Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066205 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30000 on: August 28, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
I agree with that, but I don't think byu will ever give in on that issue. Maybe the conference will.

The conference can't, they would if they could but the geographic foot print of the conference would make it impossible to eliminate a weekend day to play games. It's an issue for the Olympic sports only but of course they are the ones that have problems with travel already.

The conference would flex if they could, I think BYU is one of the schools in college athletics that could bring measurable revenue to a conference. Scott's Pac 12 theory is interesting because it would be much easier for them to accommodate BYU, but it's worth noting they had a chance and opted for Utah instead.

Sunday play obviously super important to them getting into the Big XII, with that aside, how much does some of this (especially in the PAC 12 case) simply have to do with not wanting THAT kind of jesus-y team in the conference?

Nobody cares about them being jesus-y.  If anything, that is what gives them their giant footprint and thus is part of the appeal
They might care

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=15858829

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30001 on: August 28, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
I'd rather not have another religious school in the Big 12, personally.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30002 on: August 28, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
I agree with that, but I don't think byu will ever give in on that issue. Maybe the conference will.

The conference can't, they would if they could but the geographic foot print of the conference would make it impossible to eliminate a weekend day to play games. It's an issue for the Olympic sports only but of course they are the ones that have problems with travel already.

The conference would flex if they could, I think BYU is one of the schools in college athletics that could bring measurable revenue to a conference. Scott's Pac 12 theory is interesting because it would be much easier for them to accommodate BYU, but it's worth noting they had a chance and opted for Utah instead.

Sunday play obviously super important to them getting into the Big XII, with that aside, how much does some of this (especially in the PAC 12 case) simply have to do with not wanting THAT kind of jesus-y team in the conference?

If Sunday play is mostly an issue with the olympic sports, then why not invite them for football only?

Because that would give us 11 schools, lol, and football only membership isn't something a power five conference should be doing.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30003 on: August 28, 2017, 11:09:09 AM »

Nobody cares about them being jesus-y.  If anything, that is what gives them their giant footprint and thus is part of the appeal

them being a Mormon University is 100% the reason they will never be in the P12

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30004 on: August 28, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »

Sunday play is obviously a far bigger determinant than the particular religion being practiced

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30005 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »

Sunday play is obviously a far bigger determinant than the particular religion being practiced

even if they gave up no play on Sunday, the P12 still would not ever add them because they are Mormon.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30006 on: August 28, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »

even if they gave up no play on Sunday, the P12 still would not ever add them because they are Mormon.

I know I've said this to you before but there can be no way possible that you believe that. This seems like one of those times that one believes his personal beliefs matches everyone else's, that's an absurd take.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30007 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
I would love to see Cal-Berkeley and Stanford's university president's reaction at a vote to let BYU in, or what would happen at a California Regents meeting.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30008 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
I would love to see Cal-Berkeley and Stanford's university president's reaction at a vote to let BYU in, or what would happen at a California Regents meeting.

What's the implication here? Liberals don't believe in religious freedom?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30009 on: August 28, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »

that isn't what i'm trying to implicate, what i'm saying is I would be in absolute shock if the California Schools would ever vote to be in the same conference with a Mormon University.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30010 on: August 28, 2017, 01:09:57 PM »
Those same California schools seem to have no trouble scheduling BYU in non-con. They've played 12 games (not counting bowl games) against the P10-P12 since 2010.

Obviously different than voting for conference membership, but shows that they have a record of doing business with them for awhile. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30011 on: August 28, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »

I have a hard time believing Cal, Stanford, & UCLA would vote in the same organization that bank-rolled the Prop8 campaign.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:20:18 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30012 on: August 28, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »
Those same California schools seem to have no trouble scheduling BYU in non-con. They've played 12 games (not counting bowl games) against the P10-P12 since 2010.

Obviously different than voting for conference membership, but shows that they have a record of doing business with them for awhile.

i've been wrong before, i'll be wrong again, but i seem to recall any time the idea of BYU to the Pac gets brought up, the religious affiliation is quickly brought up as the reason why they will not ever be added to the Pac.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30013 on: August 28, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »

i've been wrong before, i'll be wrong again, but i seem to recall any time the idea of BYU to the Pac gets brought up, the religious affiliation is quickly brought up as the reason why they will not ever be added to the Pac.

I don't disagree.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30014 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »

I don't know what the PAC wants or doesn't want. But you're right, it gets brought up often....by posters who really don't know any more than the next poster. Speculation gets repeated enough it becomes gospel. You see it a lot w/ realignment discussions. It's almost comical how people act like they actually know crap.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30015 on: August 28, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »

I don't disagree.

Yeah, my fault. You guys and hamburglar are absolutely correct. I was thinking about sports and religion, I completely disregarded the political implications and I shouldn't have done that. BYU's views on homosexuality became a talking point for the Big 12 it certainly will be one for the Pac 12. While we're discussing it, it's going to be a little difficult for the Pac 12 and Big 12 to merge or have a scheduling agreement given the California schools won't/can't travel to Texas and Kansas.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30016 on: August 28, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »

I don't disagree.

Yeah, my fault. You guys and hamburglar are absolutely correct. I was thinking about sports and religion, I completely disregarded the political implications and I shouldn't have done that. BYU's views on homosexuality became a talking point for the Big 12 it certainly will be one for the Pac 12. While we're discussing it, it's going to be a little difficult for the Pac 12 and Big 12 to merge or have a scheduling agreement given the California schools won't/can't travel to Texas and Kansas.

So  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30017 on: August 28, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »

I don't disagree.

I don't think the scheduling thing is ever going to happen in football. The way i could see it happening is if the Big 12 expanded to 12, stayed with the old 8 game conference schedule, and then there was a "Big 12/Pac-12 Challenge" for the 10th P5 game replacing the old 9th conference game. Also, it could be done, UCLA and Cal would just only have away games at the other non-TX/KS schools. USC and Stanford are private and can play where ever they want.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30018 on: August 28, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »

I don't disagree.

I don't think the scheduling thing is ever going to happen in football. The way i could see it happening is if the Big 12 expanded to 12, stayed with the old 8 game conference schedule, and then there was a "Big 12/Pac-12 Challenge" for the 10th P5 game replacing the old 9th conference game. Also, it could be done, UCLA and Cal would just only have away games at the other non-TX/KS schools. USC and Stanford are private and can play where ever they want.

Having restrictions on access to Texas Football and Kansas Basketball makes a scheduling agreement tenuous at best and a merger impossible. Let's just hope that Greg Abbott is long gone and his policies rolled back in the next 7 years.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30019 on: August 28, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »
The Pac-12 is my least desirable conference, so I hope the Big 12 just survives as a power conference and we don't have to merge or pray for a life raft to the Pac

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30020 on: September 20, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »
Boren announcing his retirement today.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30021 on: September 20, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/910492869642772480

This conference continues to be a joke  :flush:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30022 on: September 20, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
 :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30023 on: September 20, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
omg  :lol:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30024 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Meh, we've had at least a couple noon kicks in the past.