Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066047 times)

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13925 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
As far a Tier 3 tv rights go... let UT keep the LHN. Also, let them have conference games on the LHN as long as the broadcast rights are not exclusive to LHN for that event. Example, LHN and KStateHD.tv are allowed to simulcast any event not broadcast as tier 1 or tier 2. Currie needs to push this. This would encourage all the other schools to take a stake in developing their own network and having necessary equipment on site. If they would, the conference could leverage a Big 12 network where tier 3 revenue was solely driven by demand on the internet and revenue shared for cable broadcasts.

Let's say Baylor at K-State doesn't make the Tier 1  or 2 tv slots. It then falls to the Big12 network, where local cable affiliates televise the Big12 network game featuring Big12 commentators, and all revenue from this is shared equally. At the same time the BU Vs. KSU game is on tv in some areas, the individual schools are allowed to broadcast the video feed w/ their schools commentators online. So in this case K-StateHD.tv and SicEmBearsHD.tv both show the game online. This revenue goes directly to the school, so K-State's subscriber dollars go directly to K-State.

Big 12 schools need to develop "apps" for devices like Apple TV for their internet broadcasts.

catzacker

« Reply #13926 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
Why don't we just kick Texas out?  Sure we will lose some money on the TV deal, but wouldn't that be better than every year worrying what is going to happen.  We have 8 schools and Texas, it is time to make them do what we want.  8 schools shouldn't be the bitch for one school.  

gopowercat.com

Nah, he's right. Texas is going to submarine this conference one way or another if they don't check themselves, so we really have nothing to lose in telling them to eff off. We have these options:

1. Peace out to the Big East
2. Stay in the Big 12, capitulate to Texas and watch this thing burn sometime within the next 5 years when Missouri or OU packs up and heads to the SEC
3. Tell Texas to shape up or ship out, which either gets us what we want or puts us back at #1 anyway.

As long as the Big 12 doesn’t create an equal environment (both in how its members are treated and in relation to other conferences) we are merely kicking the can down the road.   If UT wants the LHN, then let them have it on their own.  OU and MU can go to the SEC or wherever and watch the state of Texas just absolutely get raided.  “hey, recruits, come play for texas and we can play for a….well, you can play for the team in…well, come play for us, we’re texas, we play rice and Tulsa and smu and texas tech and ND on thanksgiving”….that line of thinking has made ND into a POWERHOUSE....right?  Granted, ND isn’t sitting in quite the hotbed of recruiting.  Texas would then be responsible for dissolving “Texas Football” (the state of, not university).  It’s now or never.    

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »
Ok CNS, I see your point. Still gonna melt down though :emawkid:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: September 21, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
gregwrubell Greg Wrubell
by LandThieves
B12 bosses to meet: espn.go.com/college-sports… "Expansion will be on the table...the three likely candidates: BYU, Louisville and West Virginia."

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: September 21, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
As far a Tier 3 tv rights go... let UT keep the LHN. Also, let them have conference games on the LHN as long as the broadcast rights are not exclusive to LHN for that event. Example, LHN and KStateHD.tv are allowed to simulcast any event not broadcast as tier 1 or tier 2. Currie needs to push this. This would encourage all the other schools to take a stake in developing their own network and having necessary equipment on site. If they would, the conference could leverage a Big 12 network where tier 3 revenue was solely driven by demand on the internet and revenue shared for cable broadcasts.

Let's say Baylor at K-State doesn't make the Tier 1  or 2 tv slots. It then falls to the Big12 network, where local cable affiliates televise the Big12 network game featuring Big12 commentators, and all revenue from this is shared equally. At the same time the BU Vs. KSU game is on tv in some areas, the individual schools are allowed to broadcast the video feed w/ their schools commentators online. So in this case K-StateHD.tv and SicEmBearsHD.tv both show the game online. This revenue goes directly to the school, so K-State's subscriber dollars go directly to K-State.

