Author Topic: why did kruger leave k-state?  (Read 35518 times)

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Re: why did kruger leave k-state?
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »
Years ago I wrote out a comparison of KU and KSU basketball history on the eve of the two teams' 1988 Elite Eight game. They were very comparable, with KSU having the edge in certain areas like #1 rankings and NCAA appearances (IIRC). Fatty used that post as his signature for a while...

But, my god, when KU has Roy Williams as coach and KSU has Asbury and Wooldridge as coaches, your programs are going to go in opposite directions. Fast.

(On the eve of the 1988 Elite Eight game, KSU vs. KU)- - -[NCAA Appearances: KSU (18) - KU (18)]- - -[Sweet 16: KSU (16) - KU (13)]- - -[Elite 8: KSU (11) - KU (11)]- - -[Final 4: KSU (4) - KU (6)]- - -[Nat'l Champ: KSU (0) - KU (1)]- - -[Weeks Ranked #1: KSU (8) - KU (9)]- - -[Weeks in Top 5: KSU (62) - KU (49)]- - -[Weeks in Top 10: KSU (89) - KU (139)]- - -[Final Top 10: KSU (7) - KU (10)]- - -[Final #1: KSU (1) - KU (0)]- - -[Big 8 Champs: KSU (10) - KU (8)]- - -[Big 7 Champs: KSU (5) - KU (5)]- - -[KSU vs KU (Big 8): 39-37]- - -[KSU vs KU (Big 7): 13-15]- -

Seeing all that is still infuriating

Larry teaching KU how to bagman is what killed us. Was Hartman a clean coach, I am under the impression he was.

Heard that Jack and Tex had their ways to get players. To bad went couldn't stay in that coaching tree. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:47 PM »
I just want to know why we haven't claimed the national title we ended the year ranked #1

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »
The reason Lon left is because we put all of our eggs in the football basket. Lon felt he wasn't getting the money/support he needed to maintain or push the program to the next level. Im pretty close with the entire Kruger bunch and this was mentioned multiple times by Lon over the years.

And to whoever mentioned Rettiger: I was in AFH for the 1989 game where Henson went crazy bombing threes (Kevin Pritchard also had a play where he drove the lane and slammed in the face of er'ybody. Henson let him go at the free throw line and as the crowd went nuts, Cats pushed the ball on two passes to Henson who drained about a 27 footer to take back the lead).

Oh yea, Rettiige.. That idiot, late in the game received a beautiful no look from Henson and instead of slamming, he clanged it off the back rim. Alonzo whathisname, got the outlet and slammed it to push the lead to three. End of game.

I dislike Rettiger for that 15 seconds that ruined my day.

Was a great game tho.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
One must not forget that Eddie Sutton begged for the K-State job after Kruger left, and that K-State all but had Tubby Smith signed, but he had a last second change of mind.

We had him. But they were afraid he was a "risk". Such pussies in the administration. Of course he was a risk. A risk to get drunk after winning a conference title, a game, a regional final. Yea.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
great info william the wildcat.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Why did Lon Kruger leave KSU??

Because we are Kansas State basketball and we don't get to have nice things very long.

#thread

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »
Kansasooner told me that he thought Kruger talks like he's had a stroke.

Do you agree?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
Kansasooner told me that he thought Kruger talks like he's had a stroke.

Do you agree?

he has a lisp.  he talks like he just got dentures.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
Did Lon leave K-State because he had a stroke and everyone thought it was just a lisp?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »
cleft pallet

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
Chum just blew my mind

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2015, 05:08:57 AM »
williamthewildcat,

What was the deal with Isaiah Rider and Altman?  Wasn't that part of the reason Dana got hired?  There's a story there.

Also, speaking of Henson bombing threes, I still remember vividly the 1998 game in Kemper where Henson drained about a 30 footer from mid court because he was feelin it in route to our twenty point beat down if the Hawks in the Big 8 tourney.  God, I loved Henson and Richmond.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:22:59 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
While I certainly agree that Lon was non-to-pleased with all kinds of funds being channeled towards football . . . the fact that he and Steve Miller didn't get along was also a huge factor in his leaving K-State.   The story I had always heard was that Lon was just going to try and used Florida as leverage for money at K-State, but that Miller told the media that Kruger was gone.   I still remember a TV interview with Kruger right when it all went down and he was not very happy for a guy who just took a job for more money at Florida.

It all changed when KU hired Larry Brown and brought the "Carolina Way" with the bag men, and the agents.   Hartman used assistant coaching hires to develop pipelines and of course I'm sure there were other little minor shenanigans going on at K-State, but it was no match for ku whose entire history of the "godfathers" was only put on steroids once Brown was hired.   Both Self and Calipari were assistants under Brown at ku.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
While I certainly agree that Lon was non-to-pleased with all kinds of funds being channeled towards football . . . the fact that he and Steve Miller didn't get along was also a huge factor in his leaving K-State.   The story I had always heard was that Lon was just going to try and used Florida as leverage for money at K-State, but that Miller told the media that Kruger was gone.   I still remember a TV interview with Kruger right when it all went down and he was not very happy for a guy who just took a job for more money at Florida.

It all changed when KU hired Larry Brown and brought the "Carolina Way" with the bag men, and the agents.   Hartman used assistant coaching hires to develop pipelines and of course I'm sure there were other little minor shenanigans going on at K-State, but it was no match for ku whose entire history of the "godfathers" was only put on steroids once Brown was hired.   Both Self and Calipari were assistants under Brown at ku.

I'm interested in hearing more about KU's unsavory pursuits.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »

You can see through Self, Calipari and Brown how cheating has developed. They are on a completely different level. Jim Boeheim has his car dealership friend, Coach K is a classic money envelope guy. But Self and Calipari are out running this Agent - Handler - Recruit cash cycle.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
It's really not hard to pull off shenanigans and the only way you can be caught is if somebody snitches. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
I'm learning so much KSU history ITT.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »
You guys better hope beems doesn't see this thread

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »

It's @OregonSmock and I hope he comes in here and sets the record straight.   Lotta :jeffy: going on.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »

It's @OregonSmock and I hope he comes in here and sets the record straight.   Lotta :jeffy: going on.

Why do so many ku people fail to accept reality?   You should see all the dumbfounded, shellshocked "Carolina Way" people mumbling and sputtering their way through trying to explain why what happened at UNC wasn't really that bad.   If you really want to believe that Bill Self and Calipari and others land the talent they do simply because the kid is all motored up by the "tradition" and that fanbase boner giving pre-game intro video . . . knock yourself out.   Tons of schools have nice facilities and nice places to live. 

I'll readily admit agent-player shenanigans were in play for guys like Beasley and Bill Walker, and that the NCAA looked into it, but nobody would snitch.l

Self and his lil BFF developer buddy have a nice little gig going (amongst multiple facets of the operation) . . . enjoy it ku fans.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2015, 11:35:51 AM »

Why do so many ku people fail to accept reality?   You should see all the dumbfounded, shellshocked "Carolina Way" people mumbling and sputtering their way through trying to explain why what happened at UNC wasn't really that bad.   If you really want to believe that Bill Self and Calipari and others land the talent they do simply because the kid is all motored up by the "tradition" and that fanbase boner giving pre-game intro video . . . knock yourself out.   Tons of schools have nice facilities and nice places to live. 

I'll readily admit agent-player shenanigans were in play for guys like Beasley and Bill Walker, and that the NCAA looked into it, but nobody would snitch.l

Self and his lil BFF developer buddy have a nice little gig going (amongst multiple facets of the operation) . . . enjoy it ku fans.

It is the shear breadth of the apparent conspiracy that makes you sound paranoid.  I doubt Self himself has much knowledge of any shenanigans, much less is personally orchestrating it. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »

It is the shear breadth of the apparent conspiracy that makes you sound paranoid.  I doubt Self himself has much knowledge of any shenanigans, much less is personally orchestrating it.

Captain Obvious Scale (1 to 5):  4.5 Captain Obvious's

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »

Dude, the ticket deal with Pump N Run stank to high heaven but only a couple of AD flunkies took the fall  - you need to revel in it, not deny it

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »

Dude, the ticket deal with Pump N Run stank to high heaven but only a couple of AD flunkies took the fall  - you need to revel in it, not deny it

I'm really not here to defend all things KU, but what does employee theft and/or embezzlement have to do with this?  I can't wait to see the tenuous leap you make...