Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 370729 times)

highway61 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4300 on: October 10, 2021, 07:31:52 PM »
Tater looks like an awesome farm dog.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4301 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:02 PM »
Farm AF

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: October 10, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »
He irrigated milo????
Long story short the well is on my Aunt's land and pumps to 2 circles (ours and hers,can only hit 1 at a time). My uncle farms my aunt's land and gets first dibs so my dad only gets to drain the aquifer on his land for a couple of weeks out of the year or something to that effect.

Also he rough ridin' loves Milo because one time a couple of years ago he made a decent amount of money on it so now he is 24/7 stanning for Milo when I talk to him about what he's gonna grow.

Ben Ji: Hey, why don't you grow some corn on that irrigated circle?

Dad: If there is a drought I can still get a good crop of Milo.

Ben Ji: It's irrigated, you can make your own rain.

Dad: Good point. But I made money when we planted Milo one time like X years ago.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: October 10, 2021, 10:33:47 PM »
Also he rough ridin' loves Milo because one time a couple of years ago he made a decent amount of money on it so now he is 24/7 stanning for Milo.

goodbye cat ranch, hello mini horse farm.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: October 10, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
Also you know that 240 acres of pasture at the cat ranch that was broke out into farmland? The Milo on it was crap and is going to end up getting baled into feed instead of harvested.

My dad blames our tenant who picked some variety that could get sprayed with some herbicide to kill any grass that grew up. Long story short only like 20% of it headed/seeded out.

The Milo on our irrigated circle is looking juicy AF tho and will get harvested next week.

This isn’t going to eff up your pheasant population will it?!
Pheasant population should be good since there is about 140 acres of ungrazed pasture + my aunt's CRP for them to chill in while they eat all the waste seed from the successful farmers around us.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4305 on: October 10, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »
Also he rough ridin' loves Milo because one time a couple of years ago he made a decent amount of money on it so now he is 24/7 stanning for Milo.

goodbye cat ranch, hello mini horse farm.
My dad sold the mini horses to break even from his attempt at raising some feeder calf's .

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: October 10, 2021, 11:07:25 PM »
My dad sold the mini horses to break even from his attempt at raising some feeder calf's .

exactly.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: October 11, 2021, 05:24:36 AM »

He irrigated milo????
Long story short the well is on my Aunt's land and pumps to 2 circles (ours and hers,can only hit 1 at a time). My uncle farms my aunt's land and gets first dibs so my dad only gets to drain the aquifer on his land for a couple of weeks out of the year or something to that effect.

Also he rough ridin' loves Milo because one time a couple of years ago he made a decent amount of money on it so now he is 24/7 stanning for Milo when I talk to him about what he's gonna grow.

Ben Ji: Hey, why don't you grow some corn on that irrigated circle?

Dad: If there is a drought I can still get a good crop of Milo.

Ben Ji: It's irrigated, you can make your own rain.

Dad: Good point. But I made money when we planted Milo one time like X years ago.

Ok that makes more sense

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: October 18, 2021, 07:42:49 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/green-river-drift-cattle-drive-60-minutes-2021-10-17/

I thought this was a nice segment last night on 60 minutes.

This is next level ranching, but takes me back to growing up and trying to corral calves to load on the trucks in the flint hills.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: October 20, 2021, 09:59:56 PM »
Looks like we got 71 BPA on the semi irrigated Milo, no word on the salvage value of the dryland Milo in the breakout field that is getting baled for feed. I did get a random text string of updates from my dad on the farm though.

Plans to gradually grow a cattle herd (putting a few cows in with another guy's herd - he takes care of my cows, I provide pasture, water, corals.  Details sorted out in agreement.)

Unauthorized game cam West of farmhouse in windbreak.   Left them a note and set up my own game cam.

Levant church pastor Ron Alexander has permission to hunt deer/coyotes/raccoons on the farm.
Garage is home for farm kitties.  Leave doors as they are - about 5 inches from ground - keeps predators out.  Milk in garage fridge for kitties - pour into the tuna cans.  Don't let dogs chase kitties or go in garage.  Thx.

Blackie and Grey Boy.  There is another wild tom white with yellow tail, is around.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:04:01 PM by ben ji »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: October 20, 2021, 10:28:23 PM »
Should have pointed his game cam at their game cam to find out who it was!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: October 21, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
I believe that is what he did, left a note on theirs and pointed one of his game cams at that area.

90% chance it's one of his old ones he forgot about or belongs to the small town pastor he gave hunting permission to.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: October 21, 2021, 09:58:38 AM »
If a fella wanted some grass fed beef, where should he get it? Also, this very same fella is not interested in any discussions about grass fed beef vs grain fed beef. He likes both and thinks people should eat a well balanced diet of whatever the eff they want.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: October 21, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »
If a fella wanted some grass fed beef, where should he get it? Also, this very same fella is not interested in any discussions about grass fed beef vs grain fed beef. He likes both and thinks people should eat a well balanced diet of whatever the eff they want.
Local locker trash can should be able to help out

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: October 21, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »

I would start with the Shop Kansas Farms webpage and/or Facebook page.  There are people that post on the Facebook page if they have beef for sale and they usually specify if it is grass finished or grain finished.

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: October 27, 2021, 09:36:59 PM »
How a meatpacking plant changed one Kansas town 40 years ago and left a Colorado community behind

https://www-ksn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.ksn.com/news/local/how-a-meatpacking-plant-changed-one-kansas-town-40-years-ago-and-left-a-colorado-community-behind/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16353713601701&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com
Beat me too to it ben ji.  I interviewed at that plant in 86 coming out of K-STATE when it was IBP.  Incredible operation.

Tom

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: November 05, 2021, 10:22:40 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: November 06, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »
I believe that is what he did, left a note on theirs and pointed one of his game cams at that area.

90% chance it's one of his old ones he forgot about or belongs to the small town pastor he gave hunting permission to.
Found the unauthorized game cam when I was out there last weekend.

My dad left a note in it saying "I think you are looking for my brothers farm which is 9 miles SW of here" then put up a no hunting sign below it.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: November 06, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »
And set up TWO game cams to see who comes back to grab the unauthorized game cam  (only one is in this pic)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: November 06, 2021, 02:38:49 PM »
Only one cat when I was there but blackie was hand fed treats and given plenty of whole Milk and Kibble.

No sign of Grey Boy which I saw a couple of months ago

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: November 09, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »
Combine fire in Osage County this evening.  Guy jumped off and broke his leg to add insult to injury.

Tom