Author Topic: 2011 96 team field Bracketology  (Read 12524 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 96 team field Bracketology
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »
Everything you're saying is completely subjective.

No it isn't.  I can find a ton of rankings that would show that the 32 teams that would be added are better than about 20 automatic bids every year.   I'm not discussing magic or sorcery here, sugar dick.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2010, 06:50:12 PM »
i like how michigancat makes sugar dick seem stupid by ending all of his posts with ", sugar dick".
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Sugar Dick

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

No it isn't.  I can find a ton of rankings that would show that the 32 teams that would be added are better than about 20 automatic bids every year.   I'm not discussing magic or sorcery here, sugar dick.

So your prob is with the auto bids, got it.  Makes total sense, and doesn't water down the tourney at all, to add 32 teams to smother those unworthy automatic bids.

For instance, when your house gets termites its best to just add more wood.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
i like how michigancat makes sugar dick seem stupid by ending all of his posts with ", sugar dick".

nice observation, sys

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »

So your prob is with the auto bids, got it.  Makes total sense, and doesn't water down the tourney at all, to add 32 teams to smother those unworthy automatic bids.

Are you saying the current tournament has the magic number of termites?  Oh, Sugar Dick.  :nono:

Sugar Dick

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »

So your prob is with the auto bids, got it.  Makes total sense, and doesn't water down the tourney at all, to add 32 teams to smother those unworthy automatic bids.

Are you saying the current tournament has the magic number of termites?  Oh, Sugar Dick.  :nono:

Maybe we should just use your "tons of rankings" to pick the teams.  Scrap conferences bids/tournaments, and then computer simulate a tournament to find a winner.  How's that sound?

michigan cat  :peek:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »

Maybe we should just use your "tons of rankings" to pick the teams.  Scrap conferences bids/tournaments, and then computer simulate a tournament to find a winner.  How's that sound?

I'd rather a computer pick the teams for a tournament.  How many teams would generate the maximum amount of mysticism, Sugar Dick?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
computer simulate a tournament to find a winner.  How's that sound?

would be the fairest way, and would add tons of drama/importance to the regular season and conf. tourneys.  but it fails on the revenue generating side of things.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
This will never work

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
I guess its all about how you look at it, and at this point it seems silly to complain b/c this is no longer an "if" question, its a "when" question.  IMHO, if its going to happen, lets get it going next year so we can all get adjusted to the change.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by just typing this.  No need to rationalize a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) decision by the NCAA if you're just gonna roll with it.

BTW, we need an emoticon of a smiley bent over, with another smiley f*cking it from behind
I guess its all about how you look at it, and at this point it seems silly to complain b/c this is no longer an "if" question, its a "when" question.  IMHO, if its going to happen, lets get it going next year so we can all get adjusted to the change.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by just typing this.  No need to rationalize a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) decision by the NCAA if you're just gonna roll with it.

BTW, we need an emoticon of a smiley bent over, with another smiley f*cking it from behind

Sugar Dick

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »

:love:

I'd rather a computer pick the teams for a tournament.  How many teams would generate the maximum amount of mysticism, Sugar Dick?

MichiCat, that sounds sweet, why don't you give the BCS a call and set that up, they'll be able to calculate the requisite mysticism no problem.  You can rent a skid loader or maybe a barge to haul your "tons of rankings" over to them.  :driving:

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
i'm completely on board with expansion if teams weren't allowed to hang a banner for making the tourney until they reached the round of 64.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
I support the expansion because I oppose weak automatic bid teams making the tournament. I'd prefer a 64-team field based solely on RPI or another more sophisticated algorithm like Sagarin or Pomeroy or Greenfield. But a good compromise is seeing most of the weak sub-64 RPI teams get beat in the first round.

In the past the first round has been boring (except for occasional upsets) because the matchups have been so extremely lopsided. Now the first round will be more competitive and interesting to watch, and so will the round of 64. Any sub-64 RPI teams that make it to the second round will actually deserve it because they had to beat good teams.

I'm also glad to see the NIT folded into the NCAA. It just clogged up the airwaves for a meaningless NIT trophy. Now those games will count toward something important.

stunz

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
eff it.  lets just bcs this crap.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
that looks awesome.  can't wait a year for this to happen.   :driving:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
CBS TV deal to be announced in a bit.  Well CBS and now TBS.  810 guys saying TBS will eventually get the Final 4/Champ game every other year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »
TBS will eventually get the Final 4/Champ game every other year

:rolleyes:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
Tweets from John Ourand (??):

ESPN: 'Our combo of TV, digital, season-long coverage & year-round marketing would have served interests of NCAA and fans very well."
5 minutes ago via web

Deal terms: TBS will carry Final 4 and Championship game on even number years starting in 2016.
16 minutes ago via web

Source: NCAA committed to expansion, but won't commit to a specific number today. Could be 68 or 96. Ultimately, it will prob be 96 though.
32 minutes ago via web

Not sure if tournament expansion will be part of today's NCAA/CBS/Turner announcement or not.
43 minutes ago via web

NCAA press conference scheduled for 12:30 to announce new 14-year deal with CBS and Turner for the NCAA Tourney.
44 minutes ago via web

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
Tourney expanding to 68 teams, safe from 96-team field for time being

:whew:
 :bball:

Man.  I've been amping myself up for 96 and am kind of disappointed with this.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:41 AM »

LOVE it. There are usually three extra teams that are on the bubble that deserve in.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 11:25:29 AM »

Man.  I've been amping myself up for 96 and am kind of disappointed with this.

me too.  Hopefully by the time we are back to full on sucking it will get to 96 so we can have a bubble watch at the end of the season

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »
They should just raise the # of teams every few years to not piss off tards.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
sucks.  was looking forward to another round of meaningful games and a more competitive round of 64  :flush:

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 11:41:11 AM »
They should just raise the # of teams every few years to not piss off tards.

This is what will keep happening.  We now have four "play-in" games.  Within another 6 years it will go up to 8.  Then 16.  Then 32.  And so on.

This current news is a win-win-win for WRFF.  CBS basically keeps the thing (they won't muck it up like ESPN would), the tournament keeps its "eliteness" factor, and I get more games to boot.  Good times.   :cheers:
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer