Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371813 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Cows have such round, beautiful eyes and long eyelashes. It's a shame they're so tasty.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Cows have such round, beautiful eyes and long eyelashes. It's a shame they're so tasty.

for sure, I think that's bred in. on the downside I think just basically hoping you can die if given the opportunity because you area a helpless piece of crap and you mom is a helpless piece of crap is also something that's bred in. so nancy neg there.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
First time I brought my GF (future wife) to the farm, she got to bottle feed a baby Hereford (cutest OAT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

for sure, I think that's bred in. on the downside I think just basically hoping you can die if given the opportunity because you area a helpless piece of crap and you mom is a helpless piece of crap is also something that's bred in. so nancy neg there.
Did SD dad or anyone ever try and raise any buffalo or beefalo?

My uncle gave it a go 20 years ago and had maybe 5ish buffalo for a couple of years then said eff that crap after one destroyed his pickup when he was checking on them one day. Just kept ramming the side of it IIRC.

Sold them and went back to 24/7/365 cow farming after that.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Anyone else notice how @stevedave quietly exited the BEEF OFF after Tom posted his #facts?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tom, if that is you in the pic I have waaayyy more gray hair than you and I feel like you are way older than me.
@mikec2w

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Anyone else notice how @stevedave quietly exited the BEEF OFF after Tom posted his #facts?

SD gave up his king cow farmer crown to tom a couple of months ago.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Like the amount of zerks that went ungreased in my day would make a grown man blush.

I also broke whole forests worth of pitman sticks arms every summer.
Had to Google pitman sticks arms

:lol: city kids
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile

SD gave up his king cow farmer crown to tom a couple of months ago.

BetaSteve is what several high ranking posters on this board have been calling him for some time and literally nobody got tripped up by it. Not one person was like “who is betasteve?” everyone was just like yep we know exactly who you’re talking about, fitting name change honestly

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Did SD dad or anyone ever try and raise any buffalo or beefalo?

My uncle gave it a go 20 years ago and had maybe 5ish buffalo for a couple of years then said eff that crap after one destroyed his pickup when he was checking on them one day. Just kept ramming the side of it IIRC.

Sold them and went back to 24/7/365 cow farming after that.

nope. BUT! I tried to convince him to when I was in like Jr. High. shitty gene having cows always freak out and deliver all their babies when a blizzard is coming and they will almost all die if you don't come rescue them. buffalo are the opposite and will stop having calves because their genes are robust and hardy.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Tom, if that is you in the pic I have waaayyy more gray hair than you and I feel like you are way older than me.
Not me.  That's a cousin, once removed, that rents some of our pasture.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:03:58 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Alright guys had dinner with my dad tonight and this is his plan for our semi-irrigated circle next year (1 pump on my aunt's land for 2 circles, we get it for 1 week a month or something). The circle has been growing Milo for the last 3 years because my dad made money farming Milo one year and thinks it's the crap.

Anyways after this years Milo crop is harvested my dad's plan is to plant OATS in the spring, Bale them up in the summer for cow food then plant wheat in September.

Is this a decent farm plan? I asked my dad who he was going to sell the oat bales to and he told me he was working on some WKS connections he has.

Also I had no idea anyone grew oats anymore but I'm just a city boi from JOCO so please enlighten me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oh no

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oh no
Tell me more so I can tell my dad how bad of an idea this would be.

We need to grow something in this semi irrigated circle besides Milo (crop rotation and all) and my dad is convinced corn won't grow out there (even tho all the neighbors grow dryland corn).

What should he do with the circle between the Milo harvest in the fall and the wheat planting time in September of the following year?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oh no

We need to grow something in this semi irrigated circle besides Milo (crop rotation and all) and my dad is convinced corn won't grow out there (even tho all the neighbors grow dryland corn).

What should he do with the circle between the Milo harvest in the fall and the wheat planting time in September of the following year?

my only advice is to not get cute with it. I have no idea what crop calendars and rotations and crap work. I know we rarely rotated anything though. we'd change from time to time on some sections but it would be multi year switches, not rotating. though this is SWKS where you couldn't grow a lot of stuff non-irrigated.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
when the eff is this milo supposed to be harvested?  afaik, milo is a fall harvest unless he's chopping it in the supper for ensilage (elite kansas word for silage).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
when the eff is this milo supposed to be harvested?  afaik, milo is a fall harvest unless he's chopping it in the supper for ensilage (elite kansas word for silage).

Milo harvested this fall, oats planted next spring, oats harvested next summer, wheat planted next fall.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
oh, that makes sense.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So most of the Milo on your cat ranch is going to wheat in fall 2023?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Correct, and my dad is hoping to get some sort of small crop in on the semi irrigated circle between Fall of 22 when we harvest the milo and fall of 23 when we plant the wheat.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Correct, and my dad is hoping to get some sort of small crop in on the semi irrigated circle between Fall of 22 when we harvest the milo and fall of 23 when we plant the wheat.

Seems like that’s going to cut down on your pheasant population :(
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Don't worry it looks like Ben Ji got this.  Just check out all the hunting he did last season in other areas.  :cheers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Don't worry it looks like Ben Ji got this.  Just check out all the hunting he did last season in other areas.  :cheers:
Yeah, my aunt still has a 40 acre and 20 acre CRP patch within walking distance. My long lost 3rd cousinish across the road has the same ish which I have permission to hunt because I called him up and he said "we are basically family so go for it".

In 4 years the 40 acres of playa lakes in our newly broke out dryland field will be in CRP as well (I've mentioned it before but they have to be classified as cropland for 5 years before they can get enrolled in CRP).

But my true honey hole is a WIHA about 3 miles from the cat ranch that no one hunts.

Ben ji should be fine chasing birds for the foreseeable future.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
oh no

I think pumpkins is the answer here, but I have very LFIQ. Pumpkins have to come from somewhere though.  :dunno: