Author Topic: UberX targeting super stud city MHK  (Read 18371 times)

Offline ksuwizard

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: UberX targeting super stud city MHK
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »
Neither he nor you did that.

no, it did, and it happens quite a bit. http://laist.com/2013/12/17/uber_driver_demands_500_for_phone_l.php

I called him two minutes after he dropped me off and he was like, "ummm, I have it, what do you want me to do?" and I'm like "BRING ME BACK MY LAPTOP" and he's like "I'll have to charge you" thinking it would be like a standard fare for him to bring it back. (I had no idea what their policy was and just assumed it was company policy, I was a little stressed at this point.) I was like, "Fine. whatever. just bring it back." When he got back I was like, "um, so my app just takes care of this or whatever?" and he's like, "um, no, that's not how it works" and I told him I didn't have any cash and he's like "um, um, bye". Like I said, a nice way of telling him to eff off. I would never say that to a real human.

I mean, I would have thrown him a few bones.  Leaving the laptop in the car was your error.  The guy incurs an opportunity cost by delivering the laptop to your location. It would be the decent thing to do.

In the early stages of Uber in KC, I had a driver come back about 1/4 mile to return my hat I left in the car. Not a laptop, but nice of her to do so.  And one night I was in an Uber and found a phone in the backseat that was left. The driver said it belonged the guy he just dropped off, so we called a number on it and returned it to him on our Uber dime (was about 1/2 mile out of the way). On the flipside, a DC cab driver charged me $40 to turn around and bring my iPhone back to the bar he dropped me off at one night for "loss of business he received".  I think it all boils down to hopefully finding the general nicety of people and the drivers when you leave something in the vehicle. As Spracne mentioned, it's not the driver's fault something got left in the car.  I hope Uber comes back to KS side, way better than cabs IME.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »
Neither he nor you did that.

no, it did, and it happens quite a bit. http://laist.com/2013/12/17/uber_driver_demands_500_for_phone_l.php

I called him two minutes after he dropped me off and he was like, "ummm, I have it, what do you want me to do?" and I'm like "BRING ME BACK MY LAPTOP" and he's like "I'll have to charge you" thinking it would be like a standard fare for him to bring it back. (I had no idea what their policy was and just assumed it was company policy, I was a little stressed at this point.) I was like, "Fine. whatever. just bring it back." When he got back I was like, "um, so my app just takes care of this or whatever?" and he's like, "um, no, that's not how it works" and I told him I didn't have any cash and he's like "um, um, bye". Like I said, a nice way of telling him to eff off. I would never say that to a real human.

I mean, I would have thrown him a few bones.  Leaving the laptop in the car was your error.  The guy incurs an opportunity cost by delivering the laptop to your location. It would be the decent thing to do.

I honestly didn't have any cash (that's one of the selling points for Uber, right?), called him two minutes after he dropped me off, and didn't know the policy for lost items was just "figure it out with the driver". This guy wasn't coming up with a solution at all, just asking me what I wanted to do. He also lied about how far away he was when I called him and I legitimately thought he could charge me through the app (like an extra ride) when he mentioned that as a possible solution. Straight up asking for cash was poor form.

And like I said, I have used Uber since and will use again, especially if a cab is the alternative. My only real problem w/ Uber is I can't schedule them for super early morning trips to the airport and I'm paranoid about not having any drivers close when I need to be to the airport early.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »
Ah, I thought you meant you told him to eff off by claiming not to have any cash (when you actually did  :Keke:).

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Uber horror stories are also not doing much for me either. I don't love the company Uber per se, as they are obviously pretty shady. But I love that they allow more choice in my market. New Orleans taxis have had an absolute stranglehold on the city for so GD long and they were never held accountable for anything and basically broke whatever rules/laws they pleased because there was no competition. But now there is, and it's great, even if the competing company itself isn't that great. Ya dig?

In Manhattan I'd more just all about Uber because A) every other state seems to be able to make it work, and B) there just aren't very many cabs (because D. Scott is always in them) but there are tons of drunk people who want rides all the time.

Exactly. Cab companies are so seedy and in the pocket of the city....Uber basically has to be dirty to break into these monopolies.

Oh and always tip your uber driver if you have cash.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
Uber horror stories are also not doing much for me either. I don't love the company Uber per se, as they are obviously pretty shady. But I love that they allow more choice in my market. New Orleans taxis have had an absolute stranglehold on the city for so GD long and they were never held accountable for anything and basically broke whatever rules/laws they pleased because there was no competition. But now there is, and it's great, even if the competing company itself isn't that great. Ya dig?

In Manhattan I'd more just all about Uber because A) every other state seems to be able to make it work, and B) there just aren't very many cabs (because D. Scott is always in them) but there are tons of drunk people who want rides all the time.

Exactly. Cab companies are so seedy and in the pocket of the city....Uber basically has to be dirty to break into these monopolies.

Wait, what?
:adios:

Offline RockState2000

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »
Agree, what? I've never done this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »

Wait, what?

Yeah, the tip is incorporated into the fare. I learned this the hard way via PI'ing from Trim.

Why do people keep saying "well uber is better than taxis?" That's like someone complaining about pirates and infectious diseases on cruise ships but the response is then "well its better than a floating raft made of wood and plastic barrels."

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »

Wait, what?

Yeah, the tip is incorporated into the fare. I learned this the hard way via PI'ing from Trim.

Why do people keep saying "well uber is better than taxis?" That's like someone complaining about pirates and infectious diseases on cruise ships but the response is then "well its better than a floating raft made of wood and plastic barrels."
This can't be serious no one is saying uber is bad but you.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »

Wait, what?

I've since learned they expect tips, at least the uberX ones do.  I think we were talking about uber black.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

I was in New Orleans a month ago and there was no Uber.  Also, I was picked up by a guy who was clearly not the guy on the photo in back, drove 15 over, and had every warning light on in the car.  Was also driven by a guy who was cut off in traffic and pulled a gun out of the glove box to waive at the other driver.  So I guess I agree with you on the no accountability thing but really don't know how that has changed.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »
Yes to clarify...tip uberX. Black is included. Uber misled riders for awhile on their site but later changed the wording.

I don't tip everytime because I suck at carrying cash but especially for a short trips, I try to throw the driver a couple bucks.

Really wish uber would add a tip option to the app...they have it for cities that book cabs through uber.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:40 PM »

Wait, what?

This can't be serious no one is saying uber is bad but you.

What? One of us is confused. Even if I said uber is bad, my response was a little more nuanced than that, what does that have to do with me thinking comparing uber to cabs to justify their shitty corporate policies is a false a equivalency?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
How am I supposed to get home from p&l tonight?  If they pick you up in kcmo, can they drive to ks?  Do I lie about where i live until it's too late?  Level 3 right now,  btw.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
yes, they will drop you off in ks.  they just can't do pick ups
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
yes, they will drop you off in ks.  they just can't do pick ups

The RIDE Act, generally codified at 49 USC 14501(d) allows this.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
Re: tipping:

http://www.quora.com/Should-I-tip-my-Uber-driver

My god uber corporate is amazingly greedy and cutthroat.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
Just talked to an uberx driver, he said no one tips on uber which is why he usually drives for lyft, where folks tip about half the time.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
Just talked to an uberx driver, he said no one tips on uber which is why he usually drives for lyft, where folks tip about half the time.

My last UberX driver had a few bills shoved in the cig tray area as a subtle hint I think...the last 4 haven't even attempted to refuse my tip

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
eff YO REGULATIONS

http://ictrides.com/

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/17/us-uber-california-idUSKBN0OX1TE20150617

A San Francisco-based driver for smartphone-based ride-hailing service Uber is an employee, not a contractor, according to a ruling by the California Labor Commission.

The ruling, filed on Tuesday in state court in San Francisco, was the latest in a host of legal and regulatory challenges facing Uber and other highly valued start-ups in the United States and other countries.

The commission said Uber is "involved in every aspect of the operation."

Classifying Uber drivers as employees opens the company up to considerably higher costs, including Social Security, workers’ compensation and unemployment insurance. That could affect its valuation, currently above $40 billion, and the valuation of other companies that rely on large networks of individuals to provide rides, clean houses and other services.

Uber had argued that its drivers are independent contractors, not employees, and that it is "nothing more than a neutral technology platform."

But the commission said Uber controls the tools driver use, monitors their approval ratings and terminates their access to the system if their ratings fall below 4.6 stars.

The ruling affects only California. However, the state is Uber's home base, one of its largest markets, and sets a path often followed by regulators and courts in other states.

Uber did not immediately respond to a request for comment. It likely will not have to start paying any additional costs unless it loses on appeal, and only after it exhausts its appeals.

The commission was ruling on an appeal by Uber of a labor commissioner's award of about $4,000 in expenses to San Francisco-based driver Barbara Ann Berwick, who filed her claim in September. She worked as an Uber driver for just over two months last year.

Earlier this month, Uber lost a bid to force arbitration in a federal lawsuit brought in San Francisco by its drivers. Earlier this year, the same court rejected Uber's bid to deem its drivers independent contractors, saying a jury would rule on their status.

In Florida, a state agency ruled earlier this year that Uber drivers are employees.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
Correct ruling
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez