Author Topic: Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 52828 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
I think the ranking of coaching destinations is heavily dependent on where the coach is from and has recruiting ties to. Somebody from Big 10 country probably would rank Ohio State and Michigan 1 and 2. If you aren't from the area, the Michigan job sucks. Even Rich Rod couldn't win there.

I've been thinking about this, and I kind of disagree (although I used to agree). I think the ability to recruit travels with you. Yes, it's nice to have certain ties to an area, but if you're coaching at OSU or Michigan and know how to handle HS coaches and kids, you'll have instant credibility anywhere you go in the region. I think of the success Urban had in Florida and what a guy like Jim Mora's done at UCLA and think you just need to know what you're doing means more than where you're doing it. The jobs that are top jobs are top jobs largely because they have easy access to gobs recruits, (and is really the biggest factor keeping UNL down).

I could be wrong, though. :dunno:

I think you are probably right about the truly elite coaches like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. There aren't more than 5-6 of those coaches in existence, though. I think fit is very important for most coaches out there. I'm certainly no expert, though.

What about Jim Mora at UCLA? Jim Harbaugh at Stanford? Rich Rod at Arizona? (I know you mentioned him as a failure going to Michigan, but WVU and UM should really overlap quite a bit when it comes to recruiting territory - IMO he had other issues). (It's also hard to think of coaches who go to a new region at all, much less successfully).

don't know, it's interesting to think about.

Jim Mora's father coached at UCLA and Washington, and he played football at Washington, so he was at least somewhat familiar with the west coast high school football landscape before taking the job.

I don't know why Rich Rod failed at Michigan. I thought he was a home run hire. It doesn't make much sense how somebody could have so much success at WVU and Arizona and so little at Michigan. Maybe he just needs a smaller spotlight. I don't think LHC Bill Snyder would have as much success as he has had at a "better" football job.

I think Harbaugh is probably just an elite coach. I think he would compete for Big 12 titles at KU.

Mora hadn't been a college coach at all, though. His dad was a coach at UCLA for one year. I really don't think going to college in Washington had any effect at all on his ability to recruit to UCLA.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
Mora's body of work as a college coach is still pretty small, and we have no evidence to show if he would be better or worse coaching at a program in a different region. :dunno:

Also, playing for Washington wouldn't make UCLA easier to recruit to, but it would make the UCLA job more attractive to Mora than it would be if he had played football on the east coast.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2014, 05:17:40 PM »
I think the ranking of coaching destinations is heavily dependent on where the coach is from and has recruiting ties to. Somebody from Big 10 country probably would rank Ohio State and Michigan 1 and 2. If you aren't from the area, the Michigan job sucks. Even Rich Rod couldn't win there.

I've been thinking about this, and I kind of disagree (although I used to agree). I think the ability to recruit travels with you. Yes, it's nice to have certain ties to an area, but if you're coaching at OSU or Michigan and know how to handle HS coaches and kids, you'll have instant credibility anywhere you go in the region. I think of the success Urban had in Florida and what a guy like Jim Mora's done at UCLA and think you just need to know what you're doing means more than where you're doing it. The jobs that are top jobs are top jobs largely because they have easy access to gobs recruits, (and is really the biggest factor keeping UNL down).

I could be wrong, though. :dunno:

I think you are probably right about the truly elite coaches like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. There aren't more than 5-6 of those coaches in existence, though. I think fit is very important for most coaches out there. I'm certainly no expert, though.

What about Jim Mora at UCLA? Jim Harbaugh at Stanford? Rich Rod at Arizona? (I know you mentioned him as a failure going to Michigan, but WVU and UM should really overlap quite a bit when it comes to recruiting territory - IMO he had other issues). (It's also hard to think of coaches who go to a new region at all, much less successfully).

don't know, it's interesting to think about.

What do you think RichRod's issues were?

Didn't tailor his offense to suit the players already there, hired Greg Robinson to be his DC, was an bad person. He had some great recruiting classes, though.

I found his failure to be inexplicable.  It looked like such an amazing hire.  When it happened I was all welp they did it right.  Basically the opposite of what I thought when they hired Hoke.  Ballsy and cutting-edge. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
Let's go get him if he's good. It's Chris Clark :dunno:

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Miami is a dogshit job. The only positive they have is the recruiting area. I think the only worst jobs in the big 5 conferences in the states of Florida, Texas, and California are TCU and Cal. Miami has no facilities, not only do they play in an empty NFL stadium but their on=campus practice and workout facilities are horrendous. There past isn't even all that because their administration shies away from it. There are incredible expectations but without all of the benefits of having incredible expectations. No facilities, no money, no support, a new incoming president, and massive expectations from a vocal but cheap fan base. No thanks.

