Author Topic: StL County Cops Shoot Teen  (Read 233241 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: StL County Cops Shoot Teen
« Reply #1500 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
I am fine with them having said sniper rifle.  not ok with it being pointed at a non violent demonstration.  I mean, if a cop walked up to my car with his pistol out and aimed at me to initiate a traffic stop, it would it matter even if I didn't end up getting shot.

Agree.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 27, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »
The problem EMO is the the Swat teams are used now to conduct search warrants for drugs

That's risk mitigation, so what? 

http://www.wsvn.com/story/26228053/swat-raid-that-left-2-children-hurt-investigated

1)  That's Miami.  Not a small town.  Probably one of the most dangerous municipalities in the US.

2)  The kids weren't shot, they were beaten (right or wrong).  Same could have been done with a billy club or whatever they call it.  This is a poor example to cite.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 27, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Yeah those little bastards had it coming

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 27, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »
It's not like they went in spraying.   :dunno:  It really is a poor example to cite based on the argument you're trying (failing) to make.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 27, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/toddler-critically-burned-during-swat-raid/nf9SJ/

How's this example. Swat/No Knock Raids have no reason to be used in drug searches.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 27, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 27, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
That's a much better (pretty mumped up) example.  :cheers:  I agree they shouldn't toss a flash bang into a room with young children.  :D

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 27, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
Here's an interesting read on the SLC Police chief, (who I googled after seeing his officer that shot a white kid was wearing a body camera):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/chris-burbank-salt-lake-city_n_4170154.html

http://perspectivesonthenews.blogs.deseretnews.com/2013/07/10/militarization-of-local-police-nationwide-worries-salt-lake-city-chief-chris-burbank/

That is refreshing MC.

I like this quote:
"I just don't like the riot gear," Burbank says. "Some say not using it exposes my officers to a little bit more risk. That could be, but risk is part of the job. I'm just convinced that when we don riot gear, it says 'throw rocks and bottles at us.' It invites confrontation. Two-way communication and cooperation are what's important. If one side overreacts, then it all falls apart."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 27, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »
"Let's say you have neighbors complaining about a drug house on the corner," he says. "They don't feel safe. It's a menace. Now, you could do a long investigation, culminating in a big raid. But in the meantime, the neighbors still have to live with the menace. Why not just send two uniformed cops to the house that same afternoon? They knock. They say, 'Hey. Knock it off.' The drug dealers pick up and leave. No guns drawn, no raid. Which approach will have a more immediate effect on the neighborhood?"

He adds that the latter approach is also less likely to get someone killed -- whether a cop, a drug suspect or a bystander.

Burbank worries that police today get too much training in how to use different types of force, but too little training in conflict resolution.

I like this dude.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
Here's an interesting read on the SLC Police chief, (who I googled after seeing his officer that shot a white kid was wearing a body camera):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/chris-burbank-salt-lake-city_n_4170154.html

http://perspectivesonthenews.blogs.deseretnews.com/2013/07/10/militarization-of-local-police-nationwide-worries-salt-lake-city-chief-chris-burbank/

That is refreshing MC.

I like this quote:
"I just don't like the riot gear," Burbank says. "Some say not using it exposes my officers to a little bit more risk. That could be, but risk is part of the job. I'm just convinced that when we don riot gear, it says 'throw rocks and bottles at us.' It invites confrontation. Two-way communication and cooperation are what's important. If one side overreacts, then it all falls apart."

Wait wait wait, so the cops show up in riot gear, the citizens throw rocks at them, and it's the polices' fault?   :sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »
Do you idiots have any idea just how many times cops shoot unarmed citizens of any race and it doesn't become national news? I put a link in this thread like 10 days ago of LAPD shooting and killing an unarmed black man who was mentally handicapped, no one batted an eye. I really don't understand the stupid strawman that the libtard media will only talk about this when it happens to a black person and every time it happens it is national news, cut the crap. This Michael Brown story didn't become news when it happened, it became news when the citizens started to protest, some started to riot, the media got wind of the history of Ferguson PD and its citizens, and the FPD and STL Sheriff's started arresting media members. Cops shooting people has absolutely become "Dog Bites Man." The Brown/Ferguson story has several elements that are "Man Bites Dog."

This is a great point. I've mentioned a couple times how there is no one officially tracking cops killing people. There's this unofficial site that started last May that has found almost 1500 (which averages to about 1100/year).

https://www.facebook.com/KilledByPolice

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/another-much-higher-count-of-police-homicides/

good for the people of Ferguson for drawing attention to this.
pffft, the Bada Bing thread on Shaggybevo has been cataloging these cases for years - any thread title with Bernard in it is a situation like this.  Bernard is/was a poster that had a lot in common with sys w/regard to the police.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
Which escalates a situation more, showing up with tanks and guns drawn, or a more reasonable approach?
:adios:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:41 PM »

That is refreshing MC.

I like this quote:

Wait wait wait, so the cops show up in riot gear, the citizens throw rocks at them, and it's the polices' fault?   :sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek:

I think the point is that there are ways to defuse the situations and prevent violence, and showing up looking like a bunch of storm troopers isn't one of them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: August 27, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »

That is refreshing MC.

I like this quote:

yeah because that's totally what he said.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
the pro gun, anti militarized police state people are as confused by all this as the racists who also hate the police

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 27, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
I mean if cops show up in my neighborhood with riot gear on, I don't rock/bottle their asses, I call mayor and complain.  I might even move and pay property taxes elsewhere.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 27, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
I mean if cops show up in my neighborhood with riot gear on, I don't rock/bottle their asses, I call mayor and complain.  I might even move and pay property taxes elsewhere.

What if they shot your neighbor and then told you to deal with it?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 27, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
What if their guns are pointed at you while you are peacefully assembled with a group of like-minded people?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: August 27, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
In my limited experience, most small town mayors are complete dumbasses. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
A couple weeks ago, Chicago had snipers set up on downtown buildings because an Israel-Palestine related protest was scheduled... What the eff is that all about?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 27, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
A couple weeks ago, Chicago had snipers set up on downtown buildings because an Israel-Palestine related protest was scheduled... What the eff is that all about?

An ounce of sniper riffles is worth a pound of racial tension.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 27, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »

What if they shot your neighbor and then told you to deal with it?

Then I'd move.  I sure as crap wouldn't escalate the violence.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: August 27, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
no one is buying the house next to where ppl get shot by cops all willy nilly, tho.