Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067530 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13900 on: September 21, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
UT wouldn't say this if it weren't pretty secure.  No reason to.

Well, we're definitely gonna be at this again. Could be today, a week, a month, a year, 5 years from now. But OU's gonna revolt over this and scratch and claw to get to the SEC. They'll cut T-Boone off at the knees if they have to.

eff this crap, let's just go merge with the Big East. It's more or less inevitable anyway.

Texas is going to be Texas.  ESPN made a deal with the devil, and this is what happened.

It would appear that the LHN is the one thing Texas is unwilling to give up, and it's the one thing no other conference will accept.  With MU holding a power position at this point, there is a chance that they can rally the rest of the schools into an 8-1 voting block against Texas.  If they want to keep the LHN, they will do it on our rules.  You can pretty much enact anything you want at this point because UT doesn't want to go indy, and they don't have anywhere else to go.

The LHN will be scaled down, considerably.  Allowing members their third-tier rights keeps us attractive to schools like BYU and Notre Dame (should that time ever come).

As long as the LHN is toned down, and we share all other revenues equally, I'm okay.  Would I like a Big 12 Network?  Yeah.  Will we ever get one?  Probably not, unless the other schools want to start something similar to the Pac-12 network with regional channels.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13901 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
I think the SEC wants to give back the collies but I think it might have difficulty in doing so

They already gave themselves a perfect out to not accept A&M. Not every Big 12 school waived their right to sue, so the SEC could easily just tell A&M that they are not going to be admitted.

The only hold up not signing the waiver of rights was the impending doom of the big 12.  A&M can now get those schools to sign the waiver. The SEC already voted them in with the condition of a waiver(at least thats what has been reported) if the waiver is granted the SEC is stuck with A&M.  The SEC is now at the point where if the Big 12 wants to bring A&M back into the fold or sign the waiver and send them packing at which the SEC even if they dont want to has to take them.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13902 on: September 21, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »
UT wouldn't say this if it weren't pretty secure.  No reason to.

Well, we're definitely gonna be at this again. Could be today, a week, a month, a year, 5 years from now. But OU's gonna revolt over this and scratch and claw to get to the SEC. They'll cut T-Boone off at the knees if they have to.

eff this crap, let's just go merge with the Big East. It's more or less inevitable anyway.

Texas is going to be Texas.  ESPN made a deal with the devil, and this is what happened.

It would appear that the LHN is the one thing Texas is unwilling to give up, and it's the one thing no other conference will accept.  With MU holding a power position at this point, there is a chance that they can rally the rest of the schools into an 8-1 voting block against Texas.  If they want to keep the LHN, they will do it on our rules.  You can pretty much enact anything you want at this point because UT doesn't want to go indy, and they don't have anywhere else to go.

The LHN will be scaled down, considerably.  Allowing members their third-tier rights keeps us attractive to schools like BYU and Notre Dame (should that time ever come).

As long as the LHN is toned down, and we share all other revenues equally, I'm okay.  Would I like a Big 12 Network?  Yeah.  Will we ever get one?  Probably not, unless the other schools want to start something similar to the Pac-12 network with regional channels.

Given the statements the UT brass has made today, I'm starting to think they'd rather go indy than give anything up. Anything. That includes Beebe.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13903 on: September 21, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »
Every time OU claims publicly that all they want is an equal distribution of revenue replace that with "all we want is to get a piece of what Texas has". This isn't about OU fighting to rein in Texas for the benefit of the conference, rather its fighting to remake the laws so as to benefit their University. If anything, all this has done is solidify the fact that its the OU and Texas show.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13904 on: September 21, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
I think the SEC wants to give back the collies but I think it might have difficulty in doing so

They already gave themselves a perfect out to not accept A&M. Not every Big 12 school waived their right to sue, so the SEC could easily just tell A&M that they are not going to be admitted.

The only hold up not signing the waiver of rights was the impending doom of the big 12.  A&M can now get those schools to sign the waiver. The SEC already voted them in with the condition of a waiver(at least thats what has been reported) if the waiver is granted the SEC is stuck with A&M.  The SEC is now at the point where if the Big 12 wants to bring A&M back into the fold or sign the waiver and send them packing at which the SEC even if they dont want to has to take them.

Incorrect.  Until we are whole at ten, and Fox says that we will keep the entire dollar amount of the proposed deal, no one should sign anything.

If we lose any money in this deal, A&M and the SEC should be sued for the remaining amount.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13905 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Every time OU claims publicly that all they want is an equal distribution of revenue replace that with "all we want is to get a piece of what Texas has". This isn't about OU fighting to rein in Texas for the benefit of the conference, rather its fighting to remake the laws so as to benefit their University. If anything, all this has done is solidify the fact that its the OU and Texas show.

Missouri is a part of this now.  If they can flee to the SEC at any time, there may be some power there as well.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
Given the statements the UT brass has made today, I'm starting to think they'd rather go indy than give anything up. Anything. That includes Beebe.

Other than Dodds' tweets, has there been something more?  I just haven't dug into it.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: September 21, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

While OU's guiding interest is not to benefit KSU and the other Big12 members, their actions do benefit us.  
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13908 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »
Why don't we just kick Texas out?  Sure we will lose some money on the TV deal, but wouldn't that be better than every year worrying what is going to happen.  We have 8 schools and Texas, it is time to make them do what we want.  8 schools shouldn't be the bitch for one school. 

