Author Topic: CHIMERA vs SNOWBRAG  (Read 16946 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: CHIMERA vs SNOWBRAG
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
JUDGE: a very solid showing across the board.

CHIMERA - 0.577
BOWTRUSS - 0.507
PIXIES - 0.474
DREAMYOST - 0.450
SNOWBRAG - 0.436
"null hypothesis" - 0.145

*the "null hypothesis" would be predicting the favored team to score <1 and the unfavored team to score 0.

BOWTRUSS was remarkable in the KSU/WVU game, Marshall/UAB and KU/OU.  If not for the NW/Purdue game BOWTRUSS probably would have won.

CHIMERA was even more solid than usual, but getting more actual winners correct this week set Chings apart from the rest.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing if any of us beat the Vegas spread combined with the O/U
:adios:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing if any of us beat the Vegas spread combined with the O/U

Had you guys placed bets for head to head, over/under, and against the spread, you would have performed as follows:

PIXIES - 20 of 30
CHIMERA/SNOWBRAG - 19 of 30
DREAMYOST - 18 of 30
BOWTRUSS - 17 of 30

*This is based on where everything closed according to covers.com IIRC the lines only moved enough to have affected one outcome for RATM but otherwise the line moving was mostly inconsequential.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »

Had you guys placed bets for head to head, over/under, and against the spread, you would have performed as follows:

PIXIES - 20 of 30
DREAMYOST - 18 of 30
BOWTRUSS - 17 of 30

*This is based on where everything closed according to covers.com IIRC the lines only moved enough to have affected one outcome for RATM but otherwise the line moving was mostly inconsequential.

What I meant is that, say the line is 6 points, and the O/U is 50. The implied score predicted is 28-22. Given that, what would Vegas score according to your ranking system? Would any of our algos come close?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »

PIXIES - 20 of 30
DREAMYOST - 18 of 30
BOWTRUSS - 17 of 30

What I meant is that, say the line is 6 points, and the O/U is 50. The implied score predicted is 28-22. Given that, what would Vegas score according to your ranking system? Would any of our algos come close?

Oh, I see what you're saying.  If one were to bet the implied vegas score that would have yielded a 0.413.  So, everyone did a little bit better than vegas.  You and Chingon by a considerable margin.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »

PIXIES - 20 of 30
DREAMYOST - 18 of 30
BOWTRUSS - 17 of 30

Oh, I see what you're saying.  If one were to bet the implied vegas score that would have yielded a 0.413.  So, everyone did a little bit better than vegas.  You and Chingon by a considerable margin.

Sorry, what is 0.413 a measure of?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »
0.413 means I hope you didn't bet any of the farms bc you'd probably be lucky to break even. If anyone was putting up a 0.600 or above on the reg, call your bookie. Above a 0.800 and you should probably be a professional bookmaker. 0.900 or better -- the fix is in.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
Picks or it didn't happen  :impatient:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
It's on my computer that is in another state, so I can't do this week unless I can turn my picks in on Monday

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
Okay... Championship week. Championship games, Big 12, and a mid-major

Oregon 43 Arizona 29
Alabama 27 Missouri 17
Georgia Tech 34 Florida State 32

Iowa State 16 @ TCU 55
Kansas State 24 @ Baylor 32
Oklahoma State 13 @ Oklahoma 38

Louisiana Tech 24 @ Marshall 30

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Oregon   36   Arizona   22
Alabama   33   Missouri   15
Georgia Tech   36   Florida State   30

Iowa State   17   TCU   55
Kansas State   34   Baylor   35
Oklahoma State   17   Oklahoma   44

Louisiana Tech   26   Marshall   35

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »
All the same winners...

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
ZONA   ORE     29   39
BAMA   MIZZ   27   20
FSU     GT       30   32
ISU     TCU     20   50
KSU     BAY     30   35
OSU    OU       21   40
LTU     MARSH 30   38

why don't we add this one to the mix? although it is hard to factor injuries in...

WISC   OHST   30   31

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »
Oops... I totally meant to
Wisc 25 OSU 23

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
POSTING FOR LATER

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
Who won that week?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
Lol okay that will take some time to compute

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »

The thing about picking bowls is really trying to determine which side has the greater motivation for their meaningless exhibition.  LY, for example, I think the 'cats and Michigan were far more similar teams than the score indicated.  However, that game ended up being an easy win as it was apparent from the outset that our kids were treating the BWW as Super Bowl 45.

Thanks for posting this, though.  Having math AND a motivated team is always best!!

:thumbsup:
bears are fast...

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
Totally agree, and my formula takes into account nothing but the math. For the bowls I took out all the home field modifiers too, and don't take into account who has less travel, because I have no idea how relevant it is. I don't have any idea how to go about determining motivation for 78 different teams and account for that on the scoreboard, so this will have to do for now.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
Totally agree, and my formula takes into account nothing but the math. For the bowls I took out all the home field modifiers too, and don't take into account who has less travel, because I have no idea how relevant it is. I don't have any idea how to go about determining motivation for 78 different teams and account for that on the scoreboard, so this will have to do for now.

There's really no way to do it that I can guess... All you can really do is read local reports for each team and figure out what's real and what isn't. 

FWIW, I think GMFP will be able to get the froggies up to play their game, but doubt that Briles will have the same luck with that merry band of cheap shot artists and chest thumpers.

bears are fast...

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »

There's really no way to do it that I can guess... All you can really do is read local reports for each team and figure out what's real and what isn't. 

FWIW, I think GMFP will be able to get the froggies up to play their game, but doubt that Briles will have the same luck with that merry band of cheap shot artists and chest thumpers.

Yeah, Briles has spent too much time on tv telling people that his team belongs in the playoffs to allow him to convince his players that they should give a crap about the Cotton Bowl. Then again, I don't think Michigan State is nearly as good as Baylor, so if Baylor gets an early lead, they could still take off and not look back.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
You're forgetting Briles has specifically said they weren't going to dwell on getting left out of the playoffs.  I don't know how you could miss that, it's like the only thing he's talked about the last week...

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2014, 01:28:34 PM »

Yeah, Briles has spent too much time on tv telling people that his team belongs in the playoffs to allow him to convince his players that they should give a crap about the Cotton Bowl. Then again, I don't think Michigan State is nearly as good as Baylor, so if Baylor gets an early lead, they could still take off and not look back.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/baylor-bears/20140101-live-follow-baylor-vs.-central-florida-in-the-fiesta-bowl.ece

bears are fast...