Author Topic: fast food worker protests  (Read 3867 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: fast food worker protests
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
what i'm saying is my opinion that a minimum wage of 15 bucks for fast food workers is ridiculous means nothing.

if this effectively drives up their wages then why shouldn't they do it?

Many of these folks would be out of a job if they got their wish.

^a potential reason

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
How much should they make? Minimum wage across the board?

The market will dictate that.

Is a mass protest considered a market force?

there are several million people out of work that can handle their job.

it's not who CAN, but who WOULD. if the demand for workers exceeds supply of willing workers because of all this, then they will be forced to raise wages. so, yes, a market force.

More people WOULD if we didn't pay them to sit on the couch and eat Doritos.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
I honestly have not heard a single person say that this is a good idea (other than soundbites from protesters).

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »

No

Why not?

Because there's many, many people that can replace them

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

No

Why not?

Yeah I wasn't just referring to this specific protest. Are you saying protests can never be considered market forces?

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »

No

Why not?

Yeah I wasn't just referring to this specific protest. Are you saying protests can never be considered market forces?

For unskilled labor, it will only work during a growing economy with very low unemployment (actual low unemployment, not the numbers they use now).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »

No

Why not?

Here's an example, it really was the best news story of the summer but it was underreported.

http://www.boston.com/business/extra/market-basket

It was a market force because it involved employees, customers, & suppliers. This fast food thing it's actually a little sad because I think these protesters are being exploited and no one will get behind them.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
Sure, protests can be a market force, if they are well organized enough to hurt the coporations, then go for it.

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
"On June 19, 2013, Bloomberg published an article I wrote called “The Capitalist’s Case for a $15 Minimum Wage.” Forbes labeled it “Nick Hanauer’s near insane” proposal. And yet, just weeks after it was published, my friend David Rolf, a Service Employees International Union organizer, roused fast-food workers to go on strike around the country for a $15 living wage. Nearly a year later, the city of Seattle passed a $15 minimum wage. And just 350 days after my article was published, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray signed that ordinance into law. How could this happen, you ask?

It happened because we reminded the masses that they are the source of growth and prosperity, not us rich guys. We reminded them that when workers have more money, businesses have more customers—and need more employees. We reminded them that if businesses paid workers a living wage rather than poverty wages, taxpayers wouldn’t have to make up the difference. And when we got done, 74 percent of likely Seattle voters in a recent poll agreed that a $15 minimum wage was a swell idea.
Most of you probably think that the $15 minimum wage in Seattle is an insane departure from rational policy that puts our economy at great risk. But in Seattle, our current minimum wage of $9.32 is already nearly 30 percent higher than the federal minimum wage. And has it ruined our economy yet? Well, trickle-downers, look at the data here: The two cities in the nation with the highest rate of job growth by small businesses are San Francisco and Seattle. Guess which cities have the highest minimum wage? San Francisco and Seattle. The fastest-growing big city in America? Seattle. Fifteen dollars isn’t a risky untried policy for us. It’s doubling down on the strategy that’s already allowing our city to kick your city’s ass."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html#.VAspnfldWVM

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »
San Fran and Seattle are also home to some of the biggest companies in the country. Also, not sure I'm seeing the causation link btwn min wage and small business growth.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 01:33:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure $15/hr in Seattle/San Francisco translates to the $7.25/hr in Kansas. Dude conveniently leaves out cost of living.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 01:46:42 AM »
I honestly have not heard a single person say that this is a good idea (other than soundbites from protesters).
If you believe that minimum wage should be a wage which is marked to meet the base line requirements for living in America there is no denying that its rate needs to be increased based on simple costs of living increases. 

If you believe that corporations shouldn't rely on government handouts to meet the baseline requirements for living in America the wage needs to be increased.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
San Fran and Seattle are also home to some of the biggest companies in the country. Also, not sure I'm seeing the causation link btwn min wage and small business growth.

The more that money in circulation is in the hands of people who actually spend it (i.e., the lower & middle classes), the more it actually gets spent on goods and services (the basis in which our economy thrives). Thus, a significant portion would most likely be directed toward small(er) businesses who don't just offer sub-quality and dollar-cheap items (add in the effect of a growing disdain for big box stores).

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »

I think the link being made is that it didn't lead to small business death that some predicted

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »

I think the link being made is that it didn't lead to small business death that some predicted

There's no data supporting that though, at least none shown here. Now make no mistake I'm for a minimum wage increase, but $15/hr is absurd, just as absurd too assume what worked economically in Seattle and San Francisco would work in Dayton, Huntsville, Fresno, or Richmond. Seattle and SFO, Demographically and economically is nothing like most off this country.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
"On June 19, 2013, Bloomberg published an article I wrote called “The Capitalist’s Case for a $15 Minimum Wage.” Forbes labeled it “Nick Hanauer’s near insane” proposal. And yet, just weeks after it was published, my friend David Rolf, a Service Employees International Union organizer, roused fast-food workers to go on strike around the country for a $15 living wage. Nearly a year later, the city of Seattle passed a $15 minimum wage. And just 350 days after my article was published, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray signed that ordinance into law. How could this happen, you ask?

It happened because we reminded the masses that they are the source of growth and prosperity, not us rich guys. We reminded them that when workers have more money, businesses have more customers—and need more employees. We reminded them that if businesses paid workers a living wage rather than poverty wages, taxpayers wouldn’t have to make up the difference. And when we got done, 74 percent of likely Seattle voters in a recent poll agreed that a $15 minimum wage was a swell idea.
Most of you probably think that the $15 minimum wage in Seattle is an insane departure from rational policy that puts our economy at great risk. But in Seattle, our current minimum wage of $9.32 is already nearly 30 percent higher than the federal minimum wage. And has it ruined our economy yet? Well, trickle-downers, look at the data here: The two cities in the nation with the highest rate of job growth by small businesses are San Francisco and Seattle. Guess which cities have the highest minimum wage? San Francisco and Seattle. The fastest-growing big city in America? Seattle. Fifteen dollars isn’t a risky untried policy for us. It’s doubling down on the strategy that’s already allowing our city to kick your city’s ass."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html#.VAspnfldWVM

maybe the crap cleaner uppers should get $15/hr

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »

maybe the crap cleaner uppers should get $15/hr

They make much more than that already, afaik.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 12:04:34 PM »

It was a market force because it involved employees, customers, & suppliers. This fast food thing it's actually a little sad because I think these protesters are being exploited and no one will get behind them.

yeah, people are very angry and/or laughing at them. very mean.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
They are being used by the SEIU to try and bolster their dwindling rank & file. The people being arrested aren't even fast food workers, they are professional protesters hire by or members of SEIU.

https://www.uschamber.com/blog/who-s-behind-fast-food-protests

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
You would have to pay me more than I currently earn to get me to work fast food. Isn't capitalism a funny thing?

These people should just do your job then.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

yeah, people are very angry and/or laughing at them. very mean.

Hilarious. I think what SEIU is doing is just slightly more exploitative than random people on a message board pointing out how absurd their strikes are.