Author Topic: Did they have a roundtable brain storm . . .  (Read 5761 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Did they have a roundtable brain storm . . .
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
in order to come up with "White House Equities"?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2014/08/18/lawsuit-claims-white-house-reviews-hinder-foia-requests/

Over lunch perhaps . . . sandwiches and tea, probably sweet tea.   Whiteboard, or easel and big pad?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Did they have a roundtable brain storm . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »
I know this isn't your direct point.  But why don't we castigate Bush for failing to live up to the campaign promises?  Why is Obama held to a higher standard of failure when pretty much all previous administrations promised and failed to deliver in a multitude of ways?  For instance, people don't rail about Bush failing to live up to his no nation building pledge in the same way people rail against Obama's transparency issues.  Could it be that maybe Obama was just really naive in everything from state secrets, to intelligence systems, to how Washington actually works.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
I know this isn't your direct point.  But why don't we castigate Bush for failing to live up to the campaign promises?  Why is Obama held to a higher standard of failure when pretty much all previous administrations promised and failed to deliver in a multitude of ways?  For instance, people don't rail about Bush failing to live up to his no nation building pledge in the same way people rail against Obama's transparency issues.  Could it be that maybe Obama was just really naive in everything from state secrets, to intelligence systems, to how Washington actually works.

Oh please edn, you don't think Bush(es) weren't torn to shreds over campaign promises not being kept?  What kind of alternate reality do you live in?  We're going on 6 years since the last Bush was in the White House and this administration and Dems still blame him for things that are relatively net new issues, or for issues that have the flimsiest of dotted lines back to the Bush Administration.   (Like I always say.   The Obama Administration:  The Buck Never Stops Here).

The transparency farce is long since dead, buried and gone.   The real issue, and the real concern is the fact that the White House legal counsel set forth a broad, nebulous and highly subjective concept of, "White House Equities".   A clear and substantial "policy" to thwart the FOIA.   Just toss this on an impressive pile of oversteps by this administration. 

To paraphrase Jonathan Turley (soon to be former progressive liberal hero):   This administration is the one Nixon always wanted.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
Interesting comparo to Nixon....let me know when Obama expands a war into other countries and hides it from the American people or attempts to subvert the rule of law through election tampering. 

But my point isn't that people don't criticize Bush enough, its that Iraq is usually frame as an un-needed war, but not contextualized in a Bush presidency which started off with a firm no nation building stance.  Now nuanced sources will do that in some of the framing, but it isn't part of the construction of the narrative of his presidency (failing to live up to his promise), its included as a WTF moment. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
Interesting comparo to Nixon....let me know when Obama expands a war into other countries and hides it from the American people or attempts to subvert the rule of law through election tampering. 

I think most people would agree using the IRS to stop campaign contributions from conservative groups can be considered election tampering. Obama, Jarrett, and Axelrod are just better at it (so far) than Nixon.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »

But my point isn't that people don't criticize Bush enough, its that Iraq is usually frame as an un-needed war, but not contextualized in a Bush presidency which started off with a firm no nation building stance.  Now nuanced sources will do that in some of the framing, but it isn't part of the construction of the narrative of his presidency (failing to live up to his promise), its included as a WTF moment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/yemeni-victims-of-us-military-drone-strike-get-more-than-1million-in-compensation/2014/08/18/670926f0-26e4-11e4-8593-da634b334390_story.html

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »
Hey edn, let us know when you join the rest of us in 2014. 

This a domestic issue, and an administration that promised unprecedented levels of transparency that has done the exact opposite.   Not in a "well maybe we shouldn't have said that" kind of way.   In a willful, full fledged, can't believe a word that comes out of their mouth kind of way. Using every form and fashion of back channel, internalized, bureaucratic WONK methodology available.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/yemeni-victims-of-us-military-drone-strike-get-more-than-1million-in-compensation/2014/08/18/670926f0-26e4-11e4-8593-da634b334390_story.html
The Yemen missions are a well known part of US military policy in Iraq and nothing like Johnson lying about the process of a war.  Totally different to pay someone off for blowing up the wrong people than it is to say "war, what war?"

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »

This a domestic issue, and an administration that promised unprecedented levels of transparency that has done the exact opposite.   Not in a "well maybe we shouldn't have said that" kind of way.   In a willful, full fledged, can't believe a word that comes out of their mouth kind of way. Using every form and fashion of back channel, internalized, bureaucratic WONK methodology available.

