 on: February 19, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
This thread has taken a weird turn.
i know right? Somebody mentioned Colorado st again