Big 12 schools need to develop "apps" for devices like Apple TV for their internet broadcasts.

not sure I understand all of this, but I like it

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: September 21, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
Feels stupid having nearly 560 pages just for Colorado/Nubb/A&M leaving...

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: September 21, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
gregwrubell Greg Wrubell
by LandThieves
B12 bosses to meet: espn.go.com/college-sports… "Expansion will be on the table...the three likely candidates: BYU, Louisville and West Virginia."

Thank god, the more BCS level "not a whole lot of other option" teams we have in our conference the better for us

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: September 21, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/
Just saw this.  Did not look to see if already posted.

427,000  :facepalm:

The same thing basically said that Rutgers owns the college sports market in NYC . . . you believe that?  Rutgers??  

Those numbers don't include too many variables to mention. Merchandise and Licensing sales is probably a more accurate or decent additional way to determine College market size than the metrics the NYT used in that article. Here are the 2009 #'s

http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Rankings+Annual+2009

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: September 21, 2011, 12:54:56 PM »
610SportsKC 610 Sports Radio- KC
by JHolihan
According to a CBS Sports report: Big 12 presidents to ask Dan Beebe for his resignation. Will you miss him?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: September 21, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »
gregwrubell Greg Wrubell
by LandThieves

Thank god, the more BCS level "not a whole lot of other option" teams we have in our conference the better for us

I say all three.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13935 on: September 21, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
gregwrubell Greg Wrubell
by LandThieves

Best case scenario in my opinion: If Mizzou stays, add all three to get back to 12. If Mizzou leaves, add BYU and West Virginia to get to 10.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: September 21, 2011, 12:57:51 PM »
who will calm the waters of the Big 12!?!?!
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13938 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »
by JHolihan
According to a CBS Sports report: Big 12 presidents to ask Dan Beebe for his resignation. Will you miss him?

Would love for the big 10 conference to hire him in some capacity so he can go eff with the Nubbs some more  :crossfingers:

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13939 on: September 21, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
UT wouldn't say this if it weren't pretty secure.  No reason to.

Well, we're definitely gonna be at this again. Could be today, a week, a month, a year, 5 years from now. But OU's gonna revolt over this and scratch and claw to get to the SEC. They'll cut T-Boone off at the knees if they have to.

eff this crap, let's just go merge with the Big East. It's more or less inevitable anyway.

Texas is going to be Texas.  ESPN made a deal with the devil, and this is what happened.

It would appear that the LHN is the one thing Texas is unwilling to give up, and it's the one thing no other conference will accept.  With MU holding a power position at this point, there is a chance that they can rally the rest of the schools into an 8-1 voting block against Texas.  If they want to keep the LHN, they will do it on our rules.  You can pretty much enact anything you want at this point because UT doesn't want to go indy, and they don't have anywhere else to go.

The LHN will be scaled down, considerably.  Allowing members their third-tier rights keeps us attractive to schools like BYU and Notre Dame (should that time ever come).

As long as the LHN is toned down, and we share all other revenues equally, I'm okay.  Would I like a Big 12 Network?  Yeah.  Will we ever get one?  Probably not, unless the other schools want to start something similar to the Pac-12 network with regional channels.

UT actually made the deal with the devil with ESPN. The best way to handle the LHN is to put strict parameters around it that keep it in compliance with NCAA and more importantly make it so that it won't give the appearance of some kind of huge advantage to UT. That along with enormously high exit fees and a longterm commitment from all the schools to insure stability will effectively box in the potential of the network. If that is done properly the LHN will be a regional entity and most likely a financial sinkhole for ESPN.

When the LHN fails due to lack of anything but niche regional programming, ESPN will have 2 options. Take a total loss on their investment or convert the LHN into a Big 12 network.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13940 on: September 21, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
by JHolihan

Yes. :cry:

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13941 on: September 21, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
gregwrubell Greg Wrubell
by LandThieves

I say all three.

If we went back to twelve would we still stick with North/South?  What teams in each?   Or would we try something like East/West?

