Author Topic: Quadratic Voting  (Read 2408 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Quadratic Voting
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »
You can only be passionate if you are rich tho, great system  :jerk:

That was my initial reaction as well, but then I decided to apply a level of consideration consistent with an individual in possession of the proper number and quality of chromosomal pairs and realized that that would not be the outcome at all.

I mean, 50,000 votes would cost $2,500,000,000.  How much do you think it costs to influence 50,000 votes, currently?  Far far less, and I think you would agree.  Jesus Christ, lib^7, exactly how many chromosomes are you lugging around?

Yup, the solution would be to force more money into politics!

There would be a market clearing effect, true, true true.  Those of us who live in Realville accept the fact that money influences elections.  However, this system actually gives the less-capitalized entities more power than the current system.  1,000,000 voters who spend $9 each generate 3,000,000 votes.  Just now I tried to calculate how much money an evil corporation would have to spend to equal that number of votes, and my brain turned into a vat of spaghetti-0s.

http://www.social2.com/mouth-watery-spaghettios-pizza-recipe-that-will-urge-you-to-cheat-your-gym-workout/

Thread MERGE!

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=3524.1500
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »
a rich person who cared could give many similar minded people money to vote thus increasing his votes without paying the quadratic costs

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »
this is one of those online scam bidding sites. just so you all know.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
this is one of those online scam bidding sites. just so you all know.
Forgot about those! Ha!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
You can only be passionate if you are rich tho, great system  :jerk:

That was my initial reaction as well, but then I decided to apply a level of consideration consistent with an individual in possession of the proper number and quality of chromosomal pairs and realized that that would not be the outcome at all.

I mean, 50,000 votes would cost $2,500,000,000.  How much do you think it costs to influence 50,000 votes, currently?  Far far less, and I think you would agree.  Jesus Christ, lib^7, exactly how many chromosomes are you lugging around?

50,000 votes in the normal system is not equal to 50,000 votes in the quadratic system though, right? The quadratic system would have more votes than people (potentially) so the same number of votes would be a smaller percentage of the total votes. I'm just saying you can't really compare directly by comparing the cost of a certain number of votes.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »
-b +/- (b^2 -4ac)^1/2
-------------------------
             2a

suck it, mrs hansen, i remember!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »
wait, so you're telling me...that under this system, I alone would not be able to assert my influence on policy without a tremendous amount of wealth.  But, if I could recruit 2 like minded people, and then they in turn each recruit 2 like minded people...