Author Topic: Will you ever really "accept" new Big 12 schools?  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Will you ever really "accept" new Big 12 schools?
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
It's amazing to me how much some people really want to watch these shitty 16+ team conferences happen.
It's not that it's wanted, just seems inevitable. I would love to have the 96' Big 12 back  :bawl:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »
It's amazing to me how much some people really want to watch these shitty 16+ team conferences happen.
It's not that it's wanted, just seems inevitable. I would love to have the 96' Big 12 back  :bawl:

How does it seem inevitable? Have we not seen yet that all of these conferences have their own wants and needs and narratives that change seemingly daily? These super-conferences would require cooperation amongst the conferences and more television money to make them work, both seem like laughable propositions at this point.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »

How does it seem inevitable? Have we not seen yet that all of these conferences have their own wants and needs and narratives that change seemingly daily? These super-conferences would require cooperation amongst the conferences and more television money to make them work, both seem like laughable propositions at this point.
The popularity of the playoff is what makes it seem inevitable. TV ratings showed that viewership of any non-playoff bowl game has dwindled dramatically the last few years (Notre Dame-Ohio State bowl game last year only had 9.8 million viewers, less than half of the viewers from the same matchup ten years earlier). The current playoff contract will end around 2025 and conference re-alignment will almost surely precede the playoff evolution around that time. I'm not sure if this will end up with super conferences, but there will certainly be changes to the power five conferences. TV business will focus on the playoffs and teams perceived as playoff contenders, the power five conferences will collectively do everything they can to ensure their teams will have a chance at playoff berths, even if that means conference realignment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »

The popularity of the playoff is what makes it seem inevitable. TV ratings showed that viewership of any non-playoff bowl game has dwindled dramatically the last few years (Notre Dame-Ohio State bowl game last year only had 9.8 million viewers, less than half of the viewers from the same matchup ten years earlier). The current playoff contract will end around 2025 and conference re-alignment will almost surely precede the playoff evolution around that time. I'm not sure if this will end up with super conferences, but there will certainly be changes to the power five conferences. TV business will focus on the playoffs and teams perceived as playoff contenders, the power five conferences will collectively do everything they can to ensure their teams will have a chance at playoff berths, even if that means conference realignment.

I'm not seeing any correlation between the CFP and super conferences at all, I have no idea what one has to do with the other.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »

I'm not seeing any correlation between the CFP and super conferences at all, I have no idea what one has to do with the other.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
When they win titles yes until then no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »
it will be easier since the Big 12 would cease to exist  (they'd have to change the name, right??)