Author Topic: Booyah!  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Booyah!
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
Just got e-mailed a fundraising idea.

I was kicking around a non profit fundraising idea for K-State and wanted to get some input.

Here's the basic idea. We would set up a site at www.SomeName.org (or maybe through the KSU Foundation's current site?) that would be roughly similar to GPC in structure (article side and message board side), though completely different in content (it would be a philanthropy site, not a sports site). The site would have a membership fee of $10/month, of which $5 would go to an 'immediate philanthropy' fund and the other $5 would go to a special venture fund. Note that 100% of the 'fee' (which is really a philanthropic donation) would be passed on.

Each month the members would vote on who/what should receive the 'immediate philanthropy' fund (it could be spent on anything that is KSU-related). Members would be free to nominate and argue for philanthropic causes/recipients they'd like the group to select, but each member would get only one vote. This 'immediate philanthropy' fund would be a way of giving boosters and donors (who already want to and do give tons of money to the university and its Foundation) another way to give. The low cost might also open up the possibility of signing up a lot of students who normally wouldn't donate money to K-State. I think students (and other K-Staters with small budgets) would appreciate having a direct say (via the site's message board) and vote in where the money goes.

The remaining half of the money would accumulate in a special venture fund. Ideally we would sponsor a special quarterly (at worst, annual) business plan competition for KSU students/alumni and enlist KSU professors as judges. Proceeds from these investments would be divvied up, with half going to the 'immediate philanthropy' fund and half going to the venture fund. [Note that this is an attempt to create a positive feedback loop: as more and more business plan winners receive funding and launch their endeavors, more value would be created for the venture fund (unless all of them crashed and burned), which would then result in larger and larger amounts of funding for each period's business plan competition, etc.]

If we could amass 10,000 members, we would be able to give a $50,000 'immediate philanthropy' grant each month while also accumulating $150,000 for the special venture fund each quarter just from membership fees. Early on, these fees would account for almost all of the philanthropic funds. Down the road, however, earnings from the venture funding activities should catch and eventually dwarf the earnings from membership fees. The venture arm gives us the chance to generate billions in funding for K-State. To get a sense of the long-term potential, imagine the magnitude and consistency of earnings from having, say, a 10% stake in 1,000 different companies, all of whom had won lucrative and highly competitive business plan contests. (Many of the startups would surely fail, but there would be a very large number of survivors, too.)

The site's articles would be primarily about 4 things:

1) Stories and updates about current and past recipients of the 'immediate philanthropy' grants;

2) Stories and updates about the business plan winners who receive venture funding;

3) Stories about potential recipients of the 'immediate philanthropy' grants;

4) General K-State philanthropy news

Like I say, this is just an idea I've been kicking around. My thinking is that the 'immediate philanthropy' grants would satisfy an urge for instant gratification and keep interest level high, whereas the venture side would provide a mechanism for achieving high top-end results, thereby at least giving us a chance at catching up to schools like UT in the endowment department (theirs is currently about 20 times larger than ours).

Any of you wish something like this existed?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Booyah!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »
i'm hungry for pizza.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:50:44 AM »
SomeName is a much better business name than Booyah! or Pink Taco so at least it's progress 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »
I already tried that and it failed miserably.  I hope he can make it work. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »
This is a nice progression.

Idea for a philanthropic university,
Idea for a philanthropic pizza place,
Idea for a philanthropic grocery delivery service,
Idea for a philanthropic website,
Idea that dropping out of UT Austin was a bad life decision?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
This is a nice progression.

Idea for a philanthropic university,
Idea for a philanthropic pizza place,
Idea for a philanthropic grocery delivery service,
Idea for a philanthropic website,
Idea that dropping out of UT Austin was a bad life decision?

Also had the Idea for a possibly philanthropic bar named after a low brow nickname for a vagina

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline prome05

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
I think Booyah! has failed to realize is that his best business idea would be to find a way to make money off of his horrible business ideas. Maybe people would pay $10 a month ($5 goes to K-State [imagine if he had 10,000 members {that's be $50,000 a month!}]), to read his horrible ideas?

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
I would vote on the airplane banners to fire snyder/cosh/whoever...

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
I am 12 and what the eff is this

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
lol

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
I am going to ask BSAC to sue that idea.  HAHAHAHA

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
MOOYAH!

http://blogs.kansas.com/haveyouheard/2011/01/18/mooyah-hamburger-chain-coming-to-wichita/

:drool:
Good burger, crap fries. Location is good awful.

I didn't think it was even in business anymore. Too bad they couldn't hold on until the Cows craze took off.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »
about that...   http://www.kansas.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/carrie-rengers/article84372877.html

Damn, they were sitting on a gold mine that was about to explode in just a few months.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile