Author Topic: Are you "Upper Middle Class"?  (Read 37906 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Are you "Upper Middle Class"?
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
There should be a way for the public to sue the federal government for wasting or negligently spending tax dollars. Something similar to what utilities have to go through to raise their rates.  There could be some advocate general or something elected by the public or appointed by the scotus or something.

The advocate general would just be a hack tho

I envisioned some slick class action attorney. Obviously he'd get a percent of the judgment.  With  $4 trillion budget and egregious waste in the billions, I think we'd attract some talent.

:love:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »
You were right, Rusty - I "only" paid about 35% of my gross income in taxes this year! :Woohoo: That's federal, state, SS, MC, real property, cars, nanny, and estimated sales tax. Not included:
1. The 7.65% of our wages that our employers have to pay for SS/MC, and that could otherwise be paid to us.
2. All the taxes passed along to me by businesses in the form of higher prices, which I have no idea how to calculate (but I'm sure some smart people have written books/articles on it).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:54 AM »
You were right, Rusty - I "only" paid about 35% of my gross income in taxes this year! :Woohoo: That's federal, state, SS, MC, real property, cars, nanny, and estimated sales tax. Not included:
1. The 7.65% of our wages that our employers have to pay for SS/MC, and that could otherwise be paid to us.
2. All the taxes passed along to me by businesses in the form of higher prices, which I have no idea how to calculate (but I'm sure some smart people have written books/articles on it).
I would take out transactional taxes,  that would up the poors tax percentages.  10% sales tax for poors is like 10 % of their actual income.  10% for Henry's who spend within their means is less than 2%. 

Just trying to help you skew your stats!

Edit: I'm  not looking it up, but, i have read research saying salary is set with tax factored in intrinsically.  the only people who have much of a gripe are small business owners. 

Also, i do think taxing methods in general needs to be changed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:37:35 AM by Jabeez »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »
KSUW-

What level of taxation do you think would be acceptable and also provide all of the things you want out of government as well?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
I'm rarely wrong

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2015, 01:09:23 PM »
KSUW-

What level of taxation do you think would be acceptable and also provide all of the things you want out of government as well?

I'm thinking a flat tax on everyone of 10% (true tax - get rid of deductions and credits) to the Feds seems about right. Maybe another 10-15% to state/local government.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
KSUW-

I'm thinking a flat tax on everyone of 10% (true tax - get rid of deductions and credits) to the Feds seems about right. Maybe another 10-15% to state/local government.

That's not too far from what you're paying now (unless you're eliminating property taxes?) It would probably raise the effective tax rate on most people.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
KSUW-

Income?  Consumption?

My biggest problem with consumption is
1) how we've designed our economy around consumption
2) is regressive unless you really game it and then you start back up with all the lobbying for deductions
3) probably creates black markets

I think it would be a mistake to eliminate property taxes too.  I think philosophically income, property and consumption are the most important to tax as you want to encourage capital to seek out entrepreneurs.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »
KSUW-

That's not too far from what you're paying now (unless you're eliminating property taxes?) It would probably raise the effective tax rate on most people.

It's quite possible that he could achieve a cumulative rate of 25 percent now too since there is quite a bit of discretion involved in several of the taxes he mentioned, it just wouldn't be in the proportions he desires.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
KSUW-

By "state/local" I'm including property taxes.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »

Why are you paying a nanny tax?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »

Because I employ a nanny and pay her legally.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

You mean you pay her withholding?  Because that's her tax burden, not yours

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »

fica, I'm guessing

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »
Seems like that should be a 1099 thing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2015, 06:30:38 PM »
It's a real big mystery how someone can be financially savvy enough to do their taxes as early as possible yet still be strapped for cash.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »

Is this a serious question?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
Shouldn't the nanny be self employed and you are a customer?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Man taxes are complicated. Let's get to work on this.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »
Looks like my common sense solution is tax evasion.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »
The IRS doesn't like it when you try and pay full time workers as "contractors", you guys.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »
All this red tape is enough to make a guy want to raise his own kids :curse:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »

Is this a serious question?

Describe your nanny tax