Author Topic: Official Better Call Saul thread  (Read 35682 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Better Call Saul thread
« Reply #450 on: August 11, 2022, 06:56:13 AM »
ha yeah, i know they've gotta do something tie in-wise but could sorta do without the pinkman/walter fan service stuff, idgaf

What bothers me is there are like 100 episodes of Saul and Walter White and Jesse. We don't need the "lost tapes" lol. Both of those scenes were just so cringey.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 14, 2022, 04:32:09 PM »
It was clear they just wanted to get people to mention the scene with Walt and Jesse on Twitter so they could get a couple more viewers.

The last 3 episodes have confirmed what I was worried about, which is that the origin stories of Mike and Gus are the reason the show has been so great. The scams that Jimmy/Saul pull are really fun, but outside of those, the Saul storyline is pretty boring.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2022, 02:28:03 AM »
I've really enjoyed the last few episodes and I didn't even watch BB. I wasn't bothered or confused by Walter and Jesse's scenes.

The only thing I didn't like was how Gus killed Lalo, that was really stupid, and then the scene with Gus, Eladio, and Hector, equally stupid. Could they not write a more believable way for Gus to beat the Salamancas?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 15, 2022, 04:24:59 AM »
I'll defend the writers' decision on that, but it's related to BB (spoilers ahead).

Gus has an inflated self esteem because of a lucky shot that killed his antithesis, and I think it's intentionally written to be like Walt's inflated self esteem based on something comparable. In BCS it was a much less glorious death of the antagonist to really drive the point home, but it seems very intentionally related to the way the protagonist kills his biggest enemy in BB.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 15, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »
I'll defend the writers' decision on that, but it's related to BB (spoilers ahead).

Gus has an inflated self esteem because of a lucky shot that killed his antithesis, and I think it's intentionally written to be like Walt's inflated self esteem based on something comparable. In BCS it was a much less glorious death of the antagonist to really drive the point home, but it seems very intentionally related to the way the protagonist kills his biggest enemy in BB.

I do know how Gus dies in BB. What you described is far too smart for me, my mind is far too basic to fathom that.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 15, 2022, 01:15:15 PM »
I've really enjoyed the last few episodes and I didn't even watch BB. I wasn't bothered or confused by Walter and Jesse's scenes.

The only thing I didn't like was how Gus killed Lalo, that was really stupid, and then the scene with Gus, Eladio, and Hector, equally stupid. Could they not write a more believable way for Gus to beat the Salamancas?

There was literal fire in Gus eyes when he looked at Hector during that scene.

Bravo, Vince.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 15, 2022, 09:57:19 PM »
Bravo, Vince
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 15, 2022, 10:09:29 PM »
Very good finale.  Jimmy and Kim sharing one last cigarette.  That's about as close to a happy ending as this show could give.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 15, 2022, 11:47:00 PM »
Interesting watch for someone who didn't see BB.
-i spent this entire series wondering about Mike's daughter in law and his granddaughter. Do they have a role and resolution in BB or do they just exist to seemingly humanize Mike?
-They gave a big time spoiler about Walter White on tonight's finale and it was 100% unnecessary.
-Until Kim was introduced to the finale in the last 20 minutes, all of the things discussed were about things he did on BB. He didn't have any charges related to anything we saw on BCS.
-Was the bus ride to prison scene related to something on BB?
-Why did Howard's widow call Kim? I didn't get that at all.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 17, 2022, 08:10:33 AM »
I have a hard time having sympathy for BCS having Breaking Bad spoilers. I can be talked out of that take.

I see the frustration in the things he was being charged for only occurring on Breaking Bad, but obviously those are insane things to have done and outside of robbing that store they are way more recent than anything they showed in Better Call Saul.

The bus ride thing was very strange. I definitely thought it was going to lead to the prisoners getting the bus to stop and Saul having a plan to get them all free. I definitely did not see it going in a way that redeemed Saul to some extent.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 17, 2022, 09:26:32 AM »
No one should feel bad about the spoiler on it's own, the show has been off the air for nearly a decade. It's the fact that spent all these episodes providing no spoilers at all, then on the last episode they gave what I'd assume is the biggest spoiler, on a throwaway line, it was sloppy. Jimmy could have easily said "Jesse Pinkman is still out there" leaving some mystery, to those who haven't seen the show, about what happened to Walter. Did he become a snitch, is he in jail, is he dead?

I'm going to watch BB, hopefully, someday.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 17, 2022, 09:29:28 AM »

:love: i missed Stevesie BB analysis

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 17, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »

:love: i missed Stevesie BB analysis

Jerome Tang was a great hire!

(that's just a hilarious joke about thinking you meant "basketball analysis" when you clearly meant "Breaking Bad analysis")

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2022, 08:23:26 PM »
ok finally watching the finale. why on earth was hank's wife at that thing lmao

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2022, 09:20:34 PM »
OMG the bus scene was the corniest scene ever

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2022, 09:24:11 PM »
Holy crap the orange cigarette, what dorks

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 24, 2022, 10:43:20 PM »
ok finally watching the finale. why on earth was hank's wife at that thing lmao

Right!

Right!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2022, 11:14:08 PM »

Yeah. I thought he was gonna get jumped. But then it just turned out to be kids on the bus to summer camp.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 25, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
Yes to all of michigancat's comments. I had an audible reaction to the Sin City-esque lit cigarette.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 26, 2022, 06:31:21 AM »
I'll admit that I liked how he redeemed himself at the end in a small Albuquerque courtroom. Got some good showmanship in his natural habitat but turned a corner even if it landed him in prison for way longer.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2022, 07:06:18 AM »
Yes to all of michigancat's comments. I had an audible reaction to the Sin City-esque lit cigarette.
If you're going to try to pull that corny crap, why not do it with his suit in the courtroom???? The cigarette was the worst intersection of goofball-y and arty film school crap but at least a colored suit would have been full on campy and fun.