Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355851 times)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4350 on: November 18, 2021, 09:55:00 PM »
https://www.sare.org/resources/cover-crop-economics/

Planted in August.  One area was the cow lot, and another guy planted some on his sweet corn ground.  It's really designed to maintain or enhance soil health.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4351 on: November 19, 2021, 11:35:29 AM »
Figured I'd finally contribute to my favorite thread. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from harvest this year.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:45:21 AM by farming_cat fan »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 19, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
Great pix farming_.  Presume the corn pile is at the local elevator?

Tom

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 19, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »
Nice shots. What kind of drone are you using?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 19, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
Hell yeah!

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: November 19, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
Great pix farming_.  Presume the corn pile is at the local elevator?

Tom

Correct. Most of our corn gets hauled to the local elevator. I wish we had more on farm storage.

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: November 19, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »

DJI Air 2S.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 19, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »

DJI Air 2S.
I have absolutely zero need for a $1000 drone, but I'll be damned if I'm not wanting one now. That thing is really cool.

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 19, 2021, 01:46:45 PM »

DJI Air 2S.
I have absolutely zero need for a $1000 drone, but I'll be damned if I'm not wanting one now. That thing is really cool.
Here is a video that I put together from the same day and of course with the same drone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNsCF_vI7c

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: November 19, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »

DJI Air 2S.
Here is a video that I put together from the same day and of course with the same drone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNsCF_vI7c

Can you re-cut this video with some Korn instead?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: November 19, 2021, 01:51:07 PM »

DJI Air 2S.
Same

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: November 19, 2021, 02:14:54 PM »
Welcome to the board farming_cat fan, hell of a introduction.

What part of KS was that you were harvesting in? I'm guessing central KS (between Salina and Hays but closer to Salina) for the following reasons

1. Non Irrigated Corn
2. Water visible in one of the drone shots
3. Some Tree's but not ton's of tree's like in eastern KS.
4. The topography and way the field is laid out seems like its the edge of the smoky hills

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: November 19, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
Guessing Barton County.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: November 19, 2021, 03:01:12 PM »
Welcome to the board farming_cat fan, hell of a introduction.

What part of KS was that you were harvesting in? I'm guessing central KS (between Salina and Hays but closer to Salina) for the following reasons

1. Non Irrigated Corn
2. Water visible in one of the drone shots
3. Some Tree's but not ton's of tree's like in eastern KS.
4. The topography and way the field is laid out seems like its the edge of the smoky hills
Northeast Kansas (Nemaha County).

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: November 19, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
dangit farming_, you needed to give us clues. That could have been a fun game.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: November 19, 2021, 08:04:13 PM »
Big fan of Nemaha County.  Seneca, Centralia, ...

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: November 19, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »
Spread the word to all KS farmers that we need new posters like farming_ to drop in with footage of their farm and then we guess what part of the state it's in.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: November 19, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
Also I will be terrible at this game unless it's close to I-70 or in western KS. Looking forward to playing tho

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: November 20, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
need _33 to do a new youtube gE commercial about farming instead of super hypothetical recruiting and getting maymon's number that one time

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: November 26, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
Am I good to cut up these old weathered fence posts for firewood or will I still die from the residual creosote fumes?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: November 26, 2021, 03:56:18 PM »
Am I good to cut up these old weathered fence posts for firewood or will I still die from the residual creosote fumes?

There is also a huge pile of them in the junkyard so if I'm good to burn them in the fireplace I'm set on firewood for like 10 years.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: November 26, 2021, 04:00:43 PM »
Also Its 72 and sunny with no wind out here at the cat ranch. Got 2 cocks today and now I'm enjoying an ice cold barley pop and listening to some music while I soak up some rays with the dogs.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:52:03 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:55 PM »
Sunrise over the "Danger keep out barn", check out that old school trailer that hauled away the mini ponies. I'm guessing it belongs to the guy who does the actual farming at the cat ranch.

Thanks for bumping SD. I recently learned that my dad owns this trailer and actually bought like 10 feeder calfs to fatten up over the summer. He wouldnt give me too many details besides saying "It didn't work out like I planned" and "I didn't make any money".

Some of the big hangups were "I didnt know I would have to give them all the shots so I had to have a vet come out and do it which costs alot, also there was no chute to confine them in so that was hard"

One of them got sick so the vet had to come out again and give it some meds or something.

He chalked it up as "A learning experience"

I'm guessing he sold off the mini ponies to make up for his losses from attempting to farm cattle

Oh man, just found my dad's farming "Diary/Notebook" while I was out here pheasant hunting and now I have the full scoop on what happened. I cant stop laughing.

Here is his entry from 8-21-21 transcribed as best I can understand his chicken scratch the parentheses are my comments.

"Bot 3 feeders about 5 weeks ago. $167 x 1 $158 x 2 hereford. #1 dies 4 days later either(?) cough or ponies (Does he think the ponies stomped his calf to death?!? Is that why he sold them?!?).

#2 and #3 run off. Travel 7 miles over a week, Alvin Depee corralled them. Brought back to corral so they would not escape. Figured ponies tau(taught?) them through the fence. Was back in KC a few days when calf got sick and feeders were found.

(moving from bottom of page to here since it goes with the calfs)

"One feeder of 2 got cough. 2 vet trips $70, $50 to get RES-FLOR shots. Likely sell both thurs."

The rest is just him talking about his milo crop and how the land he broke out this year sucked crap.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:19:11 PM by ben ji »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: November 27, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »
Ben ji I would not burn those posts in the fire place.  Maybe use them to shore up the calf pen?

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: November 27, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »
The final touch to the barn upgrade the last year plus.  Guard rail so I don't drive equipment into my fancy new partition wall.

Tom

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:09:18 AM by KST8FAN »