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Why don't we just kick Texas out?  Sure we will lose some money on the TV deal, but wouldn't that be better than every year worrying what is going to happen.  We have 8 schools and Texas, it is time to make them do what we want.  8 schools shouldn't be the bitch for one school. 

gopowercat.com

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13910 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »

Incorrect.  Until we are whole at ten, and Fox says that we will keep the entire dollar amount of the proposed deal, no one should sign anything.

If we lose any money in this deal, A&M and the SEC should be sued for the remaining amount.

agreed.

I also don't understand why UT won't just allow the conference to take over the LHN and make it the Big XII network (tier 3)? say we don't share tier 3 revenue equally, wouldn't it be just as profitable to them, and everyone would be fairly happy with that decision. (assuming we share tier 1 and 2 rights equally)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13911 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »

Other than Dodds' tweets, has there been something more?  I just haven't dug into it.

Technically, they aren't even Dodds' tweets, just some super white texas reporter's

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: September 21, 2011, 12:34:45 PM »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »

gopowercat.com

Nah, he's right. Texas is going to submarine this conference one way or another if they don't check themselves, so we really have nothing to lose in telling them to eff off. We have these options:

1. Peace out to the Big East
2. Stay in the Big 12, capitulate to Texas and watch this thing burn sometime within the next 5 years when Missouri or OU packs up and heads to the SEC
3. Tell Texas to shape up or ship out, which either gets us what we want or puts us back at #1 anyway.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13914 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »

gopowercat.com

I was going to make this point but stopped short

Let OU be a center of gravity in the south and the rest of the conference absorb the Big East.  That conference would stable because we would all be too gun shy to do anything.  It would be like a conference of battered wives.  

Stability > marginally larger pay check which may or may not come every year
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Why don't we just kick Texas out?  Sure we will lose some money on the TV deal, but wouldn't that be better than every year worrying what is going to happen.  We have 8 schools and Texas, it is time to make them do what we want.  8 schools shouldn't be the bitch for one school.  

gopowercat.com

Nah, he's right. Texas is going to submarine this conference one way or another if they don't check themselves, so we really have nothing to lose in telling them to eff off. We have these options:

2. Stay in the Big 12, capitulate to Texas and watch this thing burn sometime within the next 5 years when Missouri or OU packs up and heads to the SEC
3. Tell Texas to shape up or ship out, which either gets us what we want or puts us back at #1 anyway.

This is stupid.  Look, it's like being married to a chick w/ lots of family money who is waaay too hot for you.  You know it is eventually going to end up with her banging someone much better than you and then leaving you and taking her money with her.  Knowing that, you still stick around and bang the hot chick while spending her money.  In the mean time, you just work out as much as you can so you can either turn into something that keeps her attention or you become something that another decent looking woman would want.

Ride the ride, bro.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13916 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
Hopefully the NBAF crap gets done and up/running in the next 5yrs.  Need to strengthen our position going forward.

Oh man, can you imagine?  If our population explodes to over 100,000 (it won't, no matter what the herda haddas on the Mercury website say), it will be fantastic watching the phog threads try to reconcile how that doesn't matter, how they are merely transplants who shouldn't matter to a TV market, etc.

:bwpopcorn:

I just hope the NBAF pumps enough research money into various departments on campus to get us into the AAU club before the next round of Armageddon. I want KU type options, imagined or not. The PAC12 jet can actually land and take off at MHK.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »
how much would the batter wives conference lose?

Gain Dallas/FTW with TCU
East coast with remaining Big East
Ohio valley with remaining Big East

Conference stability which we could leverage into a better TV deal
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13919 on: September 21, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »

Gain Dallas/FTW with TCU

we would get none of dallas/ftw with tcu

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13920 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/
Just saw this.  Did not look to see if already posted.

427,000  :facepalm:

The same thing basically said that Rutgers owns the college sports market in NYC . . . you believe that?  Rutgers??  

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
Why don't we just kick Texas out?  Sure we will lose some money on the TV deal, but wouldn't that be better than every year worrying what is going to happen.  We have 8 schools and Texas, it is time to make them do what we want.  8 schools shouldn't be the bitch for one school.  

gopowercat.com

This is stupid.  Look, it's like being married to a chick w/ lots of family money who is waaay too hot for you.  You know it is eventually going to end up with her banging someone much better than you and then leaving you and taking her money with her.  Knowing that, you still stick around and bang the hot chick while spending her money.  In the mean time, you just work out as much as you can so you can either turn into something that keeps her attention or you become something that another decent looking woman would want.

Ride the ride, bro.

I can see the merits of this argument for the sake of the west side expansion, but that's assuming this crap actually stays in tact for another 4-5 years, which I have no faith in. This situation is going to be completely unstable as long as Texas does their thing, and our donors know this. I'm hesitant to think that just "riding the ride" will actually help us.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13922 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

Gain Dallas/FTW with TCU

we would get none of dallas/ftw with tcu
dumb

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/
Just saw this.  Did not look to see if already posted.

427,000  :facepalm:

The same thing basically said that Rutgers owns the college sports market in NYC . . . you believe that?  Rutgers??  

seems plausible, especially since no one in NYC knows what college football is.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: September 21, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »

gopowercat.com

Ride the ride, bro.

I can see the merits of this argument for the sake of the west side expansion, but that's assuming this crap actually stays in tact for another 4-5 years, which I have no faith in. This situation is going to be completely unstable as long as Texas does their thing, and our donors know this. I'm hesitant to think that just "riding the ride" will actually help us.

Riding the ride may not help us, but it will buy us time to either better protect ourselves or do whatevs we can to build up our position for the next go round.  Losing it all now is the worst case scenario.