Author Topic: Freedom of speech? Not for you ivory tower lib profs, but you're okay coach  (Read 7188 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's just ridiculous.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I agree. When a professor sends out a tweet calling for the slaughtering of children of NRA members, he/she should def be allowed to use their title.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I agree. When a professor sends out a tweet calling for the slaughtering of children of NRA members, he/she should def be allowed to use their title.

Yes, absolutely.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Good way to sap authority from sources of any given article.   I mean, wgaf if some rando provides a quote on any given subject, but if a prof of econ is cited in an article on Sam's dumbass tax ideas, then Sam has more blowback to worry about.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
America, freedom hating republicans

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Ridiculous. I don't think this could pass the high courts.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Members of government should not be allowed to use their titles either then
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Good way to sap authority from sources of any given article.   I mean, wgaf if some rando provides a quote on any given subject, but if a prof of econ is cited in an article on Sam's dumbass tax ideas, then Sam has more blowback to worry about.

Totally. When "David Guth" tweets "blood is on the hands of the #NRA. Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters" I'm all like wgaf? :dunno: But when "Associate Professor of Journalism David Guth" tweets it I for one sit up and take notice! :runaway:

Srsly though - I'm not sure what's funnier, the stupidity of this bill or how outraged the libtards get over such a stupid bill.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think job title is fair game but if you mention the institution you work for then your workplace should be able to dictate their own policy.  That should go for someone working at a gas station same as someone working at K-State.

K-S-U cracks me up: "Freedom of speech for state employees?  Who cares, doesn't matter."  "THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE THE KOCH BROTHERS FREEDOM OF SPEECH, OMG! TYRANNY!!!"

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Freedom of speech? Not for you ivory tower lib profs, but you're okay coach
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »
I think job title is fair game but if you mention the institution you work for then your workplace should be able to dictate their own policy.  That should go for someone working at a gas station same as someone working at K-State.

K-S-U cracks me up: "Freedom of speech for state employees?  Who cares, doesn't matter."  "THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE THE KOCH BROTHERS FREEDOM OF SPEECH, OMG! TYRANNY!!!"

I don't think I ever said anything like that about the Kochs. I have noted, on several occasions, how strange it is that the libtards have turned the Kochs into conservative bogeymen when they're actual libertarians. They have the same views on crony capitalism as the OWS crowd.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »

I don't think I ever said anything like that about the Kochs. I have noted, on several occasions, how strange it is that the libtards have turned the Kochs into conservative bogeymen when they're actual libertarians. They have the same views on crony capitalism as the OWS crowd.

For all the money the Kochs spend in conveying messages, they really don't do a very good job of letting people know where they stand.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »
http://cjonline.com/news/2015-02-05/legislation-bans-professors-using-titles-newspaper-columns

newspapers are tools of the devil and liberals.

Seems extremely thin skinned. Surprised the libtards don't support it. They love to crush freedom of speech (see the irs, citizens united, fairness doctrine, etc. etc.)
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:02 PM »

I could gaf,  but you have def made the direct comparison of campaign contribution to freedom of speech.  More than once. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
Have you guys seen "Hillary: The Movie"?  Probably not, because freedom of speech is only for democrats.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Have you guys seen "Hillary: The Movie"?  Probably not, because freedom of speech is only for democrats.

Is that the biographical movie for CNN that was cancelled because republicans were pissed?  Seems like it was 'pubs stomping on freedom of speech there too.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »

Is that the biographical movie for CNN that was cancelled because republicans were pissed?  Seems like it was 'pubs stomping on freedom of speech there too.

If you think CNN is citiznes united, and Hillary is a pissed of pub, then yes

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »

If you think CNN is citiznes united, and Hillary is a pissed of pub, then yes

Seems 6 of one half a dozen of the other when the 'pubs got a documentary and mini-series on her cancelled

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »
Virgil Peck is a disgusting racist.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 11:21:02 PM »

I could gaf,  but you have def made the direct comparison of campaign contribution to freedom of speech.  More than once.

Oh sure, I definitely believe that. I don't think I've ever made that point specifically about the Kochs, but I do agree that freedom of speech includes freedom to spend money on speech.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 08:20:12 AM »
If an institution at it's sole discretion wants to have a policy, then that's fine and to be hashed out internally at the institution.

Why does there need to be legislation?   

I also concur that if non real world living academics want to take the time in between planning their next sabbatical to tweet out absurdities . . . then by all means let them do it and worry about the ramifications after-the-fact.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 09:39:13 AM »
Professors do not speak for the university in such statements.  Its okay if they clearly state its their opinion and they don't represent the school.  Second this should be handled by an internal school policy not a law that can be screwed up by a court or regulator.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »
If an institution at it's sole discretion wants to have a policy, then that's fine and to be hashed out internally at the institution.

Why does there need to be legislation?   

I also concur that if non real world living academics want to take the time in between planning their next sabbatical to tweet out absurdities . . . then by all means let them do it and worry about the ramifications after-the-fact.

Never would have guessed Dax was so anti-intelligence. Sad, really.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Guys, it's totally okay for corporations and the wealthy to engage in free speech and make campaign donations and form PACs, as long as they are democrats.  When conservatives get into the mix, the speech must be outlawed. This is what true free speech is.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »
In a neo-fascist police state