Author Topic: War Damn  (Read 8306 times)

Offline CATILLAC

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: War Damn
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
Question... is the "war" in war damn eagle a noun or a verb??

Also, E damn Maw.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
Question... is the "war" in war damn eagle a noun or a verb??

Also, E damn Maw.

I think it's an adjective.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
Actually that logo is UAB's.. University of Alabama at Birmingham.. so no, its not

Yeah, AUB.  ?

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
I find it odd a fan base that uses EMAW as a prized phrase poking their flimsy little peckers at a real tradition such as War Eagle. Since you cats are so responsive to edumication, lets indulge.

There are many stories surrounding the origins of Auburn's battle cry, "War Eagle." The most popular account involves the first Auburn football game in 1892 between Auburn and the University of Georgia. According to the story, in the stands that day was an old Civil War soldier with an eagle that he had found injured on a battlefield and kept as a pet. The eagle broke free and began to soar over the field, and Auburn began to march toward the Georgia end zone. The crowd began to chant "War Eagle" as the eagle soared. After Auburn won the game, the eagle crashed to the field and died, but according to the legend, his spirit lives on every time an Auburn man or woman yells "War Eagle!" The battle cry also functions as a greeting for those associated with the University. For many years, a live golden eagle has embodied the spirit of this tradition. The eagle was once housed on campus in The Eagle's Cage, but the cage was taken down and the eagle moved to a nearby raptor center.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
That is the most damn ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
I find it odd a fan base that uses EMAW as a prized phrase poking their flimsy little peckers at a real tradition such as War Eagle. Since you cats are so responsive to edumication, lets indulge.

There are many stories surrounding the origins of Auburn's battle cry, "War Eagle." The most popular account involves the first Auburn football game in 1892 between Auburn and the University of Georgia. According to the story, in the stands that day was an old Civil War soldier with an eagle that he had found injured on a battlefield and kept as a pet. The eagle broke free and began to soar over the field, and Auburn began to march toward the Georgia end zone. The crowd began to chant "War Eagle" as the eagle soared. After Auburn won the game, the eagle crashed to the field and died, but according to the legend, his spirit lives on every time an Auburn man or woman yells "War Eagle!" The battle cry also functions as a greeting for those associated with the University. For many years, a live golden eagle has embodied the spirit of this tradition. The eagle was once housed on campus in The Eagle's Cage, but the cage was taken down and the eagle moved to a nearby raptor center.

What kind of a stupid bad person brings an EAGLE into a football game? lol.  What a dick.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »

You realize that is a children's book with a story made up correct???
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
War Damn Eagle > EMAW.

Yeah, EMAW? Seriously, you guys hang your hat on that gem?

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Of course its all some fable built around the glorious war to keep black people enslaved. It's about as offensive an anachronism as "Redskins."

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 02:51:52 PM »

Seriously.  That story is made up and not at all true.  The civil war ended in 1865 and the average lifespan of an eagle (bald eagle or otherwise) is 20 years.  If that eagle was born on the last fight of the civil war (which would have been in 1865) that eagle could have lived to most likely  1885 (plus or minutes a year or two based on genes).  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say 1887, but there is no way that eagle is alive in 1892.  It's complete horse crap.

I actually know the origins of the term War Eagle and I am not even an Auburn fan.
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
War Damn Eagle > EMAW.

Yeah, EMAW? Seriously, you guys hang your hat on that gem?

We don't wear houndstooth fedoras like you all.

Offline CATILLAC

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »

Sounds like a Goosebumps book. :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
Of course its all some fable built around the glorious war to keep black people enslaved. It's about as offensive an anachronism as "Redskins."

"And the moral of the story is don't run off. You just end up dead."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »
When you see a squirrel run across the field do you yell "war squirrel". I don't get why a crowd would yell "war"  at an animal doing animal things.

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »

Seriously.  That story is made up and not at all true.  The civil war ended in 1865 and the average lifespan of an eagle (bald eagle or otherwise) is 20 years.  If that eagle was born on the last fight of the civil war (which would have been in 1865) that eagle could have lived to most likely  1885 (plus or minutes a year or two based on genes).  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say 1887, but there is no way that eagle is alive in 1892.  It's complete horse crap.

I actually know the origins of the term War Eagle and I am not even an Auburn fan.

Ah, the all knowing. Are you referring to the Indians or the Bulldogs? You seem to be really caught up in this topic.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »
When you see a squirrel run across the field do you yell "war squirrel". I don't get why a crowd would yell "war"  at an animal doing animal things.
This eagle was supposedly a Civil War POW.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
The logistics are improbable...I mean the war ended around 1865, right?  A typical eagle's lifespan is around 15-20 years though it might be possible to stretch into the 30's...but it wouldn't likely have survived that long having been injured on a battlefield early, early in life.  Not to mention 1892 was the first year of Auburn football (A&M College of Alabama) and the Georgia game was the first game of that season.  I doubt the majority of people watching even understood what was happening during the game.

"Are we winning?"

"Maybe.  Hey look!  An eagle...ooh it looks sick."

"I bet it belongs to that guy who obviously was in the War!"

"Football is AWESOME!!!"

Offline Lizard of Oz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
Lets try this again....

EMAW?

Offline auairman

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »

War Eagle was a common name for the golden eagle.  And of course it isn't the same eagle from way back.(of course the story is doubtful..that is just legend, don't get so hung up on it.)  There have been 7 named eagles.
We have a Vet school and one of the specialties is raptors.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
This eagle was supposedly a Civil War POW.

Ahhh.. So it's just a lowest common denominator vocabulary thing.

So they call a veteran a "war human" down there?

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »
Probably a pigeon then, if there's any truth to the yarn at all.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »

War Eagle was a common name for the golden eagle.  And of course it isn't he same eagle from way back.  There have been 7 named eagles.
We have a Vet school and of of the specialties is raptors.

Don't be stupid....raptors have been extinct for a long time.  C'mon man!
@mikec2w

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »

War Eagle was a common name for the golden eagle.  And of course it isn't he same eagle from way back.  There have been 7 named eagles.
We have a Vet school and of of the specialties is raptors.

Well, what are their names?

Offline auairman

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »

Well, what are their names?
Lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle

We have also had a few bald eagles.  Spirit was one of them. I think Spirit was the one that flew in the Olympics but I am not sure.