Offline Catpack of 1

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13942 on: September 21, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »

I agree with this.  Any game not televised, I would at least like the option to watch on the internet.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13943 on: September 21, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »
Why don't we just kick Texas out?  Sure we will lose some money on the TV deal, but wouldn't that be better than every year worrying what is going to happen.  We have 8 schools and Texas, it is time to make them do what we want.  8 schools shouldn't be the bitch for one school.  

gopowercat.com

Nah, he's right. Texas is going to submarine this conference one way or another if they don't check themselves, so we really have nothing to lose in telling them to eff off. We have these options:

1. Peace out to the Big East
2. Stay in the Big 12, capitulate to Texas and watch this thing burn sometime within the next 5 years when Missouri or OU packs up and heads to the SEC
3. Tell Texas to shape up or ship out, which either gets us what we want or puts us back at #1 anyway.

This is stupid.  Look, it's like being married to a chick w/ lots of family money who is waaay too hot for you.  You know it is eventually going to end up with her banging someone much better than you and then leaving you and taking her money with her.  Knowing that, you still stick around and bang the hot chick while spending her money.  In the mean time, you just work out as much as you can so you can either turn into something that keeps her attention or you become something that another decent looking woman would want.

Ride the ride, bro.

I can see the merits of this argument for the sake of the west side expansion, but that's assuming this crap actually stays in tact for another 4-5 years, which I have no faith in. This situation is going to be completely unstable as long as Texas does their thing, and our donors know this. I'm hesitant to think that just "riding the ride" will actually help us.

Riding the ride may not help us, but it will buy us time to either better protect ourselves or do whatevs we can to build up our position for the next go round.  Losing it all now is the worst case scenario.

Texas knows, OU knows, everyone knows that Texas isn't moving conferences and keeping the LHN.  Everyone knows they don't want to go independent.  The Big12 has prime leverage, Texas either reforms or is left on the outside.  We won't be able to get them to torpedo the network but probably to make enough concessions to make it not such an advantage for them.  Plus I would rather get rid of them now and go to $12 million/year tv deal than keep them one year, get mumped into going to the MWC next year and get $1.2 million/year.  That is the difference you are looking at.  As long as nothing changes, year to year we will be in danger of droping to a conference that pays us $1.2 million.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13944 on: September 21, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
gregwrubell Greg Wrubell
by LandThieves

I say all three.

If we went back to twelve would we still stick with North/South?  What teams in each?   Or would we try something like East/West?

North

Kansas State
Kansas
Missouri
Iowa State
Louisville
West Virginia

South

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
BYU

:dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13945 on: September 21, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »
If leaves, then the instability is back in full force.  Then OU/OSU leave, and MU leaves, then it is a smash grab of other conferences looting our conf and we are back to worrying if we are more appealing to someone than Baylor or ISU. 

B12 doesn't exist without texas.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13946 on: September 21, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
I hate feeling like a bad guy for our eventual raiding of the Big East.

Sorry Big East.   I feel for ya, I really do.  :cry:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13947 on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »
Do we really have a chance of keeping Mizzou and get the couch burners?.  I would think the SEC would reevaluate their stance on the couch burners if Mizzou says no.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13948 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »
If leaves, then the instability is back in full force.  Then OU/OSU leave, and MU leaves, then it is a smash grab of other conferences looting our conf and we are back to worrying if we are more appealing to someone than Baylor or ISU. 

disagree

If UT leaves OU and OSU have no reason to leave if they are clear anchors.  Merge with Big East and rebuild numbers with greater stability.  OU is running on jealousy not ambition.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13949 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »

disagree

If UT leaves OU and OSU have no reason to leave if they are clear anchors.  Merge with Big East and rebuild numbers with greater stability.  OU is running on jealousy not ambition.

OU is running on money.  If TX leaves, they prob could find higher profits elsewhere in a league that isn't stranded on death row(i know, right).