Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355903 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2075 on: February 07, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
oh man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2076 on: February 07, 2020, 02:26:12 PM »
Subject: Farm Departure List

This board is on the fridge at farm -

Farm now has open kitcheb sink drain, new plumbing below kitchen sink, AND the septic tank has been pumped !

Little yellow cat recovering from near death - Biomox (lil's old med) helped her recover from very hard time.  Most cats in Morton.  Caught 3 possums in Morton (1 by hand) moved 3.5 miles West.

2 auto feeders in garage, 2 now in Morton.  Will likely shut half off over summer.

Collected 20 more ears of corn feeding pheasants in wind breaks and around.

I can't wait to hear the story about #10 on the departure list....

I asked my dad about #10 on the checklist.....

Couple yrs ago cat had head stuck in can.  Had to force head from can.  Lucky it did not break its neck.   So cans get taken to city for disposal.  They do not burn anyway.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:36:36 PM by ben ji »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: February 07, 2020, 02:42:46 PM »
lmao

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 08, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
My dad met with the government check writing people this week and we cant get any CRP money for our playa lakes unless they have been farmed for 4 years so the currently the plan is to break out the pasture in 2021 and plant crops for a couple of years.

Better idea than my dad trying to run cattle/meat goats so I'm all for it.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 08, 2020, 06:59:34 PM »
also got details on the 1 possum my dad caught by hand...it was chilling in the morton building just eating all the catfood and my dad saw it take off into the hay bale condo...he moved a couple hay bales and grabbed it by the tail then stuck it in the wire cage/trap he had laying around.

Direct quote "I was holding it by the tail and they are pretty roly poly so I thought of just holding it out the window while I drove it 3.5 miles away but my hand might of got tired. Luckily the trap was a couple of feet away so I put the possum in there for the ride"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 08, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
My kids will be posting about my hobby farming one day. I'm about to buy 20 acres with a pond, tobacco barn, and animal barn.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bored and going back through this thread. Did you buy the hobby farm? If so how if the hobby farm doing?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 08, 2020, 07:55:56 PM »
My dad met with the government check writing people this week and we cant get any CRP money for our playa lakes unless they have been farmed for 4 years.

jfc (the gubment, not y'all).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 08, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »
My dad met with the government check writing people this week and we cant get any CRP money for our playa lakes unless they have been farmed for 4 years.

I agree sys, very WTF

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 08, 2020, 08:56:58 PM »
My kids will be posting about my hobby farming one day. I'm about to buy 20 acres with a pond, tobacco barn, and animal barn.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bored and going back through this thread. Did you buy the hobby farm? If so how if the hobby farm doing?

Hobby trash cat ranch

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: February 10, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »

I agree sys, very WTF

No, no , no that's a misinterpretation. The whole parcel has to have been "farmed" and defined as ag land for at least 4 years. For God's sake don't till through the low spots/playa lakes since you won't grow anything anyway and it'll make it easier for them to meet the definition of a playa lake wetland down the road. Just change the classification of the entire parcel to "cropland" via farming for it to be eligible for CRP signup - keep in mind your property taxes will go up with this too. Then after 4 years the parcel (as long as the it meets the other requirements at sign-up time) would be eligible for standard CRP, with the playa lakes being a separate CRP contract.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: February 10, 2020, 04:52:28 PM »

I agree sys, very WTF

No, no , no that's a misinterpretation. The whole parcel has to have been "farmed" and defined as ag land for at least 4 years. For God's sake don't till through the low spots/playa lakes since you won't grow anything anyway and it'll make it easier for them to meet the definition of a playa lake wetland down the road. Just change the classification of the entire parcel to "cropland" via farming for it to be eligible for CRP signup - keep in mind your property taxes will go up with this too. Then after 4 years the parcel (as long as the it meets the other requirements at sign-up time) would be eligible for standard CRP, with the playa lakes being a separate CRP contract.

Appreciate the info and will pass it along to my dad so he want get clarification from the government check writing people.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: February 16, 2020, 10:21:43 AM »
Good thing we have wind to save us!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/16/wind-energy-can-help-american-farmers-earn-money-avoid-bankruptcy/4695670002/

Some interesting stats for those who want to TLDR version (but you should read it as all the wind farms mentioned are based in KS)

- In 2018 KS was the 4th largest wind power producing state and the largest percentage wise at 36% of all power generated (seems high but what do i know)

- 20 Million a year in lease payments across the state of KS

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: February 17, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
https://www.wind-watch.org/documents/ruling-letting-stand-prohibition-of-wind-farms-in-wabaunsee-county-kan/

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2016/06/23/douglas-county-commission-approves-regulations-for-wind-energy-towers/

No cattle sun dials for those of us in Wabaunsee and Douglas Co.

I guess Brownback made the Flint Hills all off limits while governor.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:31:42 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: February 20, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »
Millions of dollars going into NO county as I keyboard.  Much needed income for the smaller farmers,retirees, and local businesses.  I'll just combine the wind payments with the rest of my 1099 income and invest it, I see it as gravy.   :driving:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: February 20, 2020, 04:39:46 PM »
...and now my new vanity plate has windmills in the background. 

Powering the Future.

RENEWABLEGUY aka Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:43:24 PM by KST8FAN »

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: February 20, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
my uncle will not be getting that license plate, i can promise you that

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: February 20, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »
that's stud AF Tom

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: February 20, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »
VERY stud AF

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: February 20, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
will def have  :love:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: February 20, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »
Amazing, thank you Tom
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: February 20, 2020, 10:48:02 PM »
99% chance I get my dad that plate for his bday but it says CTRNCHR

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: February 20, 2020, 10:48:35 PM »
Or maybe CATRNCH ?

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: February 21, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
LIL'LIL

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: February 21, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
JVMTNLN