Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371153 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/colorado/news/colorado-ranchers-patrick-esch-ed-dean-jager-sentenced-rain-gauges-tampering-federal-crop-subsidies-nws-fcic/

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
which season of Yellowstone was this?
Incidentally, one of the co-conspirators turned on the group and extorted Esch in particular. The unidentified male threatened to expose the entire enterprise to authorities in exchange for Esch paying the man's bond for release from jail and giving several five-figure payments to the man's girlfriend. Esch, according to his plea agreement, even shrugged off the man's admitted theft of an all-terrain vehicle from Esch in exchange for the man's silence.

In August of 2023, a month before Jager and Esch reached their plea agreements with prosecutors, this unidentified male co-conspirator escaped from prison. This triggered a nationwide manhunt and caused Esch and his family "to go into hiding," as stated in a court document. Two weeks after the escape, the co-conspirator was found dead.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
A couple own the 40 east of us (you can see our plowed terraces in background).  They have goats, chickens, and this llama.  All creatures great and small were out enjoying the weather yesterday.

Side note they tried to burn pasture their first year there, and it got away from them.  They burnt a brush pile a couple years back, and it got away, too.  Now they're using fire fighters whose side gig is burning pasture. We use them too and just burn it all at once.

Good folk, though. Two cute AF cattle dogs, and they have a sweet Cat skid steer.  Helped us clean up some  brush, and they've really improved the place.

Also had 2 stealth planes fly over.  Anytime military planes fly over the farm I immediately go into Wolverines movie mode and wonder if WWIII has started.  I guess we'd survive on chicken and goat milk til we got bombed or over run.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Those planes are so sweet.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
That Llama is great Tom
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do they shave that llama for the summer?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
neighbor let me borrow his ford 4000 tractor. want one now

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
neighbor let me borrow his ford 4000 tractor. want one now

I see no reason why you shouldnt

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
can't wait to see how mrs yla integrates it into the homestead

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

Did some light work with it last night. Thankfully didn’t have to push this sucker all the way to the charger again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sometimes our katz suck and you get angry but then you head up to hay bale hill and watch the sun set while you crush brews and blare tunes with your mutts.

Back in KC and already missing watching a sunset on hay bale hill.

I'm going to ask/offer to pay for my uncle to leave a couple bales on the hill this winter/next year so I can continue to sit on them and  blast music while watching sunsets.

Here is a picture looking back at all the hay bales (which are actually like alfalfa or some sort of silage)

Now I'm just LOL'n again at my dad thinking he could rent out our big barn for people to store hay bales in....like this is how close the barn (white roof) is to all the hay bales but my uncle just leaves them outside on the hill.

My dad's dream has finally come true, he is storing some feed bales in our giant barn after talking about it for 5+ years.

We had a failed milo crop this year that my dad had baled and he is finally getting around to having it moved into the barn.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I asked him what he planned to do with them and he said sell them

ben ji "To who"
dad "people will pay good money for them when there is a drought"
ben ji "You don't have the equipment to move them so they will have to pick them up?"
dad "Yes, or I might save them for when I get my own herd"

These bale's are going to be in the barn for the next 20 years IMO

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Hay bales are a big fire hazard if the moisture in them isn’t right. He should leave them outside.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
How much is hay bale insurance
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
How much is hay bale insurance

"It's free!"

the government

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hay bales are a big fire hazard if the moisture in them isn’t right. He should leave them outside.

They have been outside for like 3-4 months so I assume they are fully dried but who knows.

His dreams are finally coming true

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile

Benji's dad knows this I bet. He's trying to burn the whole farm down and will collect sweet insurance money so he and Mrs Benji's mom can live out their days on cruise ships and not have to worry about their bastard kid messing around with his stuff in the barn.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
LOL   :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Benji's dad knows this I bet. He's trying to burn the whole farm down and will collect sweet insurance money so he and Mrs Benji's mom can live out their days on cruise ships and not have to worry about their bastard kid messing around with his stuff in the barn.
Top tier post here

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
We're awfully proud of the LED lights.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ben ji's dad finally got around to checking the game cam he set up in the garage next to the automatic cat feeders after being gone for 2 months.

"5 cats for sure.  1 skunk, 2 raccoons.  I lowered South garage door, check camera in am.  Also have 2 live traps with corn bait."

(There is a very scientific method for how high the garage doors can be cracked to allow cats to enter and it involves sticking your foot at the bottom and wiggling it... so basically a foot width will allow the cats to enter but hopefully keep out the yotes)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also he was super concerned about coons/skunks/possums stealing the cat food so he bought a couple of metal traps from China.....

First night he sets one up and baits it with dry spaghetti noodles because "the kitty's won't like that but the coons probably will"

Two hours later he cracks the blinds at the house, sees something in the trap...busts out his binoculars and says "I think we got a coon!" We go outside to the garage to find this

Hopefully he doesn't catch another cat in his corn trap.

In the top right of the photo you can also see the very scientific height that the south garage door should be cracked in order to allow cats access to the garage.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Ben ji's dad finally got around to checking the game cam he set up in the garage next to the automatic cat feeders after being gone for 2 months.

"5 cats for sure.  1 skunk, 2 raccoons.  I lowered South garage door, check camera in am.  Also have 2 live traps with corn bait."

(There is a very scientific method for how high the garage doors can be cracked to allow cats to enter and it involves sticking your foot at the bottom and wiggling it... so basically a foot width will allow the cats to enter but hopefully keep out the yotes)
lmao

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Put down some gravel! Sheesh.
Lol, i have a story about my brother and I's naive ideas about how to fill these ruts. Gonna have to wait until sunlight tomorrow to show our futility.
Following up on this. Im guessing the last time the roads inside the cat ranch had rock dumped on them was around 1990.

There was a "road" by the corral that was used to dump feed to the cows but is no longer in use. Still a ton of stone/rocks out there and part of our golf course.

My brother and I decided to be productive and collect a bunch of those rocks by hand, fill up a large cattle feed container and dump them on the road to fix the ruts, good idea huh?!?

Spent about 45 minutes picking up rocks by hand to fill the container and dumped it in a large rut.

Results were not what we were expecting
If I remember, the cat ranch is in far NW KS.  If so, your closest source for decent crushed gravel is probably going to be Eastern Colorado (Holly).  Good news is that this is crushed river gravel and very durable.  Bad news is freight costs are going to suck.  I think there are some sand sources around the area, but it won't be crushed material and won't stabilize the road for crap.  If someone has some crushed concrete around the area, that could be an option as well.  However, just know that there will still be some pieces of steel in the material and you will need to cover it with an inch or two of some other material to help eliminate flat tires.  I have it on my driveway and I covered it with crushed asphalt.  We still find a few small pieces of wire from time to time that we pick up and throw away.

The aggregate source info is from my experience many years ago travelling around the state making and laying asphalt for highway projects.  There may be a new source or two that have popped up since then that I'm not aware of.  If you can find a material source and you have access to a skidloader, you could probably heal up the ruts and then have someone tailgate the rock on the drive.  This isn't ideal, but it will be cheaper than hiring someone to haul a blade to the ranch and grading the road.

My guess is that you are going to pay at least $10 per ton at the source and then freight to the ranch on top of that. If you have 500 feet of driveway that is 12 feet wide and you want to place 3" of rock on it, you would be looking at about 100 to 125 tons of rock.

BUMP...Are asphalt millings a good choice for a road/driveway?