Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360696 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Tom, come in here and tell everyone how rough ridin' incredible it is that my slack ass who hated cow farming my entire life retained all this critical cow farm knowledge, WOW!
I am just sitting back and enjoying SD.  Not so fond memories of the "buller pen" for the steers that had been gang rode in the main pen. Extra work getting them their own hay and silage.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wait what???
Feedlot cattle feeding is analogous to man prison.  Same sex animals in confined space. Eventually some of the steers become everyone else's bitch.  You have to isolate them to avoid getting rode to death.

Tom

So this afternoon I noticed a cow by the water tank that was barely standing, then later it was down and couldn't stand up. I texted my uncle to let him know and he said "Yup I walker her in, we'll put her in the corral tomorrow. Bulls were a little hard on her!"

:surprised:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: cow farming linguistics poll
« Reply #2401 on: April 03, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
I had no idea what silage/ensilage was until I learned about it in the farm thread and its not something they do on the cat ranch so I'm going to sit this one out.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: April 03, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
nothing for generic silage or "feed"? I had never heard ensilage until someone posted it in the farming thread.

what a stupid poll

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How much would it suck to be a cow? If your a male then there is a 90% chance they cut your balls off and you are dead within a year. If you are a female you get knocked up, give birth then a couple months later your kid is taken away and your thrown back to the bulls.

I guess the 10% or whatever the percentage of male calfs that turn into bulls have it pretty good for a while.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: April 03, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »
nothing for generic silage or "feed"? I had never heard ensilage until someone posted it in the farming thread.

what a stupid poll

to clarify, the raging linguistics debate being polled is silage v ensilage.  the bonus embedded question, which is unrelated to the linguistics, is whether the respondent prefers to see cows eating corn or sorghum based silage/ensilage.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
gotta be the highest quality of life of any mainstream farm animal, tbh.  unless you include horses, maybe.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
maybe sheep have it better, actually.  i'm not aware of sheep feedlots.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Tom, come in here and tell everyone how rough ridin' incredible it is that my slack ass who hated cow farming my entire life retained all this critical cow farm knowledge, WOW!
I am just sitting back and enjoying SD.  Not so fond memories of the "buller pen" for the steers that had been gang rode in the main pen. Extra work getting them their own hay and silage.

Tom

wait what???
Feedlot cattle feeding is analogous to man prison.  Same sex animals in confined space. Eventually some of the steers become everyone else's bitch.  You have to isolate them to avoid getting rode to death.

Tom

So this afternoon I noticed a cow by the water tank that was barely standing, then later it was down and couldn't stand up. I texted my uncle to let him know and he said "Yup I walker her in, we'll put her in the corral tomorrow. Bulls were a little hard on her!"

:surprised:

I’m not sure I’d accept the word of someone with warm weather calves just dying left and right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
goats seem to party pretty hard

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: April 03, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »
sys, no one ever says ensilage. I don't know why you think that is debateable. I have heard lots of folks call something like sileage "feed" however. I don't know what it is, it just looks like grassy corn and it's really tall but it doesn't have any corn. maybe it is corn just cut way early but I don't think that's what it is

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: April 03, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
I have heard people say ensilage. but rarely. like, my dad knows for a fact it's ensilage but just calls it silage 95% of the time. and tbh I think he may have just given up on ensilage all together decades ago. obviously I'm not around but lil sd goes on the feed truck to feed cows 24/7/365 and we talk A LOT about what the cows eat.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: April 03, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
maybe it was sorghum? but it was always taller than the milo that was harvested for grain.

something like this:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: April 03, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »
I think ours was mostly milo. though we'd occasionally plant fields of some other weird feed crop that would get chopped up and gross. we'd also do "stalks" which was like the leftover of corn or some crap.  It was nasty crap and even cows had to have it mixed with alfalfa to eat the trash.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: April 03, 2020, 07:21:04 PM »
this was from "sorghumcheckoff.com"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: April 03, 2020, 07:22:05 PM »
yeah, that looks like the gross-out stuff we'd ferment over the course of a year to shove down cow throats.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: April 03, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »
Your dad sounds like a fancy cow farmer with his five dollars words and whatnot. "Ensilage? Ok professor cow farmer"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: April 03, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
I remember ensilage from before silage though. we had an "ensilage pit". it was a giant cutout thing in the side of a hill where like 50 yards of ensilage about 20 feet deep was kept. it smelled like barf and had barf runoff 24/7/365. we had a loader tractor that we'd dump it into the feed trucks to mix with actual good cow food and mix it up. also a pile of corn or something that they'd get a scoop of. we'd also dump molasses in there sometimes. and "protein" whatever the eff that means. also brewers grains which is the leftover crap from ethanol plants. it makes a fine cow slop mix from what I understand.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: April 03, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
I like those big smelly silage bags

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: April 03, 2020, 07:39:09 PM »
sys, no one ever says ensilage.

my family is an ensilage family, you sonofabitch.  btw, silage/ensilage is the chopped up, fermented product that cows love, it's not the name of the type of plant that gets chopped up to make ensilage.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: April 03, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
maybe it was sorghum? but it was always taller than the milo that was harvested for grain.

yeah, a strain of sorghum that grows big and has lots of leaf matter and crap instead of staying small and putting all its energy into producing grain like milo.

in california all the central valley dairy farms make their ensilage out of corn, not sorghum.  it's also a corn variety that grows ridiculously tall, dunno how much grain it churns out.  they all call it silage here, like idiots.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: April 03, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
i think you can probably figure out the derivation of ensilage/silage from here.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ensile

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: April 03, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »
I think they use corn silage at the KSU beef research and dairy farms, but it may have been that stupid tall sorghum

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Glad to see SD agrees with my dad that ben ji's dad would be a better farmer than my uncle.

#GoatRanch2021?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: April 03, 2020, 09:06:48 PM »
growing up we just called it Silage, which i now see is apparently Forage Sorghum Silage. As i got older, Corn Silage became more popular for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:37:03 PM by WillieWatanabe »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles