Author Topic: why did kruger leave k-state?  (Read 35506 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
why did kruger leave k-state?
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
i know nothing about ksu hoops history, but was wondering why kruger left ksu for florida back in the early 90s? four straight ncaa tourneys, an elite eight, and LHC Bill Snyder was just about to get things rolling in football.

ksu could have been been the dominant program (football & hoops) of the 90s had he stuck around.  :frown:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: why did kruger leave k-state?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
Great question. I'd love to know the same thing.

Can we make this the KSU hoops history master page where people can ask questions like this?

I'd love to know what the fan reaction was when both Asbury and Wooly were hired.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
Banging coeds

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
Banging coeds

Yeah. Cheerleader IIRC (at least the rumor).

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:27:39 PM »
Self got away with it

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »
if true, it's crazy that a single cheerleader changed the course of ksu hoops history. it's obvious that kruger is a top 20 coach in the country. is there another coach, active or otherwise, that has taken five different schools to the 2nd round of the ncaa tourney?

i don't think it's ever been done before.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »
I think Kruger leaving started the paranoia among fans about being able to get coaches who would stay. He was a K-State grad and if you couldn't keep him around, who would stay at K-State.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:34:14 PM »
I think Kruger leaving started the paranoia among fans about being able to get coaches who would stay. He was a K-State grad and if you couldn't keep him around, who would stay at K-State.

worse, florida was on probation when he arrived, and had exactly three all-time ncaa tourney appearances.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 09:40:08 PM »
i don't think it's ever been done before.

my quick fact checking reveals that kruger is the only coach to reach the ncaa tourney with five different schools.

the only active coach capable of pulling off the feat anytime soon? tubby smith!  :surprised:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »
if true, it's crazy that a single cheerleader changed the course of ksu hoops history.

it's not true, obviously.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
The word at the time amongst townies was that Florida offered him a shitload of money.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 09:42:38 PM »
if true, it's crazy that a single cheerleader changed the course of ksu hoops history.

why obviously? i already stated i know nothing about ksu hoops history, so would not be obvious to me.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
The word at the time amongst townies was that Florida offered him a shitload of money.

Kruger earns approximately $500,000 per season at Florida. The contract does not include a buyout. If Kruger leaves, however, he would have to reimburse Florida for loans he was granted upon his hiring. The loans are forgiven if Kruger fulfills his contract.

Henson, 64, was paid $350,000 this past season.

In recent seasons, Kruger has noted the lack of consistent support among Florida fans. Average home attendance dropped nearly 2,000 this past season to 7,896, down from 9,838 in 1994-95. But even in the Gators' first Final Four season in 1993-94, when they went 13-0 at home, average attendance was less than 10,000 at the 12,000-seat O'Connell Center.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:22 PM »

why obviously? i already stated i know nothing about ksu hoops history, so would not be obvious to me.

a)  because you're a rational human.  b)  didn't you used to be a reporter or something like that?  in theory, i believe reporters are supposed to research crap.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
a)  because you're a rational human.  b)  didn't you used to be a reporter or something like that?  in theory, i believe reporters are supposed to research crap.

in a previous life, i really hope i was aaron burr and you were alexander hamilton.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »

Kruger earns approximately $500,000 per season at Florida. The contract does not include a buyout. If Kruger leaves, however, he would have to reimburse Florida for loans he was granted upon his hiring. The loans are forgiven if Kruger fulfills his contract.

Henson, 64, was paid $350,000 this past season.

In recent seasons, Kruger has noted the lack of consistent support among Florida fans. Average home attendance dropped nearly 2,000 this past season to 7,896, down from 9,838 in 1994-95. But even in the Gators' first Final Four season in 1993-94, when they went 13-0 at home, average attendance was less than 10,000 at the 12,000-seat O'Connell Center.

Spurrier made $335,000 that year.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2011/4/8/2097990/why-are-coaching-salaries-rising

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
i guess the $ figure originally quoted was incorrect.

December 3, 1993

By Arden Moore, Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

FORT LAUDERDALE — The salary of University of Florida women's basketball coach Carol Ross has been increased from $46,600 to $80,000 to bring her closer in pay with men's coach Lon Kruger, who makes $126,000.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:01 PM »
Look at Lon's career. He moves around a lot and goes for the bucks. Texas made a big push the year before and he nearly left then.
There was a lot of cheerleader talk at the time, but look at him. Seems to be the go-to rumor for coaches and you heard the same whispers about  Larry Brown.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
Let's just clear the air about Larry Brown.  The rumors were true.   Bill Self's mentor and hero.

Insofar as Lon goes, it probably had more to do with Steve Miller who didn't like Lon and wanted a faster, uptempo game, so the natural choice was of course Dana Altman and Dana's 4 guys standing around while Ski fires a 3 offense and/or Anthony Beane drives and shoots a wild shot off the glass and everybody crash the boards offense.

Lon was talking to Florida and Steve Miller told the media that Lon had taken the job. 

That's what I remember.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 10:19:31 PM »
Contract details were not available, but Kruger's yearly package is expected to approach $400,000. His 5-year rollover contract at Kansas State paid Kruger $200,000.

Never heard the townies talking about this one:

Kruger, according to Kansas sources, was discontent at Kansas State, which lacks the attention of the neighboring Kansas Jayhawks.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-04-02/sports/9004023187_1_lon-kruger-kruger-leaves-kansas-state

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
why did kruger leave k-state?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 10:23:42 PM »
people loved asbury when max hired him.

pepperdine success in regular season and then there was the Michigan game
Doug Christie
usa basketball
"run and gun" west coast offense
lol my gosh

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 10:26:27 PM »
in a previous life, i really hope i was aaron burr and you were alexander hamilton.

did you see where i posted that i hoped you made a fortune on the kstate-tech game?  wow, that was so nice of me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 10:27:01 PM »
Pretty sure lon complained about how hard it was to recruit to Manhattan compared to Florida.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
Pretty sure lon complained about how hard it was to recruit to Manhattan compared to Florida.
Lon is also a lazy recruiter.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
Wooly's hire has to be viewed in the context of where we were. Wasn't Asbury an ncaa tourney coach just once here?
Wooldridge came from the Bulls, seemed young and less like an a-hole personally than terrible Tom. I don't remember anyone whooping and hollering with excitement but it seemed like a decent enough hire at the time.