Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360671 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »
Have you heard of this thing where people pay to come out and work on your farm for a few hours? Do they do that on your family farm?

a couple local HS kids do that all the time. some of them are real pieces of trash but some of them do a good job. mostly stupid stuff around the ranch like cleaning up stuff or moving stuff or just standing there like idiots.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
did they used to raise something different, but switch over to angus when the angus mafia convinced the consumer than angus cow meat tastes better than other cow meats?

yes. were primarily charolais prior to that. and some limo. but then went almost fully angus. but now back to a lot of charolais and some beefmaster and some angus.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »
did you enjoy fixing fence?  how about throwing hay?

no to both

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
My roommates in college (from newton) said they were the 2nd richest farmers in the state of KS. How would they know that? Do farmers measure eachother out?

I assure you they were not.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
My roommates in college (from newton) said they were the 2nd richest farmers in the state of KS. How would they know that? Do farmers measure eachother out?

When someone tells you how rich they are it means they are lying and a douchebag, probably both.
Well yeah... That's why I wanted to get down to the bottom of this.

Newton is known liar country

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
Does your dad get super mad at ppl who use steak sauce? Mine does. Man, I use to have to warn gf's to never ask for it.

no, he doesn't give a crap

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
how frequently do you look back on your could have been yours cow farm life and reflect on the foolish choices you've made in your life?

no, never

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »
how frequently do you look back on your could have been yours cow farm life and reflect on the foolish choices you've made in your life?

steve dave is an Exxx, you are an Ixxx. very hard to be an Exxx isolated on a farm 247365
very interesting theory, I wonder if SD's pops is also an Exxx and that contributed to his preference for his kids to not farm. 

SD, how many generations have the SDs been farming?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2015, 02:10:20 PM »

When someone tells you how rich they are it means they are lying and a douchebag, probably both.
Well yeah... That's why I wanted to get down to the bottom of this.

Newton is known liar country
I figured.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »
What was your cattle call?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
How many cowboy boots and wranglers did you go through a year (on average) growing up?

How many do you go through now?

I think I owned one pair of cowboy boots ever and don't recall any wranglers. sddad doesn't even wear them anymore (boots). actually almost no cow farmers do that I can think of. mostly just people who like to act like cow farmers do I think.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
did you call lunch "dinner" and dinner "super"?

no, just the regular words

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
Has your dad ever been duped by a hay bale ponzi scheme like DeezNuts was?

no. he has recently had a security company come put up a bunch of video camera things on a lot of the equipment and fuel tanks and junk though because there have been thefts in the area. I'm 100% positive he got ripped off on the pricing of this stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:11 PM »
What was your cattle call?

blast the horn on the truck for like 10 seconds

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »
Did you have any creeks/ponds that you fished in on your off time?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2015, 02:20:18 PM »
Did you have any creeks/ponds that you fished in on your off time?

there are two creeks that go through our ranch and they kind of join up at this one spot and make this huge creek and a beaver made an enormous damn a little ways down from that and it made like this huge area of water for a couple miles. we put a canoe in it once and paddled up and down it and would catch bullhead catfish sometimes. it was pretty stupid.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
Did the stoner farm kids try and grow weed on their farms where their dads wouldnt see?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »
Did the stoner farm kids try and grow weed on their farms where their dads wouldnt see?

actual true story: I didn't know a single stoner kid growing up. I didn't even know what marijuana smelled like until I got to college.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »
That sounds like a lot of fun, SD. Beavers. Such little rascals.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
what is your favorite breed of cattle?

Beefmaster. or Limousine.

!    I now doubt your credentials.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »

actual true story: I didn't know a single stoner kid growing up. I didn't even know what marijuana smelled like until I got to college.

me too.

#family values

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
my grandpa loves nothing more than to go out with a dozer tractor and/or a dirt wagon that scoops up dirt and push dirt around. One time his dirt wagon got broken or something and he tried to fix it and in the process got his thumb wedged between two enormous pieces of metal and couldn't get it off. He had his cell phone in his overalls (KEY) pocket, and he said "I tried to dial 9-9-1 and it just rang and rang and rang!"

Farmer grandpas!

SD, any great farmer grandpa stories?!?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
my dad grew up on a farm in south dakota, and one time the kids were playing in the dirt road and their border collie (Quincy) ran into the road and barked at trucks that were coming so they didn't run over the kids

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
sys, did you read that ^ ? wow!

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
i miss herefords as well.  :frown:
remember shorthorns?   :love:
i do not. everyone in my area is strictly angus. my great grandpa was the last of hereford cattle farmers around.