And the prior administration promised no new wars, no nation building

and the admin before that promised a new road for US foreign policy and was only tough on terrorism when they needed cover for grand jury investigations (bombing of Iraq and camps the night before house report on his acts). 

and the admin before that promised no new taxes

and the admin before that.....WOW....where to start.....

point being all of these admins do the EXACT same thing, but some how you've convinced yourself that Obama is an outlier. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »

and the admin before that promised a new road for US foreign policy and was only tough on terrorism when they needed cover for grand jury investigations (bombing of Iraq and camps the night before house report on his acts). 

point being all of these admins do the EXACT same thing, but some how you've convinced yourself that Obama is an outlier.

You are right in many respects, but the biggest issue with the current administration is he is being protected by the major media. They can say whatever they like without being questioned as to the accuracy or even for further explanation. Those reporters and outlets that do question are no longer part of the club, and that reporter will be moving on to another gig.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »

The Yemen missions are a well known part of US military policy in Iraq and nothing like Johnson lying about the process of a war.  Totally different to pay someone off for blowing up the wrong people than it is to say "war, what war?"

Oh please.  Tons of drone strikes in non-warzones have been denied repeatedly.  Just because we know about them now does not mean that they were not previously secret.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »

You do realize that at least in regards to Republican administrations you only needed to turn on the usual suspect MSM outlets and you would have been deluged with a withering onslaught of criticism of most of what you speak of . . . yet for issues like this, we have to hunt and peck in obscure places, and off the beaten track.   I always enjoy how entities like the Post run articles like the one I posted in a grudging, oh-by-the-way manner.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »

Oh please.  Tons of drone strikes in non-warzones have been denied repeatedly.  Just because we know about them now does not mean that they were not previously secret.
No comment is radically different than intentionally concealing the escalation, expansion of a war and LYING about it to represented officials.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

You do realize that at least in regards to Republican administrations you only needed to turn on the usual suspect MSM outlets and you would have been deluged with a withering onslaught of criticism of most of what you speak of . . . yet for issues like this, we have to hunt and peck in obscure places, and off the beaten track.   I always enjoy how entities like the Post run articles like the one I posted in a grudging, oh-by-the-way manner.

Yeah the "MSM" isn't smart enough to link Bush's comments in the election to his presidency.  Its more a general froth about Bush staring wars of want without the internal linkage to his campaign.  IMO though. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
You are right in many respects, but the biggest issue with the current administration is he is being protected by the major media. They can say whatever they like without being questioned as to the accuracy or even for further explanation. Those reporters and outlets that do question are no longer part of the club, and that reporter will be moving on to another gig.

We are still doing this in 2014? Fox News is the most watched cable news network in America, are they a part of this conspiracy too?

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »

We are still doing this in 2014? Fox News is the most watched cable news network in America, are they a part of this conspiracy too?

They definitely are not part of the club.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »
Love when neocons talk about the media  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

Even better when Progressive Libs try to explain how down the middle CNN is, or that there's isn't a decided left bent to 4 of the 6 primary news (TV) outlets in the U.S. as well as the old (and dying) school print media.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/obama-schmoozes-reporters-at-secret-meeting#3j5a8xf

WASHINGTON — President Obama held an off-the-record meeting with select reporters from some of the nation’s largest print and online outlets Monday, in the White House’s latest effort to placate an increasingly restive press corps.

White House officials regularly meet with reporters for so-called “background briefing sessions,” where the attendees cannot be mentioned by name nor quoted directly, but Monday’s meeting was different. Initially billed as a conversation with White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough, the president made a surprise appearance — a very unusual move — and the White House placed the proceedings off the record beforehand. The meeting came amid a series of scandals crashing over the White House that has placed the administration on defense in a way it hasn’t been until now.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »

Even better when Progressive Libs try to explain how down the middle CNN is, or that there's isn't a decided left bent to 4 of the 6 primary news (TV) outlets in the U.S. as well as the old (and dying) school print media.

More Dax, more!!  :lol:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »

You've got nothing.

How . . . sad

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »

You've got nothing.

How . . . sad

no, more stuff about the liberal media!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »

I'd like to agree with a good portion of this post.  I don't agree that they are the only admin to be protected by the media since Bush got his war with VERY little media dissent (outside of MSNBC).  I will also agree that the Obama admin has done a good bit of shunning of critical reporters. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:20 PM »

You've got nothing.

How . . . sad

I'll take it that you're implying that I don't think there's a conservative media as well?

Anything about the topic at hand Seven, or you just going to keep gurgling nothingness (as usual)?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »

You've got nothing.

How . . . sad

I'll take it that you're implying that I don't think there's a conservative media as well?

Anything about the topic at hand Seven, or you just going to keep gurgling nothingness (as usual)?

i'm not implying anything you wonk, i just love hearing you neocons get all fussied up about the liberal media, it's great