I think its a better job than Texas Tech

:ROFL: I completely forgot about them. Yeah, you're right even though Tech has better facilities

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Not to mention miami is all worried about becoming dirty and cocainey and camo-ey again.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
Is Art Briles a candidate for any of these openings?
No one's looking for coaches that are already getting over 4 mil a yr.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »

The Big Train

« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
Let's go get him if he's good. It's Chris Clark :dunno:

i want to know what this word program is.  Word 98, Works, old Notepad++, old old Pages...

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
Miami is a dogshit job. The only positive they have is the recruiting area. I think the only worst jobs in the big 5 conferences in the states of Florida, Texas, and California are TCU and Cal. Miami has no facilities, not only do they play in an empty NFL stadium but their on=campus practice and workout facilities are horrendous. There past isn't even all that because their administration shies away from it. There are incredible expectations but without all of the benefits of having incredible expectations. No facilities, no money, no support, a new incoming president, and massive expectations from a vocal but cheap fan base. No thanks.

I think its a better job than Texas Tech

:ROFL: I completely forgot about them. Yeah, you're right even though Tech has better facilities

They are easy to forget because awful

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2014, 01:55:34 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--florida-nearing-deal-to-hire-colorado-state-coach-jim-mcelwain-040055694-ncaaf.html

That's why he was in the "(not happening)" in the Snyder retirement thread.

Seems sort of underwhelming for Florida.

He seems be the guy everyone wanted, pretty sure he was the OC at Alabama.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2014, 02:44:32 AM »
Yeah, he did wonders with McCarron. So dude knows what he is doing.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »
So. . .what I am hearing is that all the amazing things we are about to build down at the Bill will move K-State up this chart?

Call me a Homer. . .but the K-State job has to look pretty awesome. MHK is growing. For now it has an airport. It has an extremely loyal, and often wealthy, fan base who wants to support its growth. They pack the stadium win or lose. They have a president and AD who don't mind spending money (in the way of fundraising effort) on the program .They would be taking over for one of the best coaches of all time who could still be around to be a mentor. We have the training table and Vanier 2.0 is going to be the balls. The "you can't recruit to kansas" line is utter bullshit. A great coach will not have to try any harder if they can get recruits on an official visit. Not to mention that the university is tops in a lot of categories with constant on campus facelifts year after year.

I realize this list was based off of prestige and history. Yet, if I was a big time coach I could definitely look to MHK as a place that isn't a rebuilding project. It is a place just waiting for a great new coach to come take the reins.  That sounds like a pretty sweet job to me.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
the "you can't recruit to kansas" line is not utter bullshit.  it's very real.  glad you had fun in college but not everyone views mhk in the same light especially kids not from the middle of kansas.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »
the "you can't recruit to kansas" line is not utter bullshit.  it's very real.  glad you had fun in college but not everyone views mhk in the same light especially kids not from the middle of kansas.

Let's say hypothetically Nick Saban was coaching in Manhattan. Do you think for one second the recruits would say "no thanks coach, Kansas is gross. I prefer to live in Alabama."? I am saying that an elite coach wouldn't have any trouble recruiting a kid to Kansas.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »

Let's say hypothetically Nick Saban was coaching in Manhattan. Do you think for one second the recruits would say "no thanks coach, Kansas is gross. I prefer to live in Alabama."? I am saying that an elite coach wouldn't have any trouble recruiting a kid to Kansas.

Call me a Homer. . .but...They would be taking over for one of the best coaches of all time who could still be around to be a mentor.

:users:

but maybe you're right, maybe saban could recruit to manhattan.  only time will tell. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »

Call me a Homer. . .but...They would be taking over for one of the best coaches of all time who could still be around to be a mentor.

:users:

but maybe you're right, maybe saban could recruit to manhattan.  only time will tell.

if snyder stuck around to be a mentor then i think it would have a really good shot of working out.  :crossfingers:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »
Nobody wants to go to mhk unless you have ties to it or there's no one else offering. #Science

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
stadium size is honestly a pretty good representation of how easy/difficult it is to recruit to a place

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--florida-nearing-deal-to-hire-colorado-state-coach-jim-mcelwain-040055694-ncaaf.html

That's why he was in the "(not happening)" in the Snyder retirement thread.

He was a hot name on a lot of the NU stuff that I saw.

It made me chuckle.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
@FootballScoop  7m
Sources tell us Jim McElwain has informed his players that he plans to accept the job at Florida http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »
@MattStephens  2m Fort Collins, CO
Again, any report that McElwain has told his players he's leaving is incorrect.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
AND HERE COMES THE BEST PART OF THE COACHING CAROUSEL!!!!!

TWITTER RUMORS AND RETRACTIONS!!

:driving:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »
FL Fitz just totally Fitzed FL up.   :lol: