Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 303824 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #1725 on: November 02, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »

Their conference, more than any other, uses their conference affiliation for more than just football.

why would that go away though?

Why would the academic and research affiliations they have with the Big 10 schools go away if those schools left the Big 10? Is that what you're asking?

Yes. For reference, the University of Chicago was a member of the academic group until fairly recently and is still closely affiliated.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 02, 2021, 06:49:58 PM »

Their conference, more than any other, uses their conference affiliation for more than just football.

Why would the academic and research affiliations they have with the Big 10 schools go away if those schools left the Big 10? Is that what you're asking?

Yes. For reference, the University of Chicago was a member of the academic group until fairly recently and is still closely affiliated.

The University of Chicago is #6 in the country and #15 globally in the U.S. News and World Reports rankings. The SEC has 2 schools in the top 50, Florida at 39 and Georgia at 46.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: November 02, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »

The University of Chicago is #6 in the country and #15 globally in the U.S. News and World Reports rankings. The SEC has 2 schools in the top 50, Florida at 39 and Georgia at 46.
I'm saying that the Big Ten academic collaboration might continue to include Michigan and Ohio State if those athletic departments went to the SEC for football.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 02, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »
Also the Big 10 knows full well, and they are correct in knowing, that they are the best conference in America. The SEC has had a 15 year run as the best football conference. Michigan has been playing football longer than every SEC school and are historically better than all but one of those schools. There is literally no incentive for Ohio State and Michigan to go anywhere.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 02, 2021, 07:27:53 PM »

I'm saying that the Big Ten academic collaboration might continue to include Michigan and Ohio State if those athletic departments went to the SEC for football.

The University of Chicago dropped football in 1939, they didn't leave their conference peers for the Southern Conference's 40 pieces of silver.

Is your reasoning forcarrying on with this, just because? It's not a cultural fit, it's not an academic fit, it doesn't make them more competitive, and it likely won't make them more money, so what are we talking about here? Yes, we are aware they can, it's America. I CAN become a 5 time nba champion head coach, but that seems highly unlikely so why act like it's even remotely plausible.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: November 02, 2021, 07:29:07 PM »
It only makes since if there is significantly more money at stake, that's all that matters

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: November 02, 2021, 11:02:59 PM »
There never will be a significant difference in money between the conferences unless either FOX or ESPN seize to exist. As long as they both are involved, the SEC and B10 will be the 2 highest at similar amounts.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 03, 2021, 09:09:13 AM »
There never will be a significant difference in money between the conferences unless either FOX or ESPN seize to exist. As long as they both are involved, the SEC and B10 will be the 2 highest at similar amounts.

Leave coach Kill out of this. :nono:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
Also the Big 10 knows full well, and they are correct in knowing, that they are the best conference in America. The SEC has had a 15 year run as the best football conference. Michigan has been playing football longer than every SEC school and are historically better than all but one of those schools. There is literally no incentive for Ohio State and Michigan to go anywhere.

I admire your dedication to this dream.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 03, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
:-(

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 03, 2021, 12:26:28 PM »
Can't even sell out the most high profile game on the schedule? I'm sure they'll still brag about that supposed sell out streak.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 03, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »
Do you still have your season tickets SD?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 03, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
No, not for a long time. That was a cash cow for awhile (late Callahan/early Pelini era). Get them, sell the entire book to a broker, profit like $1,500 a ticket. Now it’d be a money loser even with no donor requirement.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: November 03, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »
There's a case of the apple not falling far from the tree.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 03, 2021, 05:52:08 PM »
I'm not sure that's correct. My impression was that the SEC was already catching up to the Big 10 before adding Texas and OU.

I had forgotten they are taking on a charity case in KU so the number may go down significantly

I forgot this too!   Spracne, remind me when this is scheduled to become official . . .

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: November 03, 2021, 05:57:00 PM »
I'm not sure that's correct. My impression was that the SEC was already catching up to the Big 10 before adding Texas and OU.

I had forgotten they are taking on a charity case in KU so the number may go down significantly

I forgot this too!   Spracne, remind me when this is scheduled to become official . . .

March 2022, subject to unforeseen developments between now and then.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: November 03, 2021, 05:59:12 PM »
Do you think their pride will ever allow them to ask to rejoin the Big XII? I doubt it, but it's still fun to think about.

No one is going to leave the big 10 or SEC, they are now the premier conferences.

BUT.....what if we could show them the future.  And, if they left the big 10 for the Big12 they would win 5 natties over the next 15 years.  But, if they stayed in the big 10 they would just meander around 5-7 wins a year.  What would happen then?  Stay in the big 10, suck at football but keep hobnobbing with all those academic elitists, or be fantastic in football but hang with the academic commoners.  I would love to watch that.   :bwpopcorn:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 03, 2021, 06:41:53 PM »
Do you think their pride will ever allow them to ask to rejoin the Big XII? I doubt it, but it's still fun to think about.

No one is going to leave the big 10 or SEC, they are now the premier conferences.

BUT.....what if we could show them the future.  And, if they left the big 10 for the Big12 they would win 5 natties over the next 15 years.  But, if they stayed in the big 10 they would just meander around 5-7 wins a year.  What would happen then?  Stay in the big 10, suck at football but keep hobnobbing with all those academic elitists, or be fantastic in football but hang with the academic commoners.  I would love to watch that.   :bwpopcorn:

You see where the CFP committee put OU?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 03, 2021, 10:51:16 PM »

March 2022, subject to unforeseen developments between now and then.

History Awaits

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 04, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »

Lots of football left to be played. These mid season rankings mean very nothing, despite how irritating it was to me the other day. Their only purpose right now is to create conversation and drive ratings.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: November 04, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »

Lots of football left to be played. These mid season rankings mean very nothing, despite how irritating it was to me the other day. Their only purpose right now is to create conversation and drive ratings.

*and to provide ‘quality wins’ to teams sitting just outside that they want to see ‘in’ - and preventing those they don’t want infrom getting there.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 04, 2021, 06:11:52 PM »

That doesn’t matter. All I’m asking is if it were a known fact that Nebraska would win 5 national championships in the next 15 years what would they do?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 04, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »

That doesn’t matter. All I’m asking is if it were a known fact that Nebraska would win 5 national championships in the next 15 years what would they do?

Stay in the big 10

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: November 04, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »
There isn't one school from the big 10 that would voluntary go to the PAC, ACC, or Big XII.  It is idiotic to think any school is willing to lose millions to be in another conference.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 04, 2021, 11:29:18 PM »
There isn't a big 10 school I would invite to the big 12, they all suck.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite