Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356063 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Apparently there is a blade up by the hay bales and my cousin went to even out a road for some equipment and found a rattler hanging off the blade when he picked it up.

Here is the dead rattler. (Also @steve dave @sys he cut the rattling part off and showed me it saying "Look at these buttons" and I rough ridin' schooled him about how rattlers only have 1 button or whatever sys said earlier in this thread, rough ridin' joco kid dropping knowledge on a farm boy out of left field)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:06:08 AM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
One last picture of the juggalo cow

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I've been out here 2 months and we have gotten maybe .5 inches of rain. The "creek" is bone dry but supposedly we are going to get some rain in the next week.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
For another data point in the "Silage vs Ensilage" debate here is a conversation I had with my cousin today.

ben ji: So what is your dad planting in the field.

cousin: some cattle feed

ben ji: Like alfalfa or something?

cousin: Not alfalfa, some sort of silage to cut up and feed to the cows.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also my cousin encouraged me to to find the badger that's on our property and kill it. Apparently its doing alot of damage and "I saw it this winter and ran over it with a 3 wheeler a couple of times but somehow it survived and got away"

I actually saw the badger out here last summer so my question is are they that much of a pest that I should blast it next time I see it or should I just let it be?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What chemicals are in these yellow/black tanks I have been seeing lately, no markers on them so I'm guessing they are not hazardous?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Could be bulk herbicide or fert. 

Your cousin doesn't sound very farmy to me.  The badger will keep your rodent/prairie dog pop. in check and they're neat to watch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:39:59 AM by slackcat »

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
leave the badger alone.  all it wants to do is eat rodents and be a badass.

poor snake.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
What chemicals are in these yellow/black tanks I have been seeing lately, no markers on them so I'm guessing they are not hazardous?

Those are fertilizer tanks.   Is that a Zubaz  grain bin?
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Pro tip:  Don't try to pet the badger

If Tom declines your offer of the engines, send me a message.  I'd be interested in one or both.  I like working on engines.

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

If Tom declines your offer of the engines, send me a message.  I'd be interested in one or both.  I like working on engines.
I defer to slackcat here, but really appreciate the offer Benji. I got more stuff then I can get done.   As long as slackcat posts vid of them running he is probably the better option.

We can still go fishing!

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We have an aerial photo of the farm from the 90's that is framed in a clock piece where the clock hands are part of a windmill. (Its at the house in KC so no picture)

I did take this aerial picture on the way to vegas last fall. Windbreak/buildings are in top right corner of our section which goes back just past the "creek". My aunt owns the 1/2 section that is adjacent with the green circle.

Many of the photos itt prompted my aerial photo inquiry
We actually have 2 sets of this clock photo thing so I get my own.

Cat ranch circa 1991.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Nice cat ranch

I defer to slackcat here, but really appreciate the offer Benji. I got more stuff then I can get done.   As long as slackcat posts vid of them running he is probably the better option.

We can still go fishing!

Tom

Thanks Tom.  If it's OK with the ben ji clan.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:59:00 AM by slackcat »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nice cat ranch

We can still go fishing!

Tom

Thanks Tom.  If it's OK with the ben ji clan.

:thumbsup: I'm pretty sure I can only fit 1 in the back of my vehicle at a time so I'll bring the deere back first. I'll let you know next time I'm out at the cat ranch and we can coordinate where to meet etc.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Sounds good.  Can you give me an idea condition (does it turn over) and price?  PM me if you want.

You're also welcome to fish any of the ponds on the wind ranch, even have a quarry.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Another thing as dad does when he buys a new ford truck is torch off the spare tire holder thing and throw the spare in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll bet SD Dad used to cut the catalytic converters off of new vehicles too before it started messing up the computers.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Went down the wikipedia rabbit hole today and ended up reading this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beecher_Island which mentioned Sheridan KS and it stirred a memory.

Sheridan was a town for like 1 year where the railroad had to stop for a bit while they got more money so all the workers just made dugouts and got wasted while they gambled and shot people.

Turns out my Uncle owns the land it was on and I actually visited it with my dad when I was a kid after he read about it in a book of ghost towns and realized my uncle owned the land. We went out there with a metal detector(whatever the mid 90's version of a harbor freight metal detector is) but only found nails/junk. The only thing left to resemble a town was a couple of collapsed dugouts on the hillsides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFvQw5I-yg

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
The University of Texas archeology dept called my dad like 5 years ago and he let them do surveys and metal detection crap. Found like Calvary swords and cannonballs and buttons and crap. Like our ranch was ground zero of the Calvary coming in and massacring Cheyenne Indians. There’s a plaque on the highway where you can read about it irl.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Chief Medicine Water is an all time badass name btw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
iirc the Calvary was from Ft. Dodge which is near Dodge City and they came in and wiped every Cheyenne out. Not advertised on the sign. I’m probably not being historically accurate here but from my memory as a kid being told about it anyway.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Steve Dave did you ever go to the peace treaty pageant in medicine lodge?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
YES!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
iirc the Calvary was from Ft. Dodge which is near Dodge City and they came in and wiped every Cheyenne out. Not advertised on the sign. I’m probably not being historically accurate here but from my memory as a kid being told about it anyway.

goddammit sd, quit saying "calvary".

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don’t know what the right name is obviously. Take what I say and translate it to the correct thing.