Author Topic: auburn game  (Read 19950 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: auburn game
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
In this instance, the cliche is true: K-State lost this game more than Auburn won it. 3 missed but very makeable field goals, two absurd fumbles, and TLABL missing an open TD that became an INT - that "amazing SEC defense" wasn't responsible for much of that.

The good news is that these problems on offense aren't all that common (well, except for our woeful kicking), and the liklihood of them occuring often, let alone all in the same game, is extremely low. Auburn got lucky, and capitalized on that luck as good teams do. In the meantime, we saw a significantly better defensive performance than last week. Our offense will recover. If our D continues to play at that level, a 9-3 or even 10-2 season is not outside the realm of possibility.

None of this is meant as a putdown to Auburn. Beating a ranked opponent on the road is tough, and they are to be congratulated.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »
In this instance, the cliche is true: K-State lost this game more than Auburn won it. 3 missed but very makeable field goals, two absurd fumbles, and TLABL missing an open TD that became an INT - that "amazing SEC defense" wasn't responsible for much of that.

The good news is that these problems on offense aren't all that common (well, except for our woeful kicking), and the liklihood of them occuring often, let alone all in the same game, is extremely low. Auburn got lucky, and capitalized on that luck as good teams do. In the meantime, we saw a significantly better defensive performance than last week. Our offense will recover. If our D continues to play at that level, a 9-3 or even 10-2 season is not outside the realm of possibility.

None of this is meant as a putdown to Auburn. Beating a ranked opponent on the road is tough, and they are to be congratulated.

Don't forget the mistakes weren't one-sided. Auburn dropped a couple of long balls themselves.

Kansas State will be fine.

Neither team looked sharp, but both teams should learn a lot in the film room.

Good luck the rest of the way; It benefits us both if both teams do well.

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

I saw several TDs dropped by the AU WRs as well. Lot of points left of the field last night. I saw 14 by AU and 16 by KSU. I'm thinking the score should have been more like 34-30ish.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »

I saw several TDs dropped by the AU WRs as well. Lot of points left of the field last night. I saw 14 by AU and 16 by KSU. I'm thinking the score should have been more like 34-30ish.

Receivers get overthrown / drop balls all the time. Dropping a wide open pass in the end zone to become an INT is more of the fluke variety. Again, Auburn got lucky and capitalized on it. Nothing wrong with that.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
at least we get ku at home. every other game from here on out is an uphill battle.

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »

Receivers get overthrown / drop balls all the time. Dropping a wide open pass in the end zone to become an INT is more of the fluke variety. Again, Auburn got lucky and capitalized on it. Nothing wrong with that.

Didn't say anything was wrong with any of it. I just think this game was a bit uncharacteristic of both teams. I see a lot KSU fans down on this team which is totally understandable after a loss but no way should the EMAW family be down on the team. Time will prove this I believe. KSU will have a great season, imo.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
i was really hoping that our game against iowa state was flukey but after last night i have to say that this is a .500 team we're looking at. good teams don't look like bad teams two games in a row and we just did.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
we already played our harley day card and still lost.  do we have anything special we can use for the utep game?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »
we already played our harley day card and still lost.  do we have anything special we can use for the utep game?

Ft Riley Day.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
We basically played TCU (maybe a little worse?) at home last night and lost.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »
Well, what do I know (not much)? Maybe I'm giving Auburn too much credit, but I though our D played reasonably well last night.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
Well, what do I know (not much)? Maybe I'm giving Auburn too much credit, but I though our D played reasonably well last night.

They did. Maybe it would have looked different if Duke Williams doesn't drop those 2 passes, but he did. K State loaded the box and forced Auburn to throw. I'd call Auburn's results in the passing game mixed at best.

The defense played well enough to win. The offense made too many mistakes and had too many drives stall out at inopportune times to win.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Daniel Sams could have made every throw Jake made last night.  There were zero throws where you were like "whoa that was a great throw, he really rocketed that one, or, he really fit that one into a tight window." They were all just normal throws that Sams and pretty much any other D1 QB could make.  Difference being Sams would have broke contain tons of times and high-stepped into the hearts of espn and everyone watching while leading the cats to victory.  I truly believe that, and nothing will ever change my mind.  I'm not going to talk about it any more.
One pass to Sexton was an extremely tight window.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »
Do we play at WVU?  That is going to be a bitch.  Waters will give it to the other guys at least 3 times.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
Daniel Sams could have made every throw Jake made last night.  There were zero throws where you were like "whoa that was a great throw, he really rocketed that one, or, he really fit that one into a tight window." They were all just normal throws that Sams and pretty much any other D1 QB could make.  Difference being Sams would have broke contain tons of times and high-stepped into the hearts of espn and everyone watching while leading the cats to victory.  I truly believe that, and nothing will ever change my mind.  I'm not going to talk about it any more.

k

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »

k
1! :D

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Waters put 2 or three ball(s) on the money in very tight windows. That last interception was inexcusable. There was no way that is being completed. That ball has to land in ICat.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
Waters put 2 or three ball(s) on the money in very tight windows. That last interception was inexcusable. There was no way that is being completed. That ball has to land in ICat.

Worse than any Sams INT ever? I say yes.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
Or in TLBL hands who was wide open only about 5 yards closer and slightly more in the middle of the field but when your scrambling that would be a hard find and a hard throw.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
Or in TLBL hands who was wide open only about 5 yards closer and slightly more in the middle of the field but when your scrambling that would be a hard find and a hard throw.
Which is why that ball goes into ICat.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
at least we get ku at home. every other game from here on out is an uphill battle.

Even that ku game is looking like a toss-up now. Cozart made more plays with his feet last week against Duke (stronger defense than ours) than Marshall did against us last night, and they look about evenly inconsistent when it comes to throwing the ball. ku's main issue defensively was giving up breakaway runs, but we saw last night that our running backs aren't going to be breaking away from anybody.   :frown:

That KU game's probably gonna be for bowl eligibility, too.  :ohno:

Offline millertime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
We basically played TCU (maybe a little worse?) at home last night and lost.

I thought we were playing against West Virginia's offense and TCU's defense all night. Nothing extraordinary from either, we just couldn't stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
:dunno:

Auburn is a pretty good team that will lose some games simply because their schedule is brutal. I don't buy into SEC hype completely, but they have a combination of size and speed that we simply won't see from many Big 12 teams. It looked like a September game with both teams making mistakes. Ours were more costly overall, but Auburn had some bad ones too. It happens sometimes early in the year, even when good teams play each other. JMHO.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
:dunno:

Auburn is a pretty good team that will lose some games simply because their schedule is brutal. I don't buy into SEC hype completely, but they have a combination of size and speed that we simply won't see from many Big 12 teams. It looked like a September game with both teams making mistakes. Ours were more costly overall, but Auburn had some bad ones too. It happens sometimes early in the year, even when good teams play each other. JMHO.

So typical. Take off the purple glasses, _FAN. Last night showed that every week's going to be a dogfight from here on out. A trip to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl is looking like a pretty lofty goal right now.