Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360895 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4225 on: September 03, 2021, 10:45:52 PM »
Also found out that lil lil escaped from the house and went AWOL for a day which led to this conversation.

(My dad has a red early 2000's 2wd chevy S10 that he keeps on the farm that my cousin/uncle make fun of because it's clearly not a "real" farm truck...they call it "Lil Red")

Me: "How did lil lil escape?"

Dad: "Lehman and I were coming back from the pasture and when he opened the door she jumped out"

Me: "what were you guys doing out in the pasture"

Dad: "well I was out by the windmill (water not power) and the tanks are leaking water so I got stuck and Lehman had to pull me out"

Here is an old picture of "lil Red" and lil lil.

There are too many lmao’s to even focus on here. Amazing and joyous.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4226 on: September 06, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
Farm report incoming.

Walked like a mile all the way out to the pasture with Milo before the Katz game Saturday.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: September 06, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
The "River" looks pretty different when it goes a year without any cows grazing it. (2nd pic was the same area from last summer)

Also it rained this year.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 04:20:30 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: September 06, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »
Here are some of my uncle's cows on my aunt's land enjoying a cool foggy morning.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: September 06, 2021, 04:10:54 PM »
Cat census was 3, 2 kittens that hang out in the barn and 1 white cat I saw for about 2 seconds.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: September 06, 2021, 04:13:43 PM »
Sunrise over the "Danger keep out barn", check out that old school trailer that hauled away the mini ponies. I'm guessing it belongs to the guy who does the actual farming at the cat ranch.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: September 06, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
Sunset pic over some pasture and our hot sexy new Milo field.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: September 06, 2021, 04:18:32 PM »
Lady and Milo enjoying their giant dog park.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: September 18, 2021, 04:21:57 PM »
alright, I'm going to retire at like 50 and become a dinosaur hunting cowboy

https://twitter.com/business/status/1439336950289375243

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: September 18, 2021, 05:30:13 PM »
Sunrise over the "Danger keep out barn", check out that old school trailer that hauled away the mini ponies. I'm guessing it belongs to the guy who does the actual farming at the cat ranch.

Thanks for bumping SD. I recently learned that my dad owns this trailer and actually bought like 10 feeder calfs to fatten up over the summer. He wouldnt give me too many details besides saying "It didn't work out like I planned" and "I didn't make any money".

Some of the big hangups were "I didnt know I would have to give them all the shots so I had to have a vet come out and do it which costs alot, also there was no chute to confine them in so that was hard"

One of them got sick so the vet had to come out again and give it some meds or something.

He chalked it up as "A learning experience"

I'm guessing he sold off the mini ponies to make up for his losses from attempting to farm cattle

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: September 20, 2021, 09:15:08 PM »
My first contribution to the farm thread!

Wild article about the state fair, 4-H, and something called the Spotted Lantern Fly. Some quotes from some great K-Staters sprinkled in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/15/kansas-state-fair-spotted-lanternfly/

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: September 20, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »
lil red  :lol: :lol:  :love:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: September 21, 2021, 06:13:59 AM »

Thanks for bumping SD. I recently learned that my dad owns this trailer and actually bought like 10 feeder calfs to fatten up over the summer. He wouldnt give me too many details besides saying "It didn't work out like I planned" and "I didn't make any money".

Some of the big hangups were "I didnt know I would have to give them all the shots so I had to have a vet come out and do it which costs alot, also there was no chute to confine them in so that was hard"

One of them got sick so the vet had to come out again and give it some meds or something.

He chalked it up as "A learning experience"

I'm guessing he sold off the mini ponies to make up for his losses from attempting to farm cattle
Ha, that’s great. People think farming is easy. It is not, it is very complicated.

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: September 21, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »

Wild article about the state fair, 4-H, and something called the Spotted Lantern Fly. Some quotes from some great K-Staters sprinkled in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/15/kansas-state-fair-spotted-lanternfly/

I think its interesting he only got a blue.  He discovered something that scientists didn't think possible and didn't get the purple ribbon?
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: September 21, 2021, 09:09:58 AM »

I think its interesting he only got a blue.  He discovered something that scientists didn't think possible and didn't get the purple ribbon?

Right! Clearly the judges didn't know.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: September 27, 2021, 05:47:23 PM »
I would like to introduce some new characters to this thread

Blackie and Grey Boy were up at the garage together exploring.  They are full now.  Blackie is so petite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: September 28, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
Your dad puts in so little effort in naming his cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: September 28, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »
Will they make it through December?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: September 28, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »

RUSTY!!! I was all smiling at these Farmer people posts and you ruined it.  :cry:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: September 28, 2021, 01:14:20 PM »

RUSTY!!! I was all smiling at these Farmer people posts and you ruined it.  :cry:
Sorry I deal in farm reality, not farm fantasy

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: September 28, 2021, 01:41:21 PM »
not everyone has the stomach for ranch life

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: September 28, 2021, 01:47:53 PM »
I think that farm and ranch related stress is possibly going to kill my dad. Inter- and intragenerational problems with no clear boundaries, structure, roles, succession plans - just farm until you drop over dead. It feels like he is trapped. It is ruining any nostalgia I had left for growing up on a farm.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: September 28, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »

Sorry I deal in farm reality, not farm fantasy

I just want the kitties to be ok. I know this is a cat farm and cat farms are tough environments, but i'm just hoping they make it out ok.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: September 28, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »
I think that farm and ranch related stress is possibly going to kill my dad. Inter- and intragenerational problems with no clear boundaries, structure, roles, succession plans - just farm until you drop over dead. It feels like he is trapped. It is ruining any nostalgia I had left for growing up on a farm.
Honestly I think my dad is kind of going through the same thing. It's just not as much fun for him.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: September 28, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »
Honestly I think my dad is kind of going through the same thing. It's just not as much fun for him.

This is prob pretty normal (I have no idea, but it makes sense). Guys have worked their asses off every day their whole lives and don't know or really want anything different. I guess its like the guy that went to his regular job every day until they basically made him retire. Farmer guys don't get that option if they don't have family that want to take it over I guess. One thing I have learned about farms is that the land is really really rough ridin' important to some people in the families. I'm fairly certain my MIL would sell a body part to keep 1/10th of an acre of her family's land. Other people in the family would have sold it off a long time ago.