Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 370242 times)

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Heard some commotion out on the road to the farm and talked to one of the workers. Looks like the wind company paid the county to refinish the road to our farm. (I'm assuming because their maintenance trucks use it)

We originally thought they were only improving the road for the construction phase but looks like its going to be permanent.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://seminis-us.com/product/temptation-ii/127

If coronavirus don't get me then my system can tolerate RoundUp Read sweet corn this year. 

Drop it in the bottom of the planter boxes before cous tops with field corn, start along the fence, and July 4th we'll have sweet corn for the first 100 ft.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Another farm/plane story. One of the neighbors used to have a herd of Emu's when I was a kid.

I was out on the farm for some reason and My grandpa was getting his field sprayed by a plane and it spooked the Emu's. The neighbor called up my grandpa all pissed off yelling about how 2 of his Emu's broke their leg and to stop the spraying. My GPA laughed at him and told him if he was a real farmer he wouldn't have Emu's to worry about.

Totally justified imo. I bet ben ji gpa and all the other old farmers talked mad crap on emu farmer at the donut shop, co-op, etc.
Was your GPAs neighbors name Doug?

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
fwiw non-farm kid from rural town nicname was fascinated by the aerial farm photos and basically farm family had aerial photos of their farms that i thought were awesome. prob not as cool anymore cuz everyone has drones and whatever
At least in my community second to the aerial photo was putting your name or brand on your upright silo.

Tom

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
fwiw non-farm kid from rural town nicname was fascinated by the aerial farm photos and basically farm family had aerial photos of their farms that i thought were awesome. prob not as cool anymore cuz everyone has drones and whatever
At least in my community second to the aerial photo was putting your name or brand on your upright silo.

Tom

Brand on pickup truck front license plate holder spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If you are interested Kansas has a record of all brands registered with the state and you can look up old timey brands from your ancestors. I randomly found a link to the "brand book" from the 80's a couple of months ago but don't have it on hand.

Also I just noticed today that the chimney of our farmhouse has the first letter of our last name up at the top of it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Also I just noticed today that the chimney of our farmhouse has the first letter of our last name up at the top of it.

Oh! How many farmhouses with aerial photos of the place also had a screen door with the last initial formed out of metal?

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Oh! How many farmhouses with aerial photos of the place also had a screen door with the last initial formed out of metal?

Did you take the metal design from the farm house and put it on your current house? Because the reflection in the glass does not look very farmy.

(Cool design tho)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
That's just an example I found. Not quite what I remember but close

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The story of our cow farm, cowboy and Indian activity on it, and brands features prominently in a world famous county “museum”. The haters will say it’s photoshop so I’m not going to post pics.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If you are interested Kansas has a record of all brands registered with the state and you can look up old timey brands from your ancestors. I randomly found a link to the "brand book" from the 80's a couple of months ago but don't have it on hand.

I ordered ours from the state a few years ago.  They sent the original.   On  the back was each renewal date.

Somewhere along the way the iron got lost.  I wish I still had that.

Tom

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
for awhile when I was a kid sd dad got into this new fangled freeze brand thing. essentially kept the hair on the cows but it all turned white or something iirc. it was a fad and quickly went back to burning the living crap out of them. we have old iron brands laying around everywhere. we have like 5 different brands for different corporations and partnerships and stuff but like 2 that are the historic ones. also if you put the brand sideways it can be a different brand. and you say, like, this brand XU is just "X U". but you lay it on its side and it's "Lazy X U"

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
That's some good info with the lazy thing, ty sd
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That's some good info with the lazy thing, ty sd
I think ours is "N quarter circle"

Tom

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Anyone ever hear any dust bowl stories?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

tell us the really dirty ones :Jeffy:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

No fun old timey dust bowl stories, just grapes of wrath type stuff. My grandma's mom died when she was a small child, her dad took her older brother and moved out to CA/NV for work and she was raised by her Aunt and Uncle. 

My grandpa participated in a couple of jack rabbit roundups and carried a shoot on sight grudge against them for the rest of his life. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

My folks got married in 1933, so yea, mom had a lot of stories.  Mainly amounted to dust on everything and it was hard to breathe at night, so she covered my older brothers with bread sacks over their heads like a large dust mask.  also covered windows with the same thing during dust storms.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

No fun old timey dust bowl stories, just grapes of wrath type stuff. My grandma's mom died when she was a small child, her dad took her older brother and moved out to CA/NV for work and she was raised by her Aunt and Uncle. 

My grandpa participated in a couple of jack rabbit roundups and carried a shoot on sight grudge against them for the rest of his life.

Yes, I was told by quite a few old timers about the jack rabbit roundups.  Seems they got as many locals as possible to cover a mile dia. circle and all would walk in together while pounding the ground with large sticks to scare the rabbits to run into a small circle and then would club them to death.  Also, they would have a rabbit fry afterwards.  Usually no shooting involved, just clubbing as bullets would be to dangerous.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Wow! I've read about the jack rabbit massacres!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Wow! I've read about the jack rabbit massacres!

I was told they were like swarm of locus.  They ate every in sight! 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2571 on: April 08, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
I don’t know if everyone is aware ITT but jackrabbits are rough ridin' giant.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
As course superintendent I appointed my brother to a greenskeeper/course maintenance manager role. His first job was to make an actual hole for the course which was completed yesterday. Next job is to turn the green "green".

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes they are much larger than typical rabbits. Also did you know jack rabbits are not rabbits but "hares"? I recently learned that on wikipedia.

Also Milo found a cottontail rabbit den today and turned them all into squeaky toys. She brought a couple baby's back up to the house and I threw them into the barn for the cats.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:29:53 PM by ben ji »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Back in my younger years, we used to hunt rabbits.  When we got a Jack we would give it to the dogs, cause they taste like crap.  Cottontails are much better tasting, but can only hunt during cold weather.  This is due to some disease they can carry in warm weather, but kills them in cold weather.