Author Topic: not just missouri, best to avoid all cops  (Read 178413 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: not just missouri, best to avoid all cops
« Reply #1950 on: April 21, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: April 21, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »
They started with the "jury made that decision because they would sacrifice good guy Chauvin for the greater good and avoid riots" but have now pivoted to "string Chauvin up!"

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: April 21, 2021, 08:15:40 PM »
Anyone here have a problem with the cop in Columbus, Ohio shooting that black teenage girl?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 21, 2021, 08:29:06 PM »
cops in most metros make a crap ton of money.  i don't know where the myth that they're underpaid comes from.  police from the middle of buttfuck nowhere, i guess.  i'm sure that the minneapolis police are not underpaid.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 21, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »
Anyone here have a problem with the cop in Columbus, Ohio shooting that black teenage girl?

Yeah definitely. But it's one of those like 95% of people (or at least white people) are OK with.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: April 21, 2021, 08:37:23 PM »

Yeah definitely. But it's one of those like 95% of people (or at least white people) are OK with.
What’s the solution to knife wielders? Some kind of non-lethal incapacitator/taser?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 21, 2021, 08:39:17 PM »

What’s the solution to knife wielders? Some kind of non-lethal incapacitator/taser?

I don't know, what does like the entire rest of the world do?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: April 21, 2021, 08:48:08 PM »

Not have the Second Amendment, mostly. I think this is one of those "lawful but awful" scenarios that the Chauvin defense was trying to piggyback off of. In my perfect world, like yours, cops wouldn't carry guns. But they have to, because everyone has guns. In this scenario, I guess he could have tried to bum rush and tackle the knife wielder, but if that was not possible, it's kind of tough to say he should let the knife wielder stab the other girl one or more times until the cop could (hopefully) physically restrain the knife wielder. That said, I don't think we need to be training cops to shoot to kill every single time. Sometimes less is more.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: April 21, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »

I watched a video today where a white teenager stabbed a cop in the neck then ran off. The cop, while bleeding from his neck, tazed and cuffed the kid.

We have no idea if that girl was actually going to stab that other girl, I do know she's dead though. I don't know what the right answer is here, but I do reject the notion that lethal force is all that could have been done. I don't even know why cops carry tazers if shooting to kill at any even sense of danger is acceptable.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:47 PM »

Not have the Second Amendment, mostly. I think this is one of those "lawful but awful" scenarios that the Chauvin defense was trying to piggyback off of. In my perfect world, like yours, cops wouldn't carry guns. But they have to, because everyone has guns. In this scenario, I guess he could have tried to bum rush and tackle the knife wielder, but if that was not possible, it's kind of tough to say he should let the knife wielder stab the other girl one or more times until the cop could (hopefully) physically restrain the knife wielder. That said, I don't think we need to be training cops to shoot to kill every single time. Sometimes less is more.

The second amendment shouldn't impact how cops deal with knife wielders.

But I don't think cops need guns for most of what they're asked to do, just based on the possibility that someone they interact with might have a gun. (I also think cops are asked to do a lot of things they shouldn't be asked to do.)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: April 21, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »
That's great CNS, I'm down with all of it except for "more money." However, I don't think you mean to give them more money but want more of the money they have to be utilized better.

Maybe.  What I mean is that salaries should be higher, at least in some areas.  I look at cops like I do teachers.  If pay is low and conditions are bad, you are only really attracting those who either feel a calling by a profession, or don't have good other options.  Those who feel a calling don't make up near enough of a quantity to fill the jobs.  Raise salaries to attract better candidates, train better and much more often, and fire early.   I don't know what the budget structure of a standard precinct is, but unless a whole crap load of money is not going to cop salaries, then I do mean more money. 

They need to get rid of military gear too.  If you want to soldier, go join the army.  Policing isn't LARPing and that crap needs to get screened out.

Average salary for a Des Moines police officer is $65,000. There are some regular ass beat cops making around $100,000. The chief is around $200,000.

The average salary for an Iowan with a bachelor's degree is $48,000. How much more do the cops need to make? Safe to say the investments in the police nationwide, is leading to diminishing returns.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
not just missouri, best to avoid all cops
« Reply #1961 on: April 21, 2021, 09:41:18 PM »
Cops certainly should have tazed the girl.

There was zero reason to pull a gun when a taser was available.

All those adults standing around not trying to break it up is insane to me as well

There’s got to be better rules of engagement

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: April 21, 2021, 10:35:18 PM »

I beg to differ, cops are taught to shoot a suspect in the knee or shoulder.  The knee to stop a charge or flee, shoulder of suspect side with weapon.  Personally told by cops at our safety meetings.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: April 21, 2021, 10:44:45 PM »
I think cops should have non lethal bullets.  The velocity and type of material the bullet is constructed from should be an consideration of police issue for the streets.  Believe it or not, rubber bullets can cause injury depending on body location.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: April 21, 2021, 11:51:41 PM »

All those adults standing around not trying to break it up is insane to me as well

also I just watched the full video and the cop could have tackled her from behind easily but reached for his gun instead. Also there were 4 cops there

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: April 22, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
I think cops should have non lethal bullets.  The velocity and type of material the bullet is constructed from should be an consideration of police issue for the streets.  Believe it or not, rubber bullets can cause injury depending on body location.
I think I would be in favor of this as long as people didn't get shot in the head.  Getting shot in the body should be enough to make anyone rethink what they are doing.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 22, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »

also I just watched the full video and the cop could have tackled her from behind easily but reached for his gun instead. Also there were 4 cops there

Are warning shots frowned upon?  One would think firing a couple shots in the air would get some attention and the girl would be on the ground with the knife dropped immediately.  But I guess what goes up (i.e. bullets) must come down.

What about trying to shoot a calf instead? 

Seems like there were other options.  The cop could have easily missed and hit a couple of the bystandards in the background.

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 22, 2021, 03:49:59 PM »
Maybe if he'd done something non lethal both girls would be alive, maybe not.  But people on this board/social media speaking confidently about what police officers should do in life threatening situations that they themselves have never experienced is extremely silly.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 22, 2021, 03:52:49 PM »
Maybe if he'd done something non lethal both girls would be alive, maybe not.  But people on this board/social media speaking confidently about what police officers should do in life threatening situations that they themselves have never experienced is extremely silly.
I don't blame the cop, I blame the entire system - how they are trained and what they're asked to do. There's a good chance I'd do the exact same thing he did in the situation.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 22, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
I’ve always heard police are trained to use deadly force if the gun is drawn and that’s fine

But the rules for engagement/use of that force has to change.

Walking up to two teenagers fighting with a cadre of police should immediately signal that guns aren’t needed.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
Here's what other people are saying.   I'm sure the usual suspects will lose their crap as always because I posted an article about what some witnesses are saying.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9500075/MaKhia-Bryants-neighbor-says-security-camera-footage-shows-cop-no-choice-shoot-her.html

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 22, 2021, 08:52:14 PM »
At least he kept it gender neutral

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »
I’ve always heard police are trained to use deadly force if the gun is drawn and that’s fine

But the rules for engagement/use of that force has to change.

Walking up to two teenagers fighting with a cadre of police should immediately signal that guns aren’t needed.

If a knife is drawn, I don't have much problem with that person getting shot.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 23, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »
I mean it seems like a great time